Will you still be traveling/riding

T_Boss

Food for thought, and has probably changed my mind about travelling.

Thinking about this a little more this morning I realised the potential impact is far greater than I originally suggested.

What I of course forgot is all the communities that could be negatively affected as one drives through. Stop for petrol, coffee, snacks etc and every stop is you potentially spreading the contagion to a previously "free" community.

It really does highlight the need to rather just stay at home!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Abrahamskraal 38 km outside of Prince Albert

We were meant to come last week - but the boss got put "on call"

Couldn't do any riding last weekend so I am counting the hours till the weekend. And since I almost always end up smooching the ground I will just have to be cautious to not end up in a situation where I need to receive medical attention. Touchwood hasn't happened before but I will feel selfish it this does happen now. Skip the social and stick to home.

here in the uk the world is going into lock down. cant buy toilet paper but more importantly i fear after a period of everyone buying all the meat in world, it does look like vegetables are going to have to be taken seriously. 

On a serious note, i am a big advocate of Zwift, which is the only way i got to do the CTCT in what i think was a reasonable time. we are being told not to meet in groups and to avoid public spaces, so i am back in the garage. 

Now i have upgraded my trainer to a tacx which is great because it controls the ride in terms of climbs flats and downhills. I did however start on a dumb trainer with a cadence meter, spedometer and my good old garmin watch for heart rate monitor. 

AT first its a little clunky but then it becomes a little addicitive (remember i am in the UK and it rains a lot) its not the best, but it means i can go for a hour spin work hard or simply just sit on a group and wheel suck

PS the advantage of a dumb trainer and zwift, and this is the fun bit, you can cheat and win races by miles and the read the abuse you get 

stay safe guys and look after each other 

From PinkBike: "Mountain biking irresponsibly during the COVID-19 pandemic puts you and others at risk. Riding injuries put unnecessary stress on medical systems that need all available resources to fight the virus, and group rides increase your chances of exposure. Please follow all local health authority directives, and DO NOT take risks."

From PinkBike: "Mountain biking irresponsibly during the COVID-19 pandemic puts you and others at risk. Riding injuries put unnecessary stress on medical systems that need all available resources to fight the virus, and group rides increase your chances of exposure. Please follow all local health authority directives, and DO NOT take risks."

Yes, maybe if you are planning on doing some double black super technical riding or dirt jumping or something you may need to think twice, but taking a leisurely ride out on country roads or flowy single track..... surely the health benefit of fresh air, sunshine and fitness far outweighs the potential risk.

Remember locking up indoors and not getting excercise causing stress and leads o depression, both of which massively compromise your immune system

Yes, maybe if you are planning on doing some double black super technical riding or dirt jumping or something you may need to think twice, but taking a leisurely ride out on country roads or flowy single track..... surely the health benefit of fresh air, sunshine and fitness far outweighs the potential risk.

Remember locking up indoors and not getting excercise causing stress and leads o depression, both of which massively compromise your immune system

We saw what happened when "thousands" of riders went for solo rides .....

YES, moderate exercise IS a big positive in these times.  But we need to do it in such a manner that we dont end up with unofficial "mass gatherings" ....

tricky thing to balance ,,,,

I had to help get a guy with a broken femur off the flowy singletrack of Vasbyt in Tokai last Tuesday.

Just because it looks smooth and flowy doesn't mean you can't get it horribly wrong.

But surely a solo MTB or Road ride should be okay in the event of lockdown?

Or is there risk of exposure? 

There's always a risk if you pass another person on the trail.

I shall be dusting off the rollers.

Ummm, lockdown means exactly that, lockdown. No leaving your property unless you work in the excluded sectors or are shopping for essentials.

Start preparing to commute to the shops on your bike..

I had to help get a guy with a broken femur off the flowy singletrack of Vasbyt in Tokai last Tuesday.

Just because it looks smooth and flowy doesn't mean you can't get it horribly wrong.

There’s an exception to every rule, doesn’t mean the rule isn’t still applicable.

The UK just went into lockdown, although they are allowed one exercise activity per day. The only rule being that you cycle(exercise) alone or along with members of the same household. 

I think they recognise the risk of people losing their **** being cooped up for too long. 

Ja look. Glad i dont live in the UK or anywhere where having a backyard is almost none existing. My pozzie has a degree of space here behind the Boerewors curtain. Just about enough so i can give the fir kids a bit of a run/chase. I’d HATE to be stuck in an apartment for 3 weeks... lockdown is also very easy if you live alone ????

The UK just went into lockdown, although they are allowed one exercise activity per day. The only rule being that you cycle(exercise) alone or along with members of the same household.

I think they recognise the risk of people losing their **** being cooped up for too long.

Edited by gemmerbal

Same here in Germany.  Said it in the other thread as well.  So we are allowed to cycle /jog / walk alone or with one family member in your household.  There is however an appeal among the cyclists that people should use the time wisely and not go on ultra distance rides and take any risks like dh rides and risky mtb rides.