Jaws677

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't trust your wrist measurement devices, hey

Take it with a pinch of EPO

Yup.. Some of the numbers I've seen posted here suggest we have some super athletes amidst us

Yup.. Some of the numbers I've seen posted here suggest we have some super athletes amidst us

Yeah I don't read too much into it. But I am interested in the relative difference anyway. For instance 2 months ago I was completely unfit but I started riding pretty regularly again (150km per week). My resting heart rate has gone down by 15bpm over that period. And I had a couple of beers the other night and it when up by 20bpm for that night's sleep.  

So I use it as a marker for general fitness and being aware of what affects the quality of my sleep. When I'm fit, it sometimes drops into the high 30s during deep sleep, but mostly it's low 40s during sleep. But if that was any indication of me being a great athlete.....well then I would have been a great athlete. I've spent enough time on the bike (and running) that, if there was any hidden talent, it would have made itself known by now!

does anybody ride there bike without a computer attached to them.?

I wouldn't have a clue what my min., max., bp, etc is.

Me

I have normal bike computers with speed cadence distance etc 

Could not be bothered with all the other stuff.Im a bit of a minimalist 

Around 43-44.

When i had my vasectomy a few years back it dropped to 33 while under anaesthetic.

Off Topic, You were allowed to leave a watch on?

My missus is pushing for me to go for the snip, getting a wrist based HR watch for xmas so keen to start seeing mine and when I eventually "grow a pair of balls" to go for the snip I'm keen to see what mine(HR, before Patch asks about something else) does.

When I went for my Iliac artery endofribosis I kept on setting the alarm off with a min set at 40 - took a while for me to explain I was fit and they need to set the limit lower :)

When you wake up from surgery and you're told the anaesthesiologist panicked when your HR dropped below 30... ^_^

How are you guys measuring resting HR ? When you just wake up and still in bed ? Let your watch do it while you sleep ?

When I measure mine either sitting on the couch or sitting at my desk its usually between mid 60s and low to mid 70s. Should I be worried ?

I max out at 187

You should always panic when reading medical advice on the hub... :ph34r:

Min 40
Max 185

BP 120/75 (I am on natural hypertension medication though)
Age 37

Always funny how I see my sleeping HR not dip as much after a few dops. Body working overtime to get rid of the crap

Min 40

Max 185

BP 120/75 (I am on natural hypertension medication though)

Age 37

Well if you are on hypertension meds what should I be on?  Just had my vitality check,

Resting HR 49 but BP is an issue 171/123 WTF. I have been told to stay off the bike until it is below 130/100.

Just as a matter on interest I see that Garmin measures it while you're sleeping.. No wonder the numbers are so low. If you're doing a home measurement then you should be using a stopwatch and counting your pulse over a 30sec or 60sec interval first thing in the morning. I would like to see how some numbers compare to that of which their Garmin tells them

Edit. I clearly need to retest mine because my heart rate now at 9 in the morning is only 55 and I said my resting was 59 earlier

Edited by Stretch

Well if you are on hypertension meds what should I be on?  Just had my vitality check,

Resting HR 49 but BP is an issue 171/123 WTF. I have been told to stay off the bike until it is below 130/100.

Yip, pretty much same boat, I decided to use this https://www.dischem.co.za/tibb-pressure-eeze-forte-60-s and a decent diet, came down within a week or two. Hasn't climbed again either.

My BP was about 170/130 before I started taking these. Now it is normal

Edited by Jako De Wet

My resting HR is around 44-46 BPM, measured on several occasions sitting on the couch. Measured using Garmin HR strap, confirmed by counting it over 60 seconds.

My max is about 178

Blood pressure was 120/80 when last measured. 

Note: I'm pretty fit, but by no means super fit and I'm regularly outperformed by mates the same age with higher resting heart rates. Some people just have lower heart rates, and this isn't only a function of fitness. 

Me

I have normal bike computers with speed cadence distance etc

Could not be bothered with all the other stuff.Im a bit of a minimalist

Cadence sensor is minimalist?!

I have always had a relatively low RHR (compared to other people in general) even when unfit. Depending on what I did the night before it is between 42 and 46, measured by my garmin and apple watch before that and manually using a stop watch.  

During sleep it has been as low as 31 over the last 2 years

When unfit my Maximum heart rate doesn't really go any higher, but as is commonly known it takes longer to recover or come down to a "normal" level. My max is 191 currently

I am assuming genetics has an influence on it, my dad also has a very low RHR. And the other reason, even when I am about 20kg overweight like I am at the moment my RHR is still in die mid 40's

For reference I am 40 years old.