WTB KOM Tough I29 or Stans MK3 or ?

Mtree

I weigh 100kg .Stans Arch MK3 set got me thru e[ic and the training preparation ,cracks and all , Mine have a few cracks but they work perfectly. I also have a set of raceface AR 27 mm . and a set of WTB SX25 .WTB seem to be a good strong rim .Raceface feels soft .I have used Stans for 10 years without issues .If you have warrenty backup ,they are still good imo .

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I weigh 100kg .Stans Arch MK3 set got me thru e[ic and the training preparation ,cracks and all , Mine have a few cracks but they work perfectly. I also have a set of raceface AR 27 mm . and a set of WTB SX25 .WTB seem to be a good strong rim .Raceface feels soft .I have used Stans for 10 years without issues .If you have warrenty backup ,they are still good imo .

Agreed that Stans are good, current crests have done 6+ years and are okay.

I just don't feel like having the rim crack and then having to rebuild and rebuild due to warranty replacements.

Agreed that Stans are good, current crests have done 6+ years and are okay.

I just don't feel like having the rim crack and then having to rebuild and rebuild due to warranty replacements.

I've got WTB KOM (not tough) on front and WTB Frequency on the back. They have been absolutely faultless for 4 years.

Ordered the WTB Kom Tough for front and back now, cant wait!! They only arriving in Jan 2020 though....hurry up!

Considered the Spank 345 or 350 but based on my research and experience I wanted to stick to WTB.

I've got WTB KOM (not tough) on front and WTB Frequency on the back. They have been absolutely faultless for 4 years.

Ordered the WTB Kom Tough for front and back now, cant wait!! They only arriving in Jan 2020 though....hurry up!

Considered the Spank 345 or 350 but based on my research and experience I wanted to stick to WTB.

That's really good, and it's not the tough!

That's really good, and it's not the tough!

Yup, they've taken some big hits but I don't usually ride crazy hard. I'm 65kg though.

Want the i29, definitely time to go wider. Looking forward to using them at Joberg2c!

:lol:

My mate has managed to dent his so much that he got an offer to test the carbon rims. Another mate has also dented them pretty darn extensively, so they're good, but not indestructable. I'd still definitely have the AMPs over the Flow mk 3's or any of the Stans mk3 options though, to be honest. They're cheap and Dayle's backup is excellent.

OP - wtb i29 tough. Strong AF and won't break the bank.

Yeah butt he is a big boy that likes to bash through stuff. . Edited by Matchstix

Yeah butt he is a big boy that likes to bash through stuff. .

Is it the don't go around, rather go through the obstacles approach? :whistling:

His name is Tim. We call him TIMMEH for a reason.

Tim Tim TIMMEH!!!

Rumour has it he is also allergic to pressures above 16,4psi. In his back wheel.

.he is. Despite our insistence. He also used to run exo casings, which for his 100kg TIMMEH smash isn't so lekker

Surprised he didn't run tubeless tyres on non-tubeless rims, or vice-versa... :whistling:

And what about running some 2.1" at lower than 16.4 psi?

Edited by M@tree

Surprised he didn't run tubeless tyres on non-tubeless rims, or vice-versa... :whistling:

And what about running some 2.1" at lower than 16.4 psi?

might actually be worth a try has destroyed and punctured with everything else

• 2 weeks later...

WTB's are great, so are:

Spank Oozy Trail 295 (24.5mm inner) and 345 (29.5mm inner)

DT Swiss XM421 (25mm inner)

DT Swiss EX511 (30mm inner)

Deed TREN30 (30mm inner)

Deed XMT25 (25mm inner)

Raceface ARC and ARC Offset in various widths

Update:
Ended up going with WTB kom tough i29 for the front and WTB kom tough i25 for the rear.

CRC had good specials on these...

good plan, I went through another mk3 crest in Dec. You even think of casing a landing or jumping to flat and those rims crack....