[Event] The MTB Challenge

Pedal Power Association

I had as hard a day out in Banhoek as I anticipated 

Better to be safe than sorry I think, I also walked a few of the sandy downhill switchback sections. It wasn't an easy course; my friends struggled a lot, one almost didn't make the cutoff. Well done on attempting it and persevering, and even more well done for helping others :)

Edited by aquaratza

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to be safe than sorry I think, I also walked a few of the sandy downhill switchback sections. It wasn't an easy course; my friends struggled a lot, one almost didn't make the cutoff. Well done on attempting it and persevering, and even more well done for helping others :)

Again I'll say this was not an easy ride even for moderately fit riders.

I have a LOT of respect for the guys at the back end who are half as fit as me and still manage to finish the race.

I always feel sorry for the one's who come in and prize giving and lucky draws have already finished.

I always feel sorry for the one's who come in and prize giving and lucky draws have already finished.

This worries me less than no foods stalls being still there

Again I'll say this was not an easy ride even for moderately fit riders.

I have a LOT of respect for the guys at the back end who are half as fit as me and still manage to finish the race.

A mate of mine decided to do the Gravel Travel 50km after two weeks of cycling. He finished dead last hours after everyone, but at least had the sense of humor left to post a pic on Strava of his vehicle parked all alone on that big open field with not another soul in sight.

A mate of mine decided to do the Gravel Travel 50km after two weeks of cycling. He finished dead last hours after everyone, but at least had the sense of humor left to post a pic on Strava of his vehicle parked all alone on that big open field with not another soul in sight.

Same thing happened to me in 2009 with the Karoo 2 coast. Not even a finish line when I eventually got to the finish. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji3061]

Did the 60km with my old man - views were incredible, organisation was quality, and the dip in the river at 50km was pure bliss! Still, I don't think either of us will be back again. Neither of us are particularly fit at the moment (fractured ankle towards end of 2019 for me and constant travel for work for my dad) so took some strain doing the distance in the heat.

But the many, many walkers, super sandy and dusty sections, lack of fun, flowing single track, and the numerous boxes who (if they even had the decency to announce themselves) would shout to pass and bully people out the way even when there's no point in doing so, are what put me off. I'm by all measures a fairly average rider, and I really didn't think it was a technical race - the switchbacks weren't too sharp, descents weren't too fast, and no technical single track that I can recall.

The only times I had to walk was when someone on an e-bike caused a bunch of us to stop when he decided to climb off his bike in front of us just as a short, steep uphill started (and then proceeded to tell us all not to push our bikes past him because he wanted to ride), and again near the end of that very long sandy section of the road. Otherwise it was all very manageable (even that section with the cliff drop-off; but I can totally understand people opting to walk - rather safe than sorry if you're not comfortable!).

For the XC boys I can imagine it would have been lots of fun, so fair game! But wasn't my cup of tea - different strokes for different folks. Still had a blast being out there on such a beautiful day though. All the best to those riding CTCT this weekend.

I thought that the 30km course would have been too easy but the 60km one was too long for me. I was never an endurance athlete and ageing has deleted what I had.

For me the sweet spot is 45-50km distance

eBikes... man, let them start looong time after the last group. Ideally on the next day. As an eBiking buddy of mine said: "It is a different sport". That is great, and I respect that. So stay true to it. Don't mix it up...it doesn't mix well, really...

eBikes... man, let them start looong time after the last group. Ideally on the next day. As an eBiking buddy of mine said: "It is a different sport". That is great, and I respect that. So stay true to it. Don't mix it up...it doesn't mix well, really...

After my experience with ebikes at the MTB challenge I am much more aligned to views of the anti ebike sharing events crowd than I was. So much more now than if someone slipped a petition under my nose I’d probably sign in pencil whereas 6 months ago I’d have used it for toilet paper. In these shorter events they have enough range to be an unnecessary nuisance

Better to be safe than sorry I think, I also walked a few of the sandy downhill switchback sections. :)

Just out of curiosity, do you ride with cleats or flat pedals?

eBikes... man, let them start looong time after the last group. Ideally on the next day. 

LOL - I think they can help to increase the rider total, and income, an event makes. 

But yeah - start at the back, do not ask to pass - do so only when safe. 

OK, makes sense then. I could ride everything with flats although I did have to put my foot out on some of those switchbacks. 

Haha, it's not the cleats, I'm actually pretty good with cleats. I'm just really generally unskilled and super risk averse ????????.

Haha, it's not the cleats, I'm actually pretty good with cleats. I'm just really generally unskilled and super risk averse .

You sir, need a few appointments with Mr. Jonkers. Start with Never Ending Story, and work you way up to the big boys, like the Plumber. Make sure you have medical ensurance before attempting the Plumber.

Edited by Moridin

OK, makes sense then. I could ride everything with flats although I did have to put my foot out on some of those switchbacks. 

Haha, it's not the cleats, I'm actually pretty good with cleats. I'm just really generally unskilled and super risk averse .

Don't think it's a cleats vs flats thing - I ride cleats (would love to give flats a go though) and never had any issues with the course. I saw way too many people struggle on every downhill switchback we came across... like @Aquaratza said, think it's mostly down to being 'unskilled' as a result of never having ridden on those types of surfaces.