Shimano SLX 12 Spd upgrade kit with Sunrace 11-51T

Mtb2009

Hi guys,

I am planning on upgrading my drivetrain to the Shimano SLX 1 X 12.

Parts:

SLX derailleur
SLX shifter
SLX chain
Sunrace cassette 11/51 (As I have a Shimano freehub)
Deckas Narrow Wide 34T chainring

I've read on forums that the new Shimano chain might not work very well with a different chainring other than Shimano.

Anyone else running a similar setup with a none Shimano chainring and cassette and how was the shifting?

Cheers,

Hey buddy - i can't comment on the cassette as I have XTR cassette and chain by i don't have shimano chain ring (I have next crank and race face chain ring). This is the standard set up on some Specialized bikes. I have no problem with shifting.

I'm interested to know the price for the upgrade kit that you're looking at as I'm thinking exactly the same for my wife's bike which is still running XT 2X10.

I run this kit with a Lyne Components crankset / chainring. No issues with KMC chainring that comes with it.

However.... nevermind what I try I can’t get crisp shifting in the middle range of gears on the cassette.

Regret not going for SRAM instead.

Hey buddy - i can't comment on the cassette as I have XTR cassette and chain by i don't have shimano chain ring (I have next crank and race face chain ring). This is the standard set up on some Specialized bikes. I have no problem with shifting.

I'm interested to know the price for the upgrade kit that you're looking at as I'm thinking exactly the same for my wife's bike which is still running XT 2X10.

I'm paying around R4750 for the lot.

SLX derailleur
SLX shifter
SLX chain
Sunrace 11/51
Deckas chainring
Edited by Mtb2009

Hi guys,

I am planning on upgrading my drivetrain to the Shimano SLX 1 X 12.

Parts:

SLX derailleur

SLX shifter

SLX chain

Sunrace cassette 11/51 (As I have a Shimano freehub)

Deckas Narrow Wide 34T chainring

I've read on forums that the new Shimano chain might not work very well with a different chainring other than Shimano.

Anyone else running a similar setup with a none Shimano chainring and cassette and how was the shifting?

Cheers,

So I am getting a SLX equipped new bike soon (yay), and I currently have a Hope crankset that i have been using in 2x form on my current bike, and I have a real boner for that crankset.

Looking at swinging it over onto the new bike, and also worried about hyperglide+ chain/chainring compatibility.

Checked the Hope website for their direct mount chainring compatibility, and interestingly they say it is compatible with Shimano 12 speed, but not the Shimano 12 speed quicklink.

Now for some reason I trust Hope when it comes

to the details. So I really wonder how much of the Shimano 12 speed chainring/chain compatibility issues have to do with the quicklink? Maybe the whole

issue can be solved with a KMC 12 speed quicklink?

Edited by Knersboy

I had an issue with the sunrace 11-50 12spd... The 11t doesn't seem to have great engagement with the splines of the freehub, so mine actually destroyed my freehub. Yes, torque was right as there wasn't much more issue on the other rings. It seems the 11t was juuuuuust engaging too far outboard...

Not fun. I do now use a 10-50 XD compatible sunrace cassette and it's working perfectly. Strange arrangement with the adapter is uses but nothing to be disturbed by, weight is good, and it runs well... Liking it so far!

Found the problem with the shifting so if anyone had similar issues with delayed shifting in the midrange you need to set the b-tension about 3mm below the recommended line on the derailleur.

Mine is 90% better and I’m sure I can fine tune the remaining 10%.

Took a bit of googling but it fixed my problem.

I have the exact setup as you do on my hardtail, but i have the sunrace 11-50t cassette..... Shifting is not great at all. I've spend hours fine tunning the derailer with little success. I would rather get the sram 11-50t cassette. Shimano and sram 12 speed components work on each other. I've also read that the sunrace cassettes work better with KMC chains.

Found the problem with the shifting so if anyone had similar issues with delayed shifting in the midrange you need to set the b-tension about 3mm below the recommended line on the derailleur.

Hardtail or dual suspension ?

Seems dual suss can be fun to set correctly, while allowing for suspension travel.

Hardtail or dual suspension ?

Seems dual suss can be fun to set correctly, while allowing for suspension travel.

The one with the squishy backside.

Thanks for this. Will give it a try. Thought maybe my setup was not correct or maybe that I should of just gone with the xt.