UPS for Kickr

Zatek

Okay so i know this is an old thread but on topic

Current round of load-shedding for my area right over my ID training time in the afternoon

I bought a UA60 Kstar UPS (spec can be found here https://www.kstar.com/LineInteractiveUPS/10162.jhtml)  some months back basically to run my WiFi during load-shedding and wanted to know if it would run my Kickr for an hour using TR app off my iPhone - I go searching Google, because I'm a dumbass on all things electrical especially calculations and i get brought onto this thread.

The long and short of it i got 1 hr 20 min before the UPS shut down - Maybe this info helps answer if a 600 ronds UPS will run a Kickr trainer  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Okay so i know this is an old thread but on topic

Current round of load-shedding for my area right over my ID training time in the afternoon

I bought a UA60 Kstar UPS (spec can be found here https://www.kstar.com/LineInteractiveUPS/10162.jhtml)  some months back basically to run my WiFi during load-shedding and wanted to know if it would run my Kickr for an hour using TR app off my iPhone - I go searching Google, because I'm a dumbass on all things electrical especially calculations and i get brought onto this thread.

The long and short of it i got 1 hr 20 min before the UPS shut down - Maybe this info helps answer if a 600 ronds UPS will run a Kickr trainer  

The problem is that these little batteries DONT like a full drain .....

We bit the bullet in 2019.  105Ah gel battery and a Victron Multiplus unit. This is just ups on steroids.

Tv, media and wifi is permanently connected to this.

Our loadshed started at 18.00 .... system just carried on :)

A typical loadshed use less than 30% of the battery capacity, so many years of service.

I can connect a lead if I need the home pc during this period..... or run the Kikr ... :)

19 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The problem is that these little batteries DONT like a full drain .....

We bit the bullet in 2019.  105Ah gel battery and a Victron Multiplus unit. This is just ups on steroids.

Tv, media and wifi is permanently connected to this.

Our loadshed started at 18.00 .... system just carried on :)

A typical loadshed use less than 30% of the battery capacity, so many years of service.

I can connect a lead if I need the home pc during this period..... or run the Kikr ... :)

Well to be honest the Trainer didn't completely drain the UPS - Kickr was connected probably for 1 hr 10 min and it was still running when I finished and disconnected it - I then switched on my WiFi router and about 10 - 15 minutes later the UPS started beeping faster which means it about to shut down and then the power came on. 

The short answer is YES, it will work but for how long is what you're asking. Even though you've replied while I was typing, I found this quite useful from Shane Miller (aka GPLama).

He listed the power consumption at different power outputs and gears/rpms. On a Kickr pushing 200W in 53/17 at 100rpm, you'll use 2.5W - that's nothing. If you do harder efforts, you can see how much more it consumes.

https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/08/smart-trainer-mains-power-usage.html

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

The short answer is YES, it will work but for how long is what you're asking. Even though you've replied while I was typing, I found this quite useful from Shane Miller (aka GPLama).

He listed the power consumption at different power outputs and gears/rpms. On a Kickr pushing 200W in 53/17 at 100rpm, you'll use 2.5W - that's nothing. If you do harder efforts, you can see how much more it consumes.

https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/08/smart-trainer-mains-power-usage.html

That is very low power draw :)