Which Beginner Bicycle.

SBSP

Let me weigh in here: 

Buying a Makro-Dale or Game-cycle or whatever you want to call it has two major disadvantages: 

• Interchangeability of the parts which comes on said bike
  • Re-sale value of the bike

If I drill down the first point, those bikes normally have "lower-end" products on it and they do not really allow you to upgrade said products. I mean let's say you want to go from tubes over to tubeless as you're tired of all the punctures. Will the existing wheels allow for a seamless conversion by getting some tubeless tires? Not really, it could be done, don't get me wrong, it boils down to quality. 

How easily will you get replacement upgrades for the bike? I don't believe you'll have plenty of options

The quality of the existing parts will without a doubt be lower and won't last as long as you would want.

Onto the second point, you won't have the most success when trying to sell the bike when you do decide to upgrade. 

I can go on and on about the pro's and cons but I won't waste anymore of everyone's time to do so. The bottom line in my opinion is that I would rather go for a second hand bike (which will undoubtedly be much older and scratched up than the new shinny makrodale bikes) but they will last way longer and provide you with more miles before needing some attention.  

Take some time to have a look at what they have on offer:

https://bikemarket.co.za/product-category/bicycles/mountain-bikes/?min_price=2650&max_price=8420

It may also be worth paying a visit to the folks at Solomons, they will also have some entry level stuff. 

Feel free to pop me a pm if you need some guidance and or additional advise.

I think I made up my mind. And its going to be hard to convince me otherwise! :-)

The silverback Stratos AL3. Its Beautiful!

I just need to figure out if its worth paying for the AL3 or the AL5 (Lesser) Are the added components on the AL3 worth it. ??? So far I only see good remarks around the SB Stratos not too many reviews, guess its still a bit new.

Ohhh and I forgot to add, thanks for all the responses and friendly assistance so far.

Let me weigh in here: 

Buying a Makro-Dale or Game-cycle or whatever you want to call it has two major disadvantages: 

• Interchangeability of the parts which comes on said bike
  • Re-sale value of the bike

If I drill down the first point, those bikes normally have "lower-end" products on it and they do not really allow you to upgrade said products. I mean let's say you want to go from tubes over to tubeless as you're tired of all the punctures. Will the existing wheels allow for a seamless conversion by getting some tubeless tires? Not really, it could be done, don't get me wrong, it boils down to quality. 

How easily will you get replacement upgrades for the bike? I don't believe you'll have plenty of options

The quality of the existing parts will without a doubt be lower and won't last as long as you would want.

Onto the second point, you won't have the most success when trying to sell the bike when you do decide to upgrade. 

I can go on and on about the pro's and cons but I won't waste anymore of everyone's time to do so. The bottom line in my opinion is that I would rather go for a second hand bike (which will undoubtedly be much older and scratched up than the new shinny makrodale bikes) but they will last way longer and provide you with more miles before needing some attention.  

Take some time to have a look at what they have on offer:

https://bikemarket.co.za/product-category/bicycles/mountain-bikes/?min_price=2650&max_price=8420

It may also be worth paying a visit to the folks at Solomons, they will also have some entry level stuff. 

Feel free to pop me a pm if you need some guidance and or additional advise.

This is actually a nice looking bike:    https://bikemarket.co.za/shop/bicycles/mountain-bikes/signal-s610-xs-bmn43/

Both me and the wide are super excited, we got our bikes this morning.

Already took them for a spin. :w00t: I now realize how unfit I am. 

Extremely happy with the Silverback. I researched a little bit more and this ticks all the boxes of what makes a good beginner bike.

• Tubeless Ready
  • Air Shocks
  • Not sure what you call the gear setup but it only has a single gear in the front and a couple at the back. So much easier!
  • Clamping stem
  • 29er Wheels
  • Remote Dropper Post
  • Hydraulic brakes

I'm 1.8m tall and fits perfectly except for my arms which are a bit long, but the guy swapped out the stem for a longer one. For free! This is an M size bike.

Gear shifts are smooth, and peddling is amazing, super quiet. The drivetrain feels super direct.

The wife settled for a Titan Calypso Nova, I like the squareness of the frame. Does not have all the goodies that's on the silverback but she zoomed in on this one from the the start guess that's all that matters for now.

bikes.png

Edited by SBSP

Both me and the wide are super excited, we got our bikes this morning.

Already took them for a spin. :w00t: I now realize how unfit I am.

Extremely happy with the Silverback. I researched a little bit more and this ticks all the boxes of what makes a good beginner bike.

• Tubeless Ready
  • Air Shocks
  • Not sure what you call the gear setup but it only has a single gear in the front and a couple at the back. So much easier!
  • Clamping stem
  • 29er Wheels
  • Remote Dropper Post
  • Hydraulic brakes
I'm 1.8m tall and fits perfectly except for my arms which are a bit long, but the guy swapped out the stem for a longer one. For free! This is an M size bike.

Gear shifts are smooth, and peddling is amazing, super quiet. The drivetrain feels super direct.

The wife settled for a Titan Calypso Nova, I like the squareness of the frame. Does not have all the goodies that's on the silverback but she zoomed in on this one from the the start guess that's all that matters for now.

bikes.png

It's always exciting getting new bikes.

One question. Why are the saddles so low?

I tried to post a link and a photo, but I couldn't.

Sportsmans Warehouse has an Avalanche Reflex for R4999.

It will tick all your boxes and is infinitely better than the Raleigh you are looking at from Game.

Hey man

do  you  know whether  the Avalanche reflex is Tubeless ready?

Hey man

do you know whether the Avalanche reflex is Tubeless ready?

I would hazard a guess, and say “Yes, it can be converted - with rim tape and the right tyres”. Their website shows double wall rims.

It's always exciting getting new bikes.

One question. Why are the saddles so low?

On the wife's , she prefers it like that. The Silverback, remember that time when you first got into a car that had electric windows, and you press the button to open and close the windows until someone tells you to "cut it out"  I was  told to quit playing with the remote dropper post at the lowest position :blush:

Edited by SBSP