[Event] 2020 WC XCO SERIES - Event #1

Morne Veer

What a day it was! Weather was hot, racing was hot. We saw a mushroom cloud or two and guys looking as cool as a cucumber. Leka vibe and gees amongst the guys with quite a few war stories doing the rounds!

I've only done one XCO race two or three years back and completely forgot what it is like... I didn't plan on doing any of the others in this series but I am pretty hooked now and want more!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tygerberg MTB for an awesome event!

I had a lekker race until lap 2 when my front tyre ran out of sealant and then pinch flatted as a result of ever decreasing tyre pressure and sharp rocks everywhere.

Bring on Rheebokskloof...

PS: can you arrange for rain on the 14th March please.

Ag nee man - sorry about the bad luck.

Thanks for the kudos for the awesome event, and although we do play our part in a number of ways, it is the kind hearted folk (a handful of volunteers just like ourselves) who are responsible for the provincial scene in WP - in this case, the WP MTB Commission / Western Province Mountainbike Commission, go give them a follow on Insta / Facebook, and even a shout out, I promise you it will mean a lot to them, as it is rather a "stank vir dank" (unappreciated) labor intensive operation over a few days, not just race day.  We are very proud to be associated with them and Enduro Western Cape, who without these events will never be able to take place.   :thumbup:

See you in Rhebokskloof, right now it seems like the 14th will be a lovely overcast day, with a max predicted temp of 21 degrees   :whistling: .

Only done one WPXCO race before, and that was in the SS category ... was flipping fun out on the bike.

If I can get my new SS built up soon I may just be able to catch on the tail end of the season for a race or two.

Only done one WPXCO race before, and that was in the SS category ... was flipping fun out on the bike.

If I can get my new SS built up soon I may just be able to catch on the tail end of the season for a race or two.

Lekker man !

We had pretty much the best entry numbers in the Masters category which confirms that for a number of older guys, there is a desire to compete (be that against yourself, or your other bald headed participant next to you).  

Also pleasing to see Chris Nixon, currently heavily involved in the WP Downhill scene, come out and support the event - lost none of his xco prowess of his younger years.  :thumbup:

Ag nee man - sorry about the bad luck.

Thanks for the kudos for the awesome event, and although we do play our part in a number of ways, it is the kind hearted folk (a handful of volunteers just like ourselves) who are responsible for the provincial scene in WP - in this case, the WP MTB Commission / Western Province Mountainbike Commission, go give them a follow on Insta / Facebook, and even a shout out, I promise you it will mean a lot to them, as it is rather a "stank vir dank" (unappreciated) labor intensive operation over a few days, not just race day.  We are very proud to be associated with them and Enduro Western Cape, who without these events will never be able to take place.   :thumbup:

See you in Rhebokskloof, right now it seems like the 14th will be a lovely overcast day, with a max predicted temp of 21 degrees   :whistling: .

Ya the WP MTB Commission deserves a lot of credit for a fantastic series. the last two years have been particularly good. Shaun and Suzie on the mike also bring another level of gees.

At the moment this is the best racing series in the Western Cape. Marathon is dying a horrible death. No new routes and who really wants to take up a whole Sunday? XCO is like 2 hrs of your Saturday and then its beer time and home in time for your favorite sports channel.

Anyone who thinks lap racing is boring must come try it. If there was one every Saturday or Sunday there would be 3000 SUB 3's at the Argust 

Ya the WP MTB Commission deserves a lot of credit for a fantastic series. the last two years have been particularly good. Shaun and Suzie on the mike also bring another level of gees.

At the moment this is the best racing series in the Western Cape. Marathon is dying a horrible death. No new routes and who really wants to take up a whole Sunday? XCO is like 2 hrs of your Saturday and then its beer time and home in time for your favorite sports channel.

Anyone who thinks lap racing is boring must come try it. If there was one every Saturday or Sunday there would be 3000 SUB 3's at the Argust 

Unfortunately though it's a racing discipline.

You can't really turn up with 6 of your mates and ride together, stop and eat jelly sweets and 16kg of biltong and some home made banana bread half way into the race. I mean, there are no water tables!!! 

This alone really negates it ever being a mass participation event.

There is no 'social' category... yet.

UK and Europe CX and XCO had a social category when I lived there that went off between the sub vets/vets/masters and the elite race. 2 laps of mayhem. It was great fun to watch and an awesome intro into the disciplines.

The current local setup doesn't really allow for someone who isn't super fit and semi skilled to feel 'comfortable' lining up with Don, Nico zen and the rest of you lot.

So one does need to look at the 'numbers' vs the racing aspect of XCO before really inviting marathon mid packers to splutter up lungs trying to finish 3 laps before being lapped.

Personally, I think it's awesome and being so bad on Saturday has made me 100% amped to find my legs and get the 5 laps in at Rheeboks.... or the next one.... or the one after that..... 

Back in the day there was a fun class at the XCO. It was 2 laps at 8am. Gave the moms and dads a chance to suffer before handing out bottles to their offspring. Current race schedule makes that a tough option to implement unless they start the fun group with the topple class but still 2 laps only. Fun for the whole family

Back in the day there was a fun class at the XCO. It was 2 laps at 8am. Gave the moms and dads a chance to suffer before handing out bottles to their offspring. Current race schedule makes that a tough option to implement unless they start the fun group with the topple class but still 2 laps only. Fun for the whole family

I also recall the fun class.

What I really like about the XCO format was that the whole family could race on the day and still be able to support each other. While dad is racing, mom is baby sitting and then the same when mom is racing again.

It really does make alot of sense and I was hoping that after the UCI WC XCO at stellies it would have stimulated the discipline .... there certainly was a huge turn out ... I recon if stellies had the event again the following year it would have certainly helped to boost XCO in the WC and hopefully SA too.

We have the talent in this country, we just need a highly competitive racing league.