CO2 Cartridge Explode

JohanDiv

I think these canisters are used in other domestic and industrial applications so they should be made to an international standard. Ill sift through the IHS library and find it.

the small 12/16 and 25 g ones ? 

obviously the bigger ones would be crazy regulated , but the smaller ones im doubtful 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the units of your pressure scale. Bar not psi...

that assuming ideal conditions , the space in your tyre obviously has a big influence

Sorta related, what happens when a tubeless setup goes wrong: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/509984/

I did this at a petrol station...................With the bike in the back of my old BMW X1. 

Sold the car a few months later but to this day I reckon you could find some Stan's slime somewhere in that car if you looked hard enough. What you don't realise as well is that poor bugger has to get tyre slime out is eyes and nose and his ears will likely ring all day and that rim is likely ruined and merely an ornament now.

Edited by dave303e

A couple of months ago I was pumping up my my tubeless tire in my garage. I'm pretty certain I wasn't pumping to any higher a pressure than normal, so think maybe it wasn't seated correctly, but... The bang when it unseated itself completely was pretty terrifying, and the amount of sealant spread all over the garage...  :ph34r:

the small 12/16 and 25 g ones ?

obviously the bigger ones would be crazy regulated , but the smaller ones im doubtful

Self inflating life jackets use similar, if not same, ones.

Look at the units of your pressure scale. Bar not psi...

5.1 bar = 75psi roughly

What is your issue? Is the thought of liquid co2 so terrifying?

Self inflating life jackets use similar, if not same, ones.

Okay then I'm fairly certain they'd be regulated, so maybe bad luck since that little cap at the top must be thinner than the wall of the thing, no?

Okay then I'm fairly certain they'd be regulated, so maybe bad luck since that little cap at the top must be thinner than the wall of the thing, no?

my uneducated guess would that the aircraft grade ones are manufactured under tighter controls

5.1 bar = 75psi roughly

What is your issue? Is the thought of liquid co2 so terrifying?

His point is that you seem to be reading the graphs incorrectly. At 32c the pressure has to be above 74 bar (1023psi) for CO2 to be liquid. At 5.1 bar the temperature has to be less than -56c for the CO2 to be liquid. So there will never be liquid CO2 in your tyres ever. Although there is very likely to be some liquid in the CO2 bombs.

Pretty much!

Although some basic ideal gas law calcs suggests bombs contain only compressed gas.

His point is that you seem to be reading the graphs incorrectly. At 32c the pressure has to be above 74 bar (1023psi) for CO2 to be liquid. At 5.1 bar the temperature has to be less than -56c for the CO2 to be liquid. So there will never be liquid CO2 in your tyres ever. Although there is very likely to be some liquid in the CO2 bombs.

A couple of months ago I was pumping up my my tubeless tire in my garage. I'm pretty certain I wasn't pumping to any higher a pressure than normal, so think maybe it wasn't seated correctly, but... The bang when it unseated itself completely was pretty terrifying, and the amount of sealant spread all over the garage...  :ph34r:

Please make sure you use blue sealant then the kids can at least play with a smurf afterwards  :clap: