Disc-brake wheels road bike

pmswanepoel

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you want training wheels on a disc bike ?

Rim brake, different story. One would try to save the brake track...

I did it for years with my previous bike, nothing to do with the brake track in my case.

I got entry-level wheels with the groupset, with Gatorskin tyres and a cheaper cassette, and used that to train with.

Then for races I'd use the much lighter American Classics, with GP4000 tyres and higher end cassette.

Then I'd get the (real or imagined) benefit of the better equipment for when it mattered, and less wear on more expensive tyres or cassettes. Mind you, Gatorskins have gotten expensive...

[Edit:] My current bike has discs, and I will do the above again, when I eventually get those carbon deep sections that are completely pointless with no races right now ;)

Edited by HdB

My current bike has discs, and I will do the above again, when I eventually get those carbon deep sections that are completely pointless with no races right now ;)

Good enough reason to ride the good wheels all the time. :D

Having a "racing wheelset" to me seems like a very bad way to spend your money. You buy the wheels and the value drops by 50% in 24hrs.

Now you baby those wheels and next year want to finance the latest set and have to give away a perfectly good set of wheels. So unless the wheelset your bike has is really very basic just ride the wheels.

I used to have race tyres. I stopped bothering with hat when low mileage tyres would start breaking apart due to the rubber hardening over time. Now I just buy the tyres I want and ride them.

If you riding 25hrs a week and racing every weekend then ya sure a set of race wheels would be great. Just make sure that set is carbon tubbies :)

Having a "racing wheelset" to me seems like a very bad way to spend your money. You buy the wheels and the value drops by 50% in 24hrs.

Now you baby those wheels and next year want to finance the latest set and have to give away a perfectly good set of wheels. So unless the wheelset your bike has is really very basic just ride the wheels.

I used to have race tyres. I stopped bothering with hat when low mileage tyres would start breaking apart due to the rubber hardening over time. Now I just buy the tyres I want and ride them.

If you riding 25hrs a week and racing every weekend then ya sure a set of race wheels would be great. Just make sure that set is carbon tubbies :)

You're predicting my future purchases? haha...

To be cleaer - I have a set of wheels for racing. I need a set for training that a) I don't mind damaging and b) are less likely to be damaged. I have been doing this for around 15 years now and have ben served well.

Now you baby those wheels and next year want to finance the latest set and have to give away a perfectly good set of wheels.

If you tend to replace your wheels regularly anyway, then fair enough.

I replace my wheels if/when they break, or I get a new bike that is incompatible with them (eg. going from a rim brake to disc brake bike).

I had my previous 'training' wheels (Campagnolo Vento, they're bombproof) since Xmas 2005. Bought my new bike last year December, so now my dad uses them. He'll replace them if/when they break, or he buys a disc brake bike.

These look nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBvbBuaHVFI/

Edited by HdB

Do some calculations.

You would likely be able to insure some good racing wheels for far cheaper than buying new training wheels.

Doubt that. Training wheels I'm looking at 3-4k. Insurance is a perpetual monthly payment..

Do some calculations.

You would likely be able to insure some good racing wheels for far cheaper than buying new training wheels.

Correct, also you running 2 cassettes, tyres, then they will need to be serviced etc. Just gave up with the training wheels.