UPS for Kickr

Zatek

many years ago Koeberg was close to the total usage of the Cape, not sure how current that is anymore ... been LOTS of developments since then.

But YES, Koeberg is seen as part of the national grid, and during load shedding current flows OUT of the Cape support the larger grid.

about 5 years back Steenbras was used to reduce the loadshedding in the Cape.  Seems this practice has been halted ...

maybe we should all park our "trainers", and get Dynos on our bikes to charge up the grid ....  :eek:

As far as I know the pumped storage scheme is still used to reduce load shedding for COCT. The problem at the moment is that there is not enough excess power during the night to pump the water back up the mountain so there is no generating capacity during the peak hours from the pumped scheme.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running a house for 24 hours is not a ups. That is literally a functional impossibility.

No, it is not a functional impossibility - with a correctly sized UPS, and enough battery backup, you can run it forever.

The UPS itself would not be physically huge - but the battery bank will be fairly large.

No, it is not a functional impossibility - with a correctly sized UPS, and enough battery backup, you can run it forever.

The UPS itself would not be physically huge - but the battery bank will be fairly large.

A ups cannot handle the power draw of a house. The batteries are not the issue. A house will trip a ups long before the batteries get involved.

I use the Bushido, Ipad, and wifi. Wifi can run on UPS for around 9 hours, only draws like 8 watt per hour. Only issue is heat/ sweat as no fan available. 

A ups cannot handle the power draw of a house. The batteries are not the issue. A house will trip a ups long before the batteries get involved.

bull****!!! - you do understand that data centers with a draw of megawatts use UPS's - a house is chickenfeed in comparison = my little office 15kva UPS has enough capacity to handle a large house's maximum normal draw easily - with enough batteries to hold my office up for an hour, it's about 1000mm tall, 300mm wide and 700deep - and in the greater scheme of things it's a tiny UPS.

Do not compare a little under desk UPS to a proper device.

It all depends on the amount of watts drawn. I would suggest looking at the specifications of all equipment you would like to use and then calculate the rating of the UPS required.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. We can use our unemployment / hobo problem and our power stability problem as a fire/ice solution.

Give every unemployed oke and/or hobo a bike with a dyno, communal living space and food, have him earn it and some $$ by pedaling. Keeps people off the streets, generates tons of clean energy, reduces crime and the load on our public healthcare system from weight-based diseases.

I'll take the opportunity to coin it = Hobotricity ®

nice idea.

if each hobo can generate 200W 12 hours a day, we could run the grid with two shifts of hobos.

would only require 150m hobos per shift.

We would obviously use generator machines that are 100% efficient, and feed them with sand and seawater as that's what we have a lot of.

bull****!!! - you do understand that data centers with a draw of megawatts use UPS's - a house is chickenfeed in comparison = my little office 15kva UPS has enough capacity to handle a large house's maximum normal draw easily - with enough batteries to hold my office up for an hour, it's about 1000mm tall, 300mm wide and 700deep - and in the greater scheme of things it's a tiny UPS.

Do not compare a little under desk UPS to a proper device.

Your confusing an inverter with a ups.

You get ALLOT of various kinds and sizes of of UPS.

Careful who you point out to be confused...

Try ABB for properly decent sized UPS devices.... sinetech don't normally play with the big boys.

For Reme - this is a cut and paste from the Sinetech site.

Power level: from 700VA to 100KVA (or several MVA with imported systems which can be paralleled)

No normal house will use 100kva....... let alone approach anything like 1 MVA

Ja... how many of eskoms missing megawatts are in the legs of the local mamils....

The irony of needing electricity to power something involved with an activity they could genuinely be used to generate electricity.......

No, he isn't.

Our office has a dual 80KVA UPS, each would comfortably run your house. The batteries are specced to last 30 mins at full load - ie it would probably run your house including geysers and oven for a load shedding cycle. That's a UPS, not an inverter (market terminology used for "inverter").

Edit: they are 60kVA each not 80.

Edited by madbradd

The inverter is simply the part of the UPS that takes power from a DC battery bank at 12/24/48 (or whatever volts) and supply AC current in an appropriate voltage for the specific application - in ZA usually 240 or 380V.

Even the small little UPS units running off a 7Ah alarm battery has a built-in inverter to supply the 240V.

Edited by seven