A wine thread: What's in your glass?

Delarey

Good idea for a thread.

Ooh Springfield - need to get them to put a sign on the vineyards that i have personally paid for. 

What specials are out there?

Hartenberg had a 15% off. Constantia Glen as well had some good offers.

Thing is when the last lockdown was in place i ordered a lot of wine from some sites and estates. Some ran out - Highlands Road had a 2 for 1 special which they couldn't fulfill so they shipped Pino Noir instead. Now its not a bad Pinot Noir but i have a lot of it. Cybercellar - i am still awaiting delivery of some of the stuff i ordered wich disappeared in to Aramex. Eventually cancelled and to their credit they refunded the money but i am now gun shy of specials as the delivery seems to be a nightmare.

TBH - will wait until the furore has died down a little and go down the road to Liquor City in Broadacres where they have a good selection. That way i dont wait 3 weeks for it.

Which South African Pinot is your favourite?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which South African Pinot is your favourite?

I have never been a massive drinker of Pinot - a good one is spectacular but i mainly drink blends and Cab/Shiraz styles - love a good cab franc etc.

I have about 36 bottles of the Highlands Road as a result of their "special" so i am learning to enjoy it.

I have never been a massive drinker of Pinot - a good one is spectacular but i mainly drink blends and Cab/Shiraz styles - love a good cab franc etc.

I have about 36 bottles of the Highlands Road as a result of their "special" so i am learning to enjoy it.

Pinot is probably my favourite cultivar, but the price point for a good one excludes it from being a daily drink. My favourite SA red wine is probably Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak, but there are a few others that are in a similar league.

Sadly I have to admit I once preferred La Verge Pinot over Galpin Peak in a blind taste  (most people at the the tasting did the same). Peter Finlayson said something very interesting in explanation:  "in a blind tasting, sugar is very seductive". Same reason why Pepsi outperformed Coke in blind tastings.

Pinot is probably my favourite cultivar, but the price point for a good one excludes it from being a daily drink. My favourite SA red wine is probably Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak, but there are a few others that are in a similar league.

Sadly I have to admit I once preferred La Verge Pinot over Galpin Peak in a blind taste  (most people at the the tasting did the same). Peter Finlayson said something very interesting in explanation:  "in a blind tasting, sugar is very seductive". Same reason why Pepsi outperformed Coke in blind tastings.

Yep you are up the Hemel and Aarde there. Galpin Peak is lovely. Hamilton Russell was really good but i think its overpriced for what it is now. I have the La Vierge in the rack maybe i should compare the two (it and Highland Road).

Its a distinct flavour - very meaty. I skew towards Bordeaux blends - my all time favourites are probably Rust n Vrede as a go to wine when i am looking for a glass of something special. I also love constantia Glen 5.

Warwick - First Lady

Ken Forrester - SGM

Canto - Merlot

Sound of Silence - Oak valley.

I made some damage this weekend to my stash.. down to only 4 bottles as of yesterday. 

Warwick - First Lady

Ken Forrester - SGM

Canto - Merlot

Sound of Silence - Oak valley.

I made some damage this weekend to my stash.. down to only 4 bottles as of yesterday.

I have a friend that has about 300 bottles of wine in her cellar[emoji1787]

Every time I visit her down in the Cape I try and help clear some out but then she always end up getting more.[emoji1787]

Edited by Gen

Anyone who have done W2W would know this one. Not sure how I got up in the mornings, but it sure went down well in the evenings on those bean bags.

262a99afa223861dd103203e553cad70.jpg

Nou praat jy!! 

I have a friend that has about 300 bottles of wine in her cellar[emoji1787]

Every time I visit her down in the Cape I try and help clear some out but then she always end up getting more.[emoji1787]

I need an adress.... lol

I have a friend with about a thousand bottles. I have about 200 when all the racks are full. The thing is at 1000 bottles your wine goes off faster than what you can drink it at. Seriously. 

Our SA wines are not that good at being kept any more.

Have a HPF Kleinboet 2016 in The glass now as this conversation inspired me.

What stemware are you using. I wasn't a believer until i did the Riedel vertical tastings and was dumbfounded.

Good glasses make all the difference...

I have a friend with about a thousand bottles. I have about 200 when all the racks are full. The thing is at 1000 bottles your wine goes off faster than what you can drink it at. Seriously. 

One of my all time best purchases was a Liebherr Vinothek wine cooler. Got a crazy bargain on gumtree from a guy who emigrated. It takes about 200 bottles I think. Apart from perfect maturation conditions, it is awesome to drink red wine at exactly the right temperature in both summer and winter. It makes a HUGE difference.

Edited by Delarey

One of my all time best purchases was a Lieberr Vinothek wine cooler. Got a crazy bargain on gumtree from a guy who emigrated. It takes about 200 bottles I think. Apart from perfect maturation conditions, it is awesome to drink red wine at exactly the right temperature in both summer and winter. It makes a HUGE difference.

Most people don't understand how much difference temperature makes and that room temp is 16 degrees, even cooler for Pinot.

One of my all time best purchases was a Lieberr Vinothek wine cooler. Got a crazy bargain on gumtree from a guy who emigrated. It takes about 200 bottles I think. Apart from perfect maturation conditions, it is awesome to drink red wine at exactly the right temperature in both summer and winter. It makes a HUGE difference.

There is a misconception around red wine and room temperature in SA..room temp in SA is far too hot man.

This I remember from my last wine tasting there must have been an hour long discussion about it[emoji1787]