Work of Art Bike = Bike of Artwork

DJR

:D :D Yes, he went around the block a couple of times with the fixed side of the flip-flop hub - and changed it around to freehub single speed - I'm kind of glad because I value his teeth! ;)

I'm curious, is there a clause saying you can't claim from your own medical aid if you work on your son's teeth? Or is it better to have a colleague do it so that son can't blame you later?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious, is there a clause saying you can't claim from your own medical aid if you work on your son's teeth? Or is it better to have a colleague do it so that son can't blame you later?

:D No, but he already got a few smashed playing hockey like a kamikazi warrior........and I'd rather spend my time riding and building bikes.  ;)

Edit: No, if it's in your plan, they don't care who does the work, but most dentists exclude it in their plans.

Edited by DJR

This is a close up of what we did with the downtube shifter bosses. The idea was to round them off so as to leave no sharp jagged edges. The shiny polished aluminium seems to "disappear" between the other equally shiny parts.

post-17716-0-62838900-1591687322_thumb.jpg

This is a close up of what we did with the downtube shifter bosses. The idea was to round them off so as to leave no sharp jagged edges. The shiny polished aluminium seems to "disappear" between the other equally shiny parts.

Lots and lots of hours spent polishing on this bike, well done DJR. But it is not a painful job though, when you are working towards a goal, more a of meditation or introspection exercise  .... 

Many years ago I built up a 57 Karmann Ghia .. spent hours and days polishing but never felt like a chore.  ;) 

Lots and lots of hours spent polishing on this bike, well done DJR. But it is not a painful job though, when you are working towards a goal, more a of meditation or introspection exercise  .... 

Many years ago I built up a 57 Karmann Ghia .. spent hours and days polishing but never felt like a chore.  ;) 

Funny you should mention that. Many years ago I did a 1960, but very regrettably sold it in a moment of madness. I even wrote an article about it for Car magazine. Stuart Johnston, their editor at the time, was / is a Ghia freak who owned a '57 if my memory serves me right..

post-17716-0-51221800-1591691432_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-33523400-1591691528_thumb.jpg

Funny you should mention that. Many years ago I did a 1960, but very regrettably sold it in a moment of madness. I even wrote an article about it for Car magazine. Stuart Johnston, their editor at the time, was / is a Ghia freak who owned a '57 if my memory serves me right..

Did this car perhaps made it`s way to Upington.

Here is a red one that have changed owners, not mine unfortunately. 

Did this car perhaps made it`s way to Upington.

Here is a red one that have changed owners, not mine unfortunately. 

I really don't know

That seatpost clamp is the most unusual thing and I hoped that it would help identify the frame, but this far nobody came up with even a guess. The seat tube is not split at all  and the clamp works with a little sliding lug that moves when you tighten the bolt to clamp the seat post. I'll post a few more close up pictures in the hope someone will.

I've been following with some interest.

The seat stays look a lot like an early 80s Peugeot style (although I don't think the clamp is theirs), but everything about it says French bike to me. It seemed to be more of a convention for other builders that the seat stays would sit on the outside of the seat tube rather than brazed on to the back of the tube and clamp.  Even the never-to-be-seen-again design fits the pattern of being very French. :-)

I have also learned that the Peugeots used Swiss threaded BBs back in the day, and that these can be reamed to an Italian thread - so bear in mind your BB may originally have been Swiss.

otherwise happy sleuthing

Edited by 100Tours

I've been following with some interest.

The seat stays look a lot like an early 80s Peugeot style (although I don't think the clamp is theirs), but everything about it says French bike to me. It seemed to be more of a convention for other builders that the seat stays would sit on the outside of the seat tube rather than brazed on to the back of the tube and clamp.  Even the never-to-be-seen-again design fits the pattern of being very French. :-)

I have also learned that the Peugeots used Swiss threaded BBs back in the day, and that these can be reamed to an Italian thread - so bear in mind your BB may originally have been Swiss.

otherwise happy sleuthing

Something new to learn every day. I'll post more pictures of the "before" in the hope you / someone come up with an ID.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump one more time for the few unfortunates who missed the marvel. (I'll have to take down the Miro images in a couple of days as per copyright arrangements.)

• 5 months later...

@DJR .... any update on possible manufacturer of this frame .... the seatpost clamp intrigues me no end  :D  :D  

• 1 month later...