Raleigh Indoor Trainer

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking about getting a cheap indoor dumb trainer to keep the legs moving during the week. Has anyone had an experience with the Raleigh Magnetic trainer? They go for about 1300 at Game. Will this be okay or should I invest in something better like Giant Or Cycleops mag trainers which are double the price? I would obviously love a smart trainer but not sure budget allows for this.

https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/All-Game-Categories/Sports-%26-Leisure/Bicycles%2C-Scooters-%26-Skates/Bicycle-Accessories/Cycle-Accessories/Raleigh-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer-Black/p/789448-EA

I don't like indoor trainers, they are as boring as heck. Had one for 10 years and used it a sum total of 5 times.

You will find the Raleigh does the same thing as the other more expensive ones, so it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Just make double sure, some of the cheaper trainers can only mount quick release wheels.

If you have a more modern boost/thru axle, it may not work. I'm not sure if there are adapters or work around.

The resistance on these cheap trainers are not that great.

I wouldn't buy a cheapie.

I don't like indoor trainers, they are as boring as heck. Had one for 10 years and used it a sum total of 5 times.

You will find the Raleigh does the same thing as the other more expensive ones, so it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Just make double sure, some of the cheaper trainers can only mount quick release wheels.

If you have a more modern boost/thru axle, it may not work. I'm not sure if there are adapters or work around.

sorry man... not true at all. they are not all the same.

Unless you are going to be Zwifting or similar go for it. 

I have an old one that had a resistance setting, which had broken so it is set on the heavy setting. You use your gears to adjust the difficulty. 

The amount of time you will use it is so little (unless you are a Zwifter) it will do the job, and more.

On the other hand, I do five hours of structured workouts every week on an indoor trainer. So, some use it and some don't. It depends upon the individual.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it. :-) 

At the moment I am looking for something on BikeHub, hopefully a good deal comes up soon. 

Be careful

- we all bought entry level IDT's to just swing the legs - Now we re-bonded our houses to pay for these smart things with climb mechanisms, computerized fans, floors that rock, music systems that make tomorrow land look like the local disco, dedicated 65" TV's that even NASA would be jealous of and monthly subs to at least 3 online training apps where we can dope without ever being caught.

I mean riding our bikes with our mates out on the road and having a coffee afterwards is just so yesterday

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

At that pricepoint don't discount a 2nd hand spinning bike. you won't eat tires and your drivetrain and IMO the heavy flywheel gives a smoother better feeling.

I will also say if you can pick up a used fluid 2, can easily do structured workouts with it and is a cheap way to also ride Zwift with a speed and cadence sensor.  The fluid 2 has a very good and known power curve to aid in this.

Much better option than the Raleigh or similar.

I mean riding our bikes with our mates out on the road and having a coffee afterwards is just so yesterday

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Becos COVID... :whistling: