[Event] 24Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

We then started getting ready, was waiting around for the guys to get ready when we noticed PhilipV was gone - we thought he had gone for a PRD, but the sneaky bugger pulled a race move and went out for a solo ride - he clearly wanted to win the side bet!

That put the final tally at:

14 for PhilipV (On a Giant Trance with slow rolling tyres),

13 for Jakkals (On a Giant Trance with slow rolling tyres and flat pedals),

12 for me, and Hansolo (and that on a rigid bike - kudos!),

CJVan on 10 (Try not cancel yourself on a trail run 2 days before the event next time)

My money was on CJVan for the win, but it seems Philip's competitive racing side came out for the victory.

All said and done, it was an awesome weeked, lekker camping, better company!

Hats of to the sharp end of the race, you guys are not human!

Tbh, I prefer to ride this alone, so the sneaky move was partly to be alone, and partly because I wanted to get ahead, as my laps were slower than yours.

The trailbike was actually a very comfortable ride, and the 46t was granny enough that I get slog uphill slowly rather than having to stand and pedal, or worse, push it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, I prefer to ride this alone, so the sneaky move was partly to be alone, and partly because I wanted to get ahead, as my laps were slower than yours.

The trailbike was actually a very comfortable ride, and the 46t was granny enough that I get slog uphill slowly rather than having to stand and pedal, or worse, push it.

I don't blame you, riding alone at night is a pretty awesome experience. That was my initial plan, but if it hadn't been for Jakkals I think I would've done one or two less laps this weekend.

I’m pretty sure a dietitian somewhere just choked on his whole wheat and avo toast sarmie after seeing that healthy spread.

Let's be honest - there's not a whole lot of healthy living going on at a 24hr, from the sadomasochistic self-abuse to the beer drinking and kuiering. I say go all in on the processed carbs and caffeine and worry about the consequences later.

Thanks for sharing, that's a serious selection!

I tried to take a large selection to hopefully have something that I'd feel like. But looks like additional variety in drinks is in order!

i had the bizarre craving for coffee on my ride . Never had craving for it before...   That and tons of plain water.

i had the bizarre craving for coffee on my ride . Never had craving for it before... That and tons of plain water.

Iced coffee...now there's a thought!

Let's be honest - there's not a whole lot of healthy living going on at a 24hr, from the sadomasochistic self-abuse to the beer drinking and kuiering. I say go all in on the processed carbs and caffeine and worry about the consequences later.

We even had some Uitkyk 10yr old Brandy on ice while braaiing.

If one is riding like you, everything is digested and burnt so quickly it can't do much harm.

Unpopular opinion:

The heat will only be a factor when you don't prepare for it properly.

I believe if you do enough rides in heat, then a race in heat won't affect you as much as if you didn't. I did rides from 12-2 while on holiday now, in the heat of the day, and went out in midday in some of the previous heatwave we had, and I didn't feel affected by it so much this weekend. Well I went from a 500ml bottle to a 750ml bottle per lap, and I sprayed myself down with a sprayer after some warm laps, but other than that it was fine.

Unpopular opinion:

I believe if you do enough rides in heat, then a race in heat won't affect you as much as if you didn't.

As someone who took major strain in the heat I'd have to say I agree.

However, that also assumes that the intensity of your training rides match how you rode the race.

In my case I threw all my plans out the window and let my competitive spirit overtake my abilities & preparation (in the heat & considering the length of race)..

Unpopular opinion:

I believe if you do enough rides in heat, then a race in heat won't affect you as much as if you didn't. I did rides from 12-2 while on holiday now, in the heat of the day, and went out in midday in some of the previous heatwave we had, and I didn't feel affected by it so much this weekend. Well I went from a 500ml bottle to a 750ml bottle per lap, and I sprayed myself down with a sprayer after some warm laps, but other than that it was fine.

Heat, like anything else, can be trained for. And this is the perfect approach. And what would the 24hr be without the heat? It's as much part of the race as is Meurant's legendary race briefings, and his cool choice of music ;)

Back in the days when we were still allowed to bath, another technique would be to climb into a hot bath after a ride

Unpopular opinion:

Yes very true and well reasoned,......however if your first lap is 36min odd and the 2nd isn't much slower and the guy who wins it is a bit more circumspect with his staring laps then you're on a hiding to nowhere quickly. That will teach me to stick on Gerhard Dirks wheel.......crazy fool!!! :cursing:

By the tie I realised I was overheating it was too late and the head gasket went  :nuke:

So for guys that want to try the 24hrs thing earlier . I see Around the pot now have 200 miler option

https://www.aroundthepot.co.za/200miler  at R900 .. 

crap .. crap .. crap. 

hahahaha I saw that..... I was so tempted till I saw the dates. I'm not sure if I will be walking yet after the Tusker run 1st few days of July.

It looks awesome. I would suggest a 'must do' event on the cycling calendar for those who enjoy going long

This was what I took to OakValley in 2017 (I didn't have a photo from this year, but it's mostly the same).

IMG-20170126-WA0004.jpeg

I started off eating quite well, but after about 8 hours switched to mostly fluids. Coke, Mountain Dew, and Enduren. I couldn't stomach the chocolate milk, and I lost all interest in the jelly babies.

Towards the end as the race was heating up, I popped some gels.

My theory is to take enough stuff that should you have a craving you're ok, and you never quite know what's going to work.

My 5 year old son thinks bike racing is the greatest thing ever, because I came home with so many snacks!

Add in biltong, Damascus nougat, future life and Copenhagen's and you have my race pantry right there.

I notice no red bulls, I also don't like to play that game

Add in biltong, Damascus nougat, future life and Copenhagen's and you have my race pantry right there.

I notice no red bulls, I also don't like to play that game

He he. I had some biltong this year but after chewing away at it for half a lap I eventually spat out into the bushes and never tried it again.

I did have two Red Bulls this year. My emergency stash which I had to crack out just before daylight.

Yes very true and well reasoned,......however if your first lap is 36min odd and the 2nd isn't much slower and the guy who wins it is a bit more circumspect with his staring laps then you're on a hiding to nowhere quickly. That will teach me to stick on Gerhard Dirks wheel.......crazy fool!!! :cursing:

By the tie I realised I was overheating it was too late and the head gasket went  :nuke:

Thankfully you couldn't get past his calves on the single track, or you would really have popped.