Lights for the dark mornings

lizaanleroux

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eskom might need a new Stage and coal plant for this! But yes, safety always comes first.

Hi,
There are a few threads regarding lights so have a search on the forum. But in my opinion.....

You need a total of 4 lights. Not negotiable.

1. Front bike mounted light 1000 Lumens or more...
2. Front helmet light 300 Lumens. Follows your eyes.
3. Rear seatpost flushing light. Bontrager make awesome ones.
4. Rear jersey mounted flashing light.

The extra lights do act as a redundancy and trust me there will be a time a light or battery lets you down. But when all are working it’s the best way to see and be seen!

I spent years riding in the dark. Still do. And this is my “go to” setup.

I have this one:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/marvel-indicator-600-lumen-light

I went for a ride on Friday morning along the west coast cycle path to Melkbos. It was dark, misty and the load was shed...

My front light was on bright, aimed somewhat downwards since the cars were flashing at me, and I also have a red flashing epilepsy inducing disco light on my seatpost. In short, I thought I was unmissable.

That was until I passed a knob exiting Big Bay Beach Club who stopped at the stop sign, since there were 2 cars approaching approximately 200 - 300 meters away from his right. Again, stupid me thought A), the knob was going to wait for the cars to pass, and B), the knob saw me. I failed on both points. As I drove past in front of Knob's car, Knob decided to pull into the road, and moered straight into me. I got a chain ring tattoo on my leg as a memento. 

I swore at him profusely for what seems like an eternity before knob drove off. I did not get plates as I was too mad at the time. Thoughts of ripping his throat out and taking a dump in the gaping wound was playing in my mind. I have never been so mad angry before. I have not ridden again since.

Get a BRIGHT LIGHT, get more than recommended, and then, still you are taking a chance out there. Morons abound.

I have this one:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/marvel-indicator-600-lumen-light

I went for a ride on Friday morning along the west coast cycle path to Melkbos. It was dark, misty and the load was shed...

My front light was on bright, aimed somewhat downwards since the cars were flashing at me, and I also have a red flashing epilepsy inducing disco light on my seatpost. In short, I thought I was unmissable.

That was until I passed a knob exiting Big Bay Beach Club who stopped at the stop sign, since there were 2 cars approaching approximately 200 - 300 meters away from his right. Again, stupid me thought A), the knob was going to wait for the cars to pass, and B), the knob saw me. I failed on both points. As I drove past in front of Knob's car, Knob decided to pull into the road, and moered straight into me. I got a chain ring tattoo on my leg as a memento. 

I swore at him profusely for what seems like an eternity before knob drove off. I did not get plates as I was too mad at the time. Thoughts of ripping his throat out and taking a dump in the gaping wound was playing in my mind. I have never been so mad angry before. I have not ridden again since.

Get a BRIGHT LIGHT, get more than recommended, and then, still you are taking a chance out there. Morons abound.

The FIRST ride after fitting the second forward facing light on my commuter a lady skipped a stop street right in front of me !!!  I was literally broad sliding the Merida at 45 degrees and got CLOSE to side swipping her car !!!

few meters up the road she had to stop for a red light .... I pulled in next to her driver side window ....  I was FURIOUS .... then saw she had two kids on the back seat ..... Uhm .... I managed to utter: "PLEASE set a better example for your kids when driving"

Driving lit up like a chrismas tree do help, but some drivers are truly blind out there !!

The FIRST ride after fitting the second forward facing light on my commuter a lady skipped a stop street right in front of me !!! I was literally broad sliding the Merida at 45 degrees and got CLOSE to side swipping her car !!!

few meters up the road she had to stop for a red light .... I pulled in next to her driver side window .... I was FURIOUS .... then saw she had two kids on the back seat ..... Uhm .... I managed to utter: "PLEASE set a better example for your kids when driving"

Driving lit up like a chrismas tree do help, but some drivers are truly blind out there !!

Rarely have I been so stoked to be at work as I was last Friday. At one point I bounced off his bonnet but still managed to end up rubber side down. I thank God I did not end up another statistic.

Ryder Light concept 1000 lumen. Bang for buck, you won’t beat it. Any of the Ryder lights carry a lifetime warranty so well worth it.

And RYDER are really great at honouring their warranties.

I use the 900 lumen light front light and their tail light....comes in a pack and is usb recharchable

I have a Ryder 900 Lumen front light that I've been using on early morning 5-7am rides and commutes for the last 18 months. I find it perfect for the job - its able to provide descent light for around 2 hours on full bright mode, alternately on medium brightness or flash mode I can comfortably do a 4 hour ride.

Pros: Great support, easy to get replacement batteries. I like not having to fuss with cables and battery packs, easy to just take-off recharge and snap back into place.

Cons: It can run down if you use the full bright mode. It only has one flash mode which works ok during daylight, but seems to piss of drivers and runners when its dark. Its a rather intense flash pattern - I normally leave the constant beam on when dark or point it slightly downwards.

I have an extreme light for the MTB, great product - but I find it too bright for commutes and the recharging process is a bit clumsy.

Whatever you do, don't put lights on your helmet. 

Don't be like those other poepstreepe that look at you as they pass by and blind you in the process. 

Just get a 600 lumen front light. You really don't need more than that unless you are smashing through some singletrack without moonlight! 

Whatever you do, don't put lights on your helmet. 

Don't be like those other poepstreepe that look at you as they pass by and blind you in the process. 

Just get a 600 lumen front light. You really don't need more than that unless you are smashing through some singletrack without moonlight! 

Agreed

while just saying a 600 might be fine, the cheaper lights that are advertised with these crazy high outputs are never really that high.

and you rather have more than you need, and use it on a medium/low setting which will give you better battery life.

The Bontrager lights are awesome - front at rear. 

I NEVER ride without mine and they've given me 2.5 years of faultless service.

The Bontrager lights are awesome - front at rear. 

I NEVER ride without mine and they've given me 2.5 years of faultless service.

have to agree on the Bontrager lights, I have the Flare R and it's awesome. 

I've got the Baviaans light from Extreme Lights - can't think you'd ever need anything brighter than this (3600 lumen) - cars see you coming because its so bright you're blinding them. And on lower settings (which are perfect for most conditions - I only use max setting for downhill at speed) the battery lasts over 10 hours. There's a reason it's named the Baviaans.

The light and battery setup is also very practical to use - it also has a remote which is more handy than I thought it would be (and helps the cars around you by making it easy to switch to a lower setting quickly). 

Another great use for the light is during load shedding - put it on max setting and shine it up against the ceiling - it lights up an entire room easily. No need for gas or candles. 

I've got the Baviaans light from Extreme Lights - can't think you'd ever need anything brighter than this (3600 lumen) - cars see you coming because its so bright you're blinding them. And on lower settings (which are perfect for most conditions - I only use max setting for downhill at speed) the battery lasts over 10 hours. There's a reason it's named the Baviaans.

The light and battery setup is also very practical to use - it also has a remote which is more handy than I thought it would be (and helps the cars around you by making it easy to switch to a lower setting quickly). 

Another great use for the light is during load shedding - put it on max setting and shine it up against the ceiling - it lights up an entire room easily. No need for gas or candles. 

if only that combo didnt cost R4k... thats a bit Extreme for a light

This is so true, we had a braai the other day when Eskom went off line and even my 900 Lumens extreme light worked so nice, I almost didn't need a fire to braai the meat. [emoji1787]