UCI DH World Cup 2020 - 2021 Season

Hairy

What about Sharjah Johnson... Greg's little prodigy? I'm a bit of of touch now but I saw he was racing in worlds. He can't be more than 20 now? Not saying he's gonna be GM level... But could be get a sponsor and compete at a competitive level?

He was at Lousa according to the full qualifying list. Qualified in like 70th (iirc) so didn't make the start hut for the main race.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone that could of gone and possibly be among them. However the drive and circumstances was just not there. I tried helping him out to enter national events etc, but he just couldnt.

There is some talent around, but socio economic circumstances dont allow for the pleasure of competitive to professional sport in most families.

I know someone that could of gone and possibly be among them. However the drive and circumstances was just not there. I tried helping him out to enter national events etc, but he just couldnt.

There is some talent around, but socio economic circumstances dont allow for the pleasure of competitive to professional sport in most families.

There is just not the market in SA. To be competitive you need to be taking big jumps and step terrain at age 10 already... Then be competing at nationals and then hopping across to other countries nationals. Europe is just they much easier to do that than SA

There is just not the market in SA. To be competitive you need to be taking big jumps and step terrain at age 10 already... Then be competing at nationals and then hopping across to other countries nationals. Europe is just they much easier to do that than SA

Maybe someone like Ike Klaassen?

I know someone who did a (junior I think) DH race with Greg also at the event, years ago. The top guys are crazy fast and it takes a lot of finances to travel to races, etc.

That lightie is the real deal. Yes his folks are loaded but it takes HUGE stones to even consider those jumps and his bones break the same as anyone else's.

That's for sure. He definitely appears to have the skills and the support. No doubt it now comes down to spending as much time as possible racing in Europe. Who is helping him out in terms of mentorship etc?

That's for sure. He definitely appears to have the skills and the support. No doubt it now comes down to spending as much time as possible racing in Europe. Who is helping him out in terms of mentorship etc?

I think he spent most of last summer with Theo and Duran in the PDS. Jasper also bases himself there for most of the summer. As did Matt Lombardi.

I think he spent most of last summer with Theo and Duran in the PDS. Jasper also bases himself there for most of the summer. As did Matt Lombardi.

And he is competing against others that had the fortune of growing up along side mountains with chair lifts, and a rich DH heritage ... with the support that comes from all this ... so yes he is doing well.

And he is competing against others that had the fortune of growing up along side mountains with chair lifts, and a rich DH heritage ... with the support that comes from all this ... so yes he is doing well.

That statement isn't AAACTUALLY 100% true regarding chairlifts.

If you look at the 2 powerhouse countries in DH being France and the UK. The current crop of fast Frenchies all hail from the South of France. No chair lifts. Nico V and Fabien Barel also all come from the South of France.

The UK have only 2 lift accessed tracks and they are both in Scotland.

Canada has only produced 1 WC champion despite it's vast MTB infrastructure.

If you look at surfing. The WSL is dominated by Brazilians and the waves are *** in Brazil. And Italo Ferreira grew up in a Flavela. Kelly Slater grew up in a broken home with an alcoholic father and comes from a town where the average waves are wind blown slop.

It's hard work and desire that makes a great champion. Not access to the best of Blah blah and having **** handed to you on a plate.

Eddy's statement about socio economic circumstances actually gets up my nostrils coz that's just an excuse.

None of this is aimed at you or eddy of course. I'm just trying to make a point about circumstance vs outcome.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Duane, I agree with you about the hardwork and desire. You dont get anything without working hard. But there are also 2 sides to the coin. Some people cant afford the time to train or do whats needed when they have to support a household. Not everyone is privileged to have the time even though they have the desire and the talent. 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

That statement isn't AAACTUALLY 100% true regarding chairlifts.

If you look at the 2 powerhouse countries in DH being France and the UK. The current crop of fast Frenchies all hail from the South of France. No chair lifts. Nico V and Fabien Barel also all come from the South of France.

The UK have only 2 lift accessed tracks and they are both in Scotland.

Canada has only produced 1 WC champion despite it's vast MTB infrastructure.

If you look at surfing. The WSL is dominated by Brazilians and the waves are *** in Brazil. And Italo Ferreira grew up in a Flavela. Kelly Slater grew up in a broken home with an alcoholic father and comes from a town where the average waves are wind blown slop.

It's hard work and desire that makes a great champion. Not access to the best of Blah blah and having **** handed to you on a plate.

Eddy's statement about socio economic circumstances actually gets up my nostrils coz that's just an excuse.

None of this is aimed at you or eddy of course. I'm just trying to make a point about circumstance vs outcome.

Sorry Duane, I agree with you about the hardwork. But there are also 2 sides to the coin. Some people cant afford the time to train or do whats needed when they have to support a household.

I see and agree with both your points.

Not knowing much, and just being a DH RedbullTV junkie, I was under the impression that lift access was a real thing in Europe.