Reviving my 26"

Letum911

I am in a similar boat.    26"  Cube AMS pro that I looked after very well.   The fox shocks / suspension are really in such awesome condition and the frame as well -  and only need some new rear shock pivots which is freely available.    New tyres available such as Ardent and Crossmark - But the challenge and potential costly  part is the drivetrain.

I would really like to go with a 1 x 11  but to do it the best / right route might be to install a complete new 1 X crankset to compliment the rear 11 speed.

I have contacted Bike - Addict and discussed my needs on a budget with them since they move loads of bikes and might be able to help me out with some replaced OEM parts -  waiting to hear what they propose and if it will be worth the money.  

Think it is going to cost me around R7 K to do it all including pivots, self shock services, tyres and complete new drivetrain.    I have a feeling that a new headset will also be required and maybe a wider bar which is going to push it R8K  to revive my 26" and turn it into a very capable and current little machine. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a similar boat.    26"  Cube AMS pro that I looked after very well.   The fox shocks / suspension are really in such awesome condition and the frame as well -  and only need some new rear shock pivots which is freely available.    New tyres available such as Ardent and Crossmark - But the challenge and potential costly  part is the drivetrain.

I would really like to go with a 1 x 11  but to do it the best / right route might be to install a complete new 1 X crankset to compliment the rear 11 speed.

why oh why would you HAVE to do that?

There is nothing "wrong" with 2x10 or whatever you have on it currently.

I understand you might have got used to a 1x system, but it's quite a costly overhaul for no actual performance gain.

Check out the Wish website if you're looking for a cheap 1 x crankset. Actually, just about everything is available on there for the build including the rear cluster. Oldshovel on youtube recently did one of this bikes with some chinese knockoffs and it turned out pretty neat.

I understand you might have got used to a 1x system, but it's quite a costly overhaul for no actual performance gain.

Not HAVE to but would really LIKE to  :)

(currently a 2010  3 X 9 system)

Edited by Ashchest

Not HAVE to but would really LIKE to  :)

(currently a 2010  3 X 9 system)

and does the entire 3x system need replacing?ie. chainrings + chain + cassette?

i'd look at the price gap before going 1x, as you're throwing out lots of functional stuff "just because"

and does the entire 3x system need replacing?

I would really LIKE to replace it with something more current   ;)

you may be right .... 

but a 1x just LOOKS so much better !!!  :w00t:

how else can I even begin to consider upgrading the commuter ....  :whistling:

1. hardtails for the win - the suspension issues on an old dual as a 3-day race machine will be the end of you

2. you CAN get an 11s MTB cluster onto a 9s freehub. makes this an easy change. but you'll be able to pick up 10s kit more cheaply. seeing as you probably can't use the really big clusters there's not much benefit to going up to 11.

3. borrow a 27.5 wheelset and see if it fits. this can really renew the bike, and there's a bunch of guys who can't get rid of them fast enough (so once again inexpensive). 

4. the issue with 1x on a 26" bike is that you need a larger front chainring. something like a 36 at least. 1x10 is a good option, but getting a sprocket on the back that's much bigger than a 36 starts to run your RD really low on the small diameter wheel. This is asking for trouble. I have a 36x11/36 10s setup that works reasonably well.

I have taken my entire 26" bike apart and it is lying in pieces at the moment. I will clean and service everything from pulleys to headset, suspension to free-hub, BB to Hydraulic brakes, rims and rim tape to new valves and new tyres & new cables.  It got a new wider handlebar and new shock bushes.  The front derraileur will have to go and I am waiting for my NW chainring from Rapide to turn the crank into a 1 X    

I decided to use it as a bike park & trail play machine only and will use my Gravel bike for the other longer events and workouts.

CUBE.jpg

Edited by Ashchest