Site Update: What's New & Feedback

Matt

@Nickis it possible to disable the "follow topic" switch by default. I'm so tired of having to change it every time I post on a thread...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

I thought about an interesting loop hole this morning when using BHP. So let's say I am the buyer of a certain item or kit. I use BHP and the item arrives on a Friday or even a Thursday for that matter. I then decide to fit the item to my bike and take it out for a test run before confirming that the item has been delivered. After testing it I then return it and claim it to not be what I am looking for / want. Is there something that safeguards the seller against something like this? 

15 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I thought about an interesting loop hole this morning when using BHP. So let's say I am the buyer of a certain item or kit. I use BHP and the item arrives on a Friday or even a Thursday for that matter. I then decide to fit the item to my bike and take it out for a test run before confirming that the item has been delivered. After testing it I then return it and claim it to not be what I am looking for / want. Is there something that safeguards the seller against something like this? 

It almost comes to the point where a seller has to take a comprehensive set of pics at the time of boxing and shipping?

19 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I would think there is more behind the reasons for just sending it back after testing. Maybe condition or misleading ad. I wouldn't sort shipping make payments etc for something I didn't want but I would send it back if it was not as advertised or in a condition I expected.  I would hold payments release till sorted that's what BHP is for.

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It almost comes to the point where a seller has to take a comprehensive set of pics at the time of boxing and shipping?

One can never tell if you're joking 😁. I mean I know that the seller takes comprehensive photos of the item he / she sells but one ride may not cause damage to your product, I am merely concerned about the elapsed time and or the ethical side of things

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

I would think there is more behind the reasons for just sending it back after testing. Maybe condition or misleading ad. I wouldn't sort shipping make payments etc for something I didn't want but I would send it back if it was not as advertised or in a condition I expected.  I would hold payments release till sorted that's what BHP is for.

But put on your Dexter hat quickly: Let say I have a race coming up and I know that I will need a new piece or hardware for this race. I then scroll through the classifieds, put an offer on BHP, pay the amount, receive the item before the event, do the event and return the item 🫢

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Spelling

14 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

But put on your Dexter hat quickly: Let say I have a race coming up and I know that I will need a new piece or hardware for this race. I then scroll through the classifieds, put an offer on BHP, pay the amount, receive the item before the event, do the event and return the item 🫢

As a seller I would probably be a little pissed and not much I can do but move on. The big wheel will turn and he will have his day he obviously don't work on the same moral compass as you and maybe me. 

6 hours ago, Barry said:

As a seller I would probably be a little pissed and not much I can do but move on. The big wheel will turn and he will have his day he obviously don't work on the same moral compass as you and maybe me. 

do you know how common Robert's scenario is ? It happens in many industries.

In the motor trade you often get people wanted to "test drive" a car over an evening or weekend, only to find out they just needed it for an event, or to move house etc.

Back in my childhood we had family friends that would buy clothing from a shop, leave the label on, atttend a wedding/part and then return the item.

7 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

You're quite right that it's possible a buyer does some joyriding or damages an item somehow and then wants to return it. It's a risk that we identified on launching the service and I think have discussed somewhere on the forums. 

Thankfully in over 3,700 completed deals it's behaviour we've yet to encounter. Not to say that it can't happen or won't in time/with scale.

There are some aspects of Bike Hub Pay that help to guard against this:

1. Return shipping costs are the buyer's responsibility
  2. Bike Hub holds the funds and in the case of a dispute that we're unable to resolve we'd refer the matter to the small claims court or arbitration. i.e. the joyriding buyer is going to be minus their money until the matter is resolved.

21 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

In the motor trade you often get people wanted to "test drive" a car over an evening or weekend, only to find out they just needed it for an event, or to move house etc.

Back in my childhood we had family friends that would buy clothing from a shop, leave the label on, atttend a wedding/part and then return the item.

See above, I suspect the money being held in Bike Hub Pay's case helps to deter such behaviour vs. a car demo that I'm guessing is without any kind of deposit, etc.?

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

We get it in retail as well. Customers buy stuff because they having a party and need "props" then they return it on a Monday. Most of the time with parts missing or broken.

Slightly off topic but I know of someone that adds stuff to their order on takealot to get the free shipping and then does a return of said stuff. Humans don’t like to play by the rules and suck a lot. The world would be better if we were a little more mindful of others. 

On 4/24/2024 at 8:16 AM, RobertWhitehead said:

I'd suggest that dishonest people are dishonest people no matter what system is used to complete the transaction.

Ultimately, BikeHub pay is a LOT safer and better than the blind trust scenario.

29 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd suggest that dishonest people are dishonest people no matter what system is used to complete the transaction.

Ultimately, BikeHub pay is a LOT safer and better than the blind trust scenario.

Definitely, agree