New vs secondhand, the rookie question?

JuaneC

Hi guys.

New to the forum and cycling.

I have been cycling purely for the fitness part of it for about a year now. Went and bought a Titan Trail in 2018. I found I rather enjoy it and now want to get a bit more serious about it.

So......looking to upgrade the good old Titan. Question is, do I go for the best new hardtail my budget allows (about R20k) or go secondhand. The problem is that I would not really know what to look for in a secondhand bike and obviously do not want to spend money on repairs.

Looking at the 2019 Titan Drone Pro hardtail as reference. Looks like the components are about the best bang for your buck.

Normally a medium but with the drone frames a small.

I have had a lot fo really good experiences buying secondhand, and you'll get a lot more for your money this way. However I would only recommend this route if you are somewhat mechanically minded - second hand bikes will almost always require a bit of tinkering. I have one second hand MTB, a second hand road bike, track bike, and a demo-model gravel bike. You should save up to 50% of the cost of the new item, and you'll end up with a much higher spec bike for your money (good components are worth the money, even if second hand). :-D

If you are nervous about secondhand from a private individual you can also consider a number of second-hand 'dealer businesses' on the hub, or perhaps someone like bikemarket who sell second hand bikes. This will (probably) be priced up a little above a pure voetstoots sale, but you'll have someone you can go back to if you have any complaints about your purchase.

Thank you for the reply guys. I see the Norco was just sold. Looks like one needs to be quick on the draw.

That's a no brainer... used!

I have bought two used bikes from Bike Market. Super service. Bikes come serviced and with some peace of mind against scammers and crooks.

For Jnr. I got a Trek HT full carbon with tons of extras, upgraded DT Swiss rimes and tubeless, full XT and so forth... for R23k or thereabouts.

Check their website.

No affiliation - just a happy customer.

• 3 months later...

So here’s a reply after a very long time........and sitting at home of course looking at my relatively new purchase.....

I decided on a Merida Big 9 XT edition hard tail. Man oh man am I happy with this bike. Only did a couple of rides around my area and one at Thaba Trails. Only did the tubeless conversion with Maxxis EXO tyres and thats all for now. Only thing I still want to upgrade is the post to a dropper post.

I vote for "Buy second hand".

Last year, I bought a R19.5k bike that is currently selling for R38k.

There were a few mods done by the previous owner, but everything is running well.

So here’s a reply after a very long time........and sitting at home of course looking at my relatively new purchase.....

I decided on a Merida Big 9 XT edition hard tail. Man oh man am I happy with this bike. Only did a couple of rides around my area and one at Thaba Trails. Only did the tubeless conversion with Maxxis EXO tyres and thats all for now. Only thing I still want to upgrade is the post to a dropper post.

Congrats, 9/10 times you will win with 2nd hand. Enjoy!

"The problem is that I would not really know what to look for in a secondhand bike and obviously do not want to spend money on repairs."

There, you have answered your own question. Go and buy a new one.

"The problem is that I would not really know what to look for in a secondhand bike and obviously do not want to spend money on repairs."

There, you have answered your own question. Go and buy a new one.

If you buy second hand get the seller to agree to let you take it to your mechanic for a check over. It will cost you a bit because ideally he should take off the shock for a bench test, take off the fork lowers to see the stanchions and the crank to check the BB and suspension bearings.  On a dual suspension your "average" service will cost around R3000 plus. (I know you guys who run a chain for 15000 km and don't believe in servicing the fork will call me a rip off artist but that is the truth of it).  It is best to have a good idea of what you are in for before you lay out big cash on a "bargin".  If the bike has been neglected or not serviced regularly your bill will run much higher.

Well thank you for all the advice. So I did buy new. The bike ticked all the boxes.

Like I said, I would just like to add a dropper post, and ride it for a few years.

I actually followed some advice here and went to Bike Market. There is one second hand bike that caught my eye. Not telling which one, mine mine mine!