UPS for Kickr

Zatek

Running a house for 24 hours is not a ups. That is literally a functional impossibility.

UPS => uninterruptable power supply.  Battery bank with inverter --> UPS ..  Go to APC website and have look , many ups's will run any home for long time, but you need the R 1mil or 2 to obtain it

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPS => uninterruptable power supply. Battery bank with inverter --> UPS .. Go to APC website and have look , many ups's will run any home for long time, but you need the R 1mil or 2 to obtain it

So you spell out an acronym and then say your actually using an inverter which is a completely different piece of hardware. A ups tops out at 2ka and cannot handle a high power draw, inverter on the other hand you can go bat **** crazy with.

That's like trying to say a scateboard and a ferrari are the same thing cause they have wheels.

Okayyyyy .... almost Friday ... so let's turn up the heat .....

The Kickr unit is only 60W, so can easily run off a UPS - standard computer sized 2kVA unit.

BUT, what about:

- your PC ?

- your big screen ?

- your internet connection ?

- your FAN !! ?

would take a bit more information, and few more calculations, to properly comment on the original question .....

PS - a 100A.h battery and an inverter (bit more than a standard UPS) barely copes with DStv and a big screen for 2 hours .....

A generator may well be the better option ..... friend's generator costs R75 per loadshed in fuel, granted he runs a home office from it ...

If it's raining so hard that the coal gets wet, I ain't riding outside!

hey .... Koeberg dont use coal .....  :whistling: 

hey .... Koeberg dont use coal .....  :whistling: 

dunno how true/current (no punn intended), but read somewhere that Koeberg can and (has previously) power(ed) the whole western cape on its own....but because it's plugged into the national grid....we have to deal with the rest of the countries coal age bullcrap too.

I wont complain though.....I havent had a seconds worth of LS yet....my suburb seems to be a grey area lol. Don't really know why. In GP we just made sure we rented places in suburbs close to embassies....then LS is something you also only read about in the news lol 

Okayyyyy .... almost Friday ... so let's turn up the heat .....

The Kickr unit is only 60W, so can easily run off a UPS - standard computer sized 2kVA unit.

BUT, what about:

- your PC ?

- your big screen ?

- your internet connection ?

- your FAN !! ?

would take a bit more information, and few more calculations, to properly comment on the original question .....

PS - a 100A.h battery and an inverter (bit more than a standard UPS) barely copes with DStv and a big screen for 2 hours .....

A generator may well be the better option ..... friend's generator costs R75 per loadshed in fuel, granted he runs a home office from it ...

Sufferfest on Ipad running video's in offline mode ..

Fan , get wife/hasbeen to blow (on) you

so only need small ups for kickr

Sufferfest on Ipad running video's in offline mode ..

Fan , get wife/hasbeen to blow (on) you

so only need small ups for kickr

so many possible answers ....  :eek:  :ph34r:

back on topic ..... clearly the answer would differ for each user.  for the classic "big-screen-pain-cave" setups more than a UPS would be required ..... as for the "air flow"  ....  :whistling:  

dunno how true/current (no punn intended), but read somewhere that Koeberg can and (has previously) power(ed) the whole western cape on its own....but because it's plugged into the national grid....we have to deal with the rest of the countries coal age bullcrap too.

I wont complain though.....I havent had a seconds worth of LS yet....my suburb seems to be a grey area lol. Don't really know why. In GP we just made sure we rented places in suburbs close to embassies....then LS is something you also only read about in the news lol 

many years ago Koeberg was close to the total usage of the Cape, not sure how current that is anymore ... been LOTS of developments since then.

But YES, Koeberg is seen as part of the national grid, and during load shedding current flows OUT of the Cape support the larger grid.

about 5 years back Steenbras was used to reduce the loadshedding in the Cape.  Seems this practice has been halted ...

maybe we should all park our "trainers", and get Dynos on our bikes to charge up the grid ....  :eek:

The irony of needing electricity to power something involved with an activity they could genuinely be used to generate electricity.......

totally, was my first thought.

Surely the obvious thing here is the fan being mechanically driven by the indoor trainer

the city would make us get permits and fine us if we didn't! #asshats

but if we promised to use the cycling lanes on Zwift, and to stop at red traffic lights ?

passed on all the PV regs to a friend today ... so YES, still fresh in our minds how they love to over regulate ....

maybe we should all park our "trainers", and get Dynos on our bikes to charge up the grid ....  :eek:

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. We can use our unemployment / hobo problem and our power stability problem as a fire/ice solution.

Give every unemployed oke and/or hobo a bike with a dyno, communal living space and food, have him earn it and some $$ by pedaling. Keeps people off the streets, generates tons of clean energy, reduces crime and the load on our public healthcare system from weight-based diseases.

I'll take the opportunity to coin it = Hobotricity ®