Bringing back the "Slow & Unfit" group

DR ◣◢

Some of you might remember a group on here called "Slow, Fat, & Unfit" (I was asked to drop the "fat" part). 

I'm starting it up again to help motivate other riders to ride more without feeling that they aren't strong or fast enough to ride with a group. 

The group is Johannesburg based with rides organised at the following venues: 

- The Spruit

- Big Red Barn

- Northern Farms

- Van Galens

- Nothing too technical

The average pace is around 12km/h and we do stop regularly for riders to catch up and catch their breath. 

We do aim for about 20km rides to get a good workout in. 

I've been riding and wrenching on bikes for the last 26 years so assistance with mechanicals and some skills training will be provided on the trail. 

This if free and for fun only. 

Those interested can DM me for my contact number. We will be creating a whatsapp group to communicate in.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Well done i hope your group grows !

Thanks Rush1. 

Couple of people have sent me DMs so far and we should organise our first ride soon.

I'd absolutely love to join this group, but living in Benoni I'm afraid its a bit far.

any idea of a very similar group nearby me?

I'd absolutely love to join this group, but living in Benoni I'm afraid its a bit far.

I'm in germiston and I to am looking for a riding buddy/ group this side of town... I'm trying to send you a DM but won't send for whatever reason,

Great initiative, good way to get fit again and learn some stuff along the way. Centurion here so Red Barn may be an option. Also looking for a slow & unfit road group on this side.

In normal times i.e. not Covid 19 there are early morning Saturday rides with  Procycles MTB Group (Benoni)  and there are normally 2 rides, one is a shorter and slower one about 20km paced to slowest rider and very relaxed.  That might be suitable?

Edited by Red Robin

I'm part of an MTB WhatsApp group that's Based in Parkrand / Sunward Park in Boksburg. Very accommodating, all skill and fitness levels welcome.

Think this is a great initiative as lots of guys are nervous about taking their first mtb steps solo.

Edited by TyronLab

These sound like the perfect places for me ???????????? please add me

Zero79 four92 4four68

Thanks for the advice guys. @TyroneLab, I'm a roadie, so unfortunately the MTB group won't work for me.

@Red Robin I will try to look it up. Last I heard Procycles were in a bit of trouble business wise (their store hasn't been open) but maybe the group is still active. Do they offer road groups?

Thanks for the advice guys. @TyroneLab, I'm a roadie, so unfortunately the MTB group won't work for me.

@Red Robin I will try to look it up. Last I heard Procycles were in a bit of trouble business wise (their store hasn't been open) but maybe the group is still active. Do they offer road groups?

Procycles  moved premises and that was why the store was closed, they are still fully operational. They will be in their new premises at BCC  from about 16th July is what I was told. Unfortunately its not a road group just MTB.

The bike shop in Atlasville across the road from the Spar, think it's called Bicycle Line, they have road groups but not sure of  further details. 

Hope you find a suitable road group. 

Edited by Red Robin

Yup, Bicycle Line has daily rides (except Mondays), road, with average speeds ranging from 23kph to 32kph+ depending on group. Start at 04:40 in the mornings, usually at the very least a 20-strong group, but peaks in the summer close to 94.7 and through december with 40 guys.

I have been dropped and left behind on one or two occasions, but never in the slowest group as they'll always wait for everyone.

Some of you might remember a group on here called "Slow, Fat, & Unfit" (I was asked to drop the "fat" part). 

I'm starting it up again to help motivate other riders to ride more without feeling that they aren't strong or fast enough to ride with a group. 

The group is Johannesburg based with rides organised at the following venues: 

- The Spruit

- Big Red Barn

- Northern Farms

- Van Galens

- Nothing too technical

The average pace is around 12km/h and we do stop regularly for riders to catch up and catch their breath. 

We do aim for about 20km rides to get a good workout in. 

I've been riding and wrenching on bikes for the last 26 years so assistance with mechanicals and some skills training will be provided on the trail. 

This if free and for fun only. 

Those interested can DM me for my contact number. We will be creating a whatsapp group to communicate in.

So glad I had a look at the forums, count me in! I sent you a pm!

Edited by TЯΞB