[Event] 24Hours Of Oak Valley

Dirtopia MTB Events

Also getting lekker excited for this event now. Should be working, but instead I am putting together my camping list and thinking race (aka survival) strategy. The last time I did a 24 hour race it was on a very flat course in a team format, this will be the first solo one for me, so should be interesting.

My favourite part of any 24 hour event is the riding when the sun goes down. It's the only time I'm not overheating worse than a Landy in the Karoo; and ven though the going is a bit slower, the feeling of just the bike and that little patch of light in front of you is just awesome.

My only concern is the e-bike category, the route mixed with ebikes could potentially cause a bit of havoc.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems Dane Walsh is riding again, he'll always stick up his hand for Solo honors.

Will we see Herman Hattingh dominating again?

Lance Stephenson has been hinting about it on his Instagram, another masochistic person who can take the Solo win.

Or is there someone new waiting behind the curtains to surprise us?

Thanks PhilipV - this is my retirement race. (I know I always say this, but I'm serious this time - I'm getting to old for this self abuse!)

Another name to watch is Grant Lottering. He can certainly do the distance.

Was just about to throw is name in the hat! Since Darling TTU 24hr race didn't take place in October he must be hungry for a 24hour race by now. The last one he clocked around 340km with just under 6000m of climbing.

To win Oak Valley you need to do around 32 laps, which works out to be about 380kms and around 8000m of climbing. Enough to make me want to curl into a ball and cry!

Thanks PhilipV - this is my retirement race. (I know I always say this, but I'm serious this time - I'm getting to old for this self abuse!)

To win Oak Valley you need to do around 32 laps, which works out to be about 380kms and around 8000m of climbing. Enough to make me want to curl into a ball and cry!

Einaaa! Thats almost an everesting. Must be brutal on your body. We dont have that kind of terrain this side of SA. Flat and fast. Will plan to come do this one in the future. Looks like fun...and pain????

Einaaa! Thats almost an everesting. Must be brutal on your body. We dont have that kind of terrain this side of SA. Flat and fast. Will plan to come do this one in the future. Looks like fun...and pain

12km loop and ~260m climb per loop

its as tough as you make it.  Lot people aim for 10 laps, thats still a proper distance. (6-7 on first day, braai/sleep, rest of laps the next morning )

what is nice you only need cary water with you, each lap is short enough that you snack at start/finish and order the next round of food/drink from support at same time (unless they sleeping, then you hope they did not leave coolerbag empty)

Charged the lights, actually eventually entered,  some snacks already bought.  My k2a is geboek

Edited by Karman de Lange

So it seems Dane Walsh is riding again, he'll always stick up his hand for Solo honors.

Will we see Herman Hattingh dominating again?

Lance Stephenson has been hinting about it on his Instagram, another masochistic person who can take the Solo win.

Or is there someone new waiting behind the curtains to surprise us?

Oh, and don't forget William Keith - a former winner from way back 90mm suspension up front was excessive, and 26ers ruled the roost!

We've heard this retirement argument too many times now, not even you believe yourself anymore HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, and don't forget William Keith - a former winner from way back 90mm suspension up front was excessive, and 26ers ruled the roost!

So my 80mm Specialized Epic Marathon 26" would be better option ? (now you make me ponder)

We've heard this retirement argument too many times now, not even you believe yourself anymore HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We've successfully avoided the lure of 36One for a couple of years now - I think I can do the same here. Also, it doesn't help that the next 24hr will be in 2022 - I'll be old and jittery by then!

I never thought about it like that, that's an insane amount of climbing in 24hrs :eek:

All the best :thumbup:

standard talk it down statement from the Walshman

Umm  2020 route updated on the website:

Lap distance: just over 12km. Elevation around 350m

my spez with 3x9 looking more and more appealing.

/me off to get e-bike

I doubt it will actually be that much elevation. Google maps tends to overestimate it a bit, and looking at my past ride data there I don't see how it can be that much.

I am gonna guess around the 280m mark - but that is just a guess. Either way, it's lots of elevation. Thinking of fitting a smaller chainring for the weekend so I can just spin out the hills nicely. Don't think grinding up any hills is going to be a smart tactic.

We've successfully avoided the lure of 36One for a couple of years now - I think I can do the same here. Also, it doesn't help that the next 24hr will be in 2022 - I'll be old and jittery by then!

The 2 year wait is a bugger for sure, but also gives you lots of time to forget the pain.......oops I did again, last time I promise

I doubt it will actually be that much elevation. Google maps tends to overestimate it a bit, and looking at my past ride data there I don't see how it can be that much.

I am gonna guess around the 280m mark - but that is just a guess. Either way, it's lots of elevation. Thinking of fitting a smaller chainring for the weekend so I can just spin out the hills nicely. Don't think grinding up any hills is going to be a smart tactic.

There extra climb now in the middle."JK’s Edge."  not sure about details ....

anyone have link to "old route" on strava?