CO2 Cartridge Explode

JohanDiv

I had no idea this is even possible!  :eek:

This guy left his 25g CO2 cartridge in his cubbyhole and it apparently got a little hot in there.

Just did a quick Google search and discovered these cartridges hold around 60bar pressure! Not sure how save I feel with two of them under my saddle anymore. They are literally little bommetjies!

post-119556-0-58503000-1578392179_thumb.jpeg

post-119556-0-23535300-1578392189_thumb.jpeg

post-119556-0-46312600-1578392196_thumb.jpeg

post-119556-0-47738000-1578392203_thumb.jpeg

post-119556-0-37368400-1578392211_thumb.jpeg

post-119556-0-28103400-1578392218_thumb.jpeg

post-119556-0-70481800-1578392224_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez like. Must have gotten seriously hot. Any more info? Where was the car parked and for how long?

Wonder what the insurance will say.

Eeek. :eek:

That reminds me, I have some real old ones I used to lug around all over Africa on my motorcycle tours that I should get rid of.

have you ever measured the heat build up in a car? Its astronomical.

Leaving one of those lying round inside a car is crazy, its probably doesnt get even close to those kinds of temps under your saddle.

But what surprises me is that it did not let go at what I thought would be the weak point, the cap that you pierce.

Leave a full aerosol can in your car and you're looking for the same k@k. 

After seeing this I'll also never argue with Airport staff again about insisting on taking my co2 canisters on a plan, doesnt matter which temperatures are expected or where it will be stowed away.

Edited by milky4130

Always had this fear and it never bothered me after not seeing one of these explode in years, exploding from heat isn't surprising at all and I highly doubt it'll get hot enough in your pocket or mounted on your bike

The air cooling should keep it fairly cool I would think

Hectic  :eek:

A bit strange that it ruptured there - the seal where you connect the inflatior should be the weakest point? Maybe a manufacturing defect? Still, good idea not to leave them in hot places.

well, this is what happens when a scuba tank explodes in your car boot...

:eek:

Those things can be very dangerous.

They're well named but the effect of even significant temperature increases of the contents of a CO2 bomb isn't that significant e.g an increase from 20 to 100 degs C will 'only' increase contents' pressure by 28%.

Maybe that crosses a design pressure? More likely a defect in the bomb wall??

Still sobering...

well, this is what happens when a scuba tank explodes in your car boot...

Edit - correction - that was nitrox... but pressures are similar - 300bar in a scuba tank...

Nitrous.

I am not sure what happened in that specific scenario but I have seen a few times when the shut-off valve doesn't close and either the nitrous leaks into the engine when you don't want it to or the reverse happens and the nitrous catches fire and the fire burns back upstream. That is also a big explosion in both scenarios but with fire.