The Space Between: What cycling events might look like in a post Covid19 world

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of time trial will already reduce the interest and field. LOL

A similar suggestion came up in random discussion, but leaning toward team team trial like at DC.

'cos we all know how teams keep their distances at the DC  :clap:

Why havent they implemented these measures to prevent TB, flu, common cold, pneumonia etc from spreading?

At best, covid has a moratlity rate of 0.05%, which is even lower amongst young fit people and has a near negliable risk of transmission outdoors.

We have become so affraid of death, we are forgetting to live our lives.

It has taken a lot of self regulation to avoid a warning point here.

Throw caution to the wind and go for it......

You wicked bastard.

There, I did it [emoji23]

You wicked bastard.

There, I did it [emoji23]

You have not lived until you have incurred a couple of warning points.This place reminds me of NZ nanny state

To date I have not spent 1 cent at any cycling expo. In fact, in 2016 I visited the CTCT expo to collect my number, and crossed the street to go buy a pair of Craft MTB baggies at Chris Willemse. I did not even want to look to see what was available at the expo.

Apart from that, I have only ever bought a cup of coffee at Trailseeker Hemel & Aarde I think back in 2015.

I'm not a big spender at events, and I can't see why I am forced to have to endure the pain of looking at rubbish I'm not interested in. I'm there to ride my bike, not shop. I get that other people feel different about it, and that's why an option to pass is not completely off the mark.

You must be a lot of fun on holiday. I can just picture you in the Piazza della Signoria gesticulating with a gelatarian who has no English beyond what he sees on The Voice about how two blocks away you can get an ice cream for a whole Euro less, and in actual fact back in South Africa where you come from you could get three cornettos for the price of one of his ice creams, and they're actually better anyway.

I actually enjoy the CTCT expo, always nice to find new products and go bargain hunting.

It was a bit disappointing this year to be honest. 

no Solomons! that was a turning point.

But i agree with you on the covid interactions there this year, but the thing is you don't actually need to go to the expo anyway to collect your number. You can just get a cycling friend who is going to collect for you. You do have cycling friends right?

no Solomons! that was a turning point.

Many good points made above. As a transplanted cyclist, I am in the very high risk COVID group, staying away from all crowds and groups, and yet, and yet.....

The way forward must include smaller groups, and even groups where trusted friends or clubmates ride together.

There is little pleasure for me in HUGE events. The crowds, the crazies trying to impress mama down the blue route, the toilets(!).

The EXPO has already been mentioned. Google what Sean Kelly has to say about wandering round an expo before a big event.

For me the Argus has always been about the journey to get there, not the day itself. Many of my most enjoyable events have been the preparation for the big one. The day itself can be a big let down, and I never place too much reliance on it

Its just like planning new Years Eve for weeks only to find it cannot live up to expectations.

It must be Smaller events. Tighter groups. Better sanitation. All admin done online.

And please dont cough near me, as a smack in the mouth often offends, lol

You have not lived until you have incurred a couple of warning points.This place reminds me of NZ nanny state

NZ nanny state where they are racing again now without masks and without concern for a virus because they managed it and are back to close to normal already? Seems like a fair trade to me...

Many good points made above. As a transplanted cyclist, I am in the very high risk COVID group, staying away from all crowds and groups, and yet, and yet.....

The way forward must include smaller groups, and even groups where trusted friends or clubmates ride together.

There is little pleasure for me in HUGE events. The crowds, the crazies trying to impress mama down the blue route, the toilets(!).

The EXPO has already been mentioned. Google what Sean Kelly has to say about wandering round an expo before a big event.

For me the Argus has always been about the journey to get there, not the day itself. Many of my most enjoyable events have been the preparation for the big one. The day itself can be a big let down, and I never place too much reliance on it

Its just like planning new Years Eve for weeks only to find it cannot live up to expectations.

It must be Smaller events. Tighter groups. Better sanitation. All admin done online.

And please dont cough near me, as a smack in the mouth often offends, lol

Every cough is not 'rona... I just shake my head sometimes

I like to reflect on history a bit, reflect where we are now and then venture a guess on what the future will look like....

History: 1918 Spanish flu.  I did a top line read somewhere and they conquered the virus after about 2-3 years.  Also went through the 2nd and 3rd waves, and they found people to have natural high levels of immunity + a vaccine. Life was back to normal circa 1921.

Current: 2020 - Globally,we are < 7 months into Covid, As we all know, some are over the 1st wave (Italy, France, Germany, etc) and some are very much still in it (RSA, India, US, Brazil, Russia).  Some are in their 2nd wave (Australia and perhaps Spain?).  Initial indications are immunity is temporary, no vaccine yet.  Truth be told, we know very little on how to conquer this one.

Future:  Perhaps oversimplified - if we get the vaccine/immunity combo right, we will have life as we had from 1921 - 2019. If not, who knows, but cycling will not be top of mind, survival - economic and otherwise will become the focus.

Future:  Perhaps oversimplified - if we get the vaccine/immunity combo right, we will have life as we had from 1921 - 2019. If not, who knows, but cycling will not be top of mind, survival - economic and otherwise will become the focus.

I will disagree with you on sport (not just cycling) not being top of mind.

Sport matters. Not only are some sports such financial and economic powerhouses that they keep entire economies afloat, even marginal ones have a dramatic effect on the overall wellbeing and morale of a population. 

Listen to lance's Forward podcast with Charles Barkley, they unpack it and explain it a lot better than I can, but it's a real effect. Look at how a simple feel good around the springbok's winning a world cup buoys our economy and drives investor sentiment. 

So much happens based on emotion you can't discount it.

Edited by TNT1