Pyga Hyrax

StevieG

Howdy everyone. Thought maybe I could get some feedback from owners of this bike. It's on my shortlist for a new Dual Sus. Hoping to get a demo ride soon enough, but the whole aluminium vs carbon thing bugs me. The price seems quite high for an alu frame, but I'm torn between wheather to possibly look elsewhere for carbon instead, or is that a debate not worth getting into?

Currently on a cannondale with 100mm of travel, so looking forward to seeing how a burlier bike like this will handle my local trails here in Ballito. Starting to get into jumping more, and loving the fast technical descents more and more. Internet reviews seem good, but would love to get some more personal feedback

Carbon vs Allu should in reality be a personal preference thing, rather than a price point thing. 

A good Allu frame can be incredible, a bad carbon frame can be terrible. One is not infenitely better than the other. In fact, in many application, especailly when regulart shuttling etc is invovled, Allu is a superior choice. Its the componentry that makes the price of a bike worth it or not. 

The hyrax is a very well made, well designed Allu frameset, so that wont be an issue. It is an incredile frame. 

But, based on the bike you are currenrly riding, you may be better suited to shop in the short travel trail bike space instead, and there are a lot of great options there. 

for most SA riding conditions, and especially for a rider progressing from a 100mm XC bike, 130mm travel is plenty, and you wont hate it as much in the climbs

Others will differ.., but Aluminium is a great material for full suspension trail bikes.

I have a Pyga 120/650 and it is a phenomenal bike. Have not ridden the Hyrax, but you can rest as

assured it comes from a stable of bikes with a very solid reputation.

My experience with carbon trail bikes is that they are susceptible to having the bearings and pivot points loosen up in the carbon matrix over time while Alu bikes are pretty bombproof. This can be an issue particularly if you're riding in wet or dirty conditions on a frequent basis. I have previously had issues with a carbon bikes from GT and Lapierre from a few years ago, but I don't see how this problem is ever solved.

Thanks guys, solid advice. The 150mm fork travel on the Hyrax is probably overkill for what I ride around here, but i'm looking for a bike I can grow into as well. For me the climbs are just a means to get to the downhill sections. Will try see if I can get a demo, but not looking to make another bike purchase for a few years to come

Thanks guys, solid advice. The 150mm fork travel on the Hyrax is probably overkill for what I ride around here, but i'm looking for a bike I can grow into as well. For me the climbs are just a means to get to the downhill sections. Will try see if I can get a demo, but not looking to make another bike purchase for a few years to come

Im riding a aluminium Slakline, awesome bike. Youre welcome to message me directly with any specific questions. 

If you want to up your skills and terrain you ride, I would definitely recommend something like the Hyrax instead of a beefed up XC bike. The slacker geometry and longer travel definitely helps to progress you riding to higher technical levels. 

Howdy everyone. Thought maybe I could get some feedback from owners of this bike. It's on my shortlist for a new Dual Sus. Hoping to get a demo ride soon enough, but the whole aluminium vs carbon thing bugs me. The price seems quite high for an alu frame, but I'm torn between wheather to possibly look elsewhere for carbon instead, or is that a debate not worth getting into?

Currently on a cannondale with 100mm of travel, so looking forward to seeing how a burlier bike like this will handle my local trails here in Ballito. Starting to get into jumping more, and loving the fast technical descents more and more. Internet reviews seem good, but would love to get some more personal feedback

get in touch with Hilton at Pyga

pretty sure he'll make a plan - the guys at Pyga are super passionate and super helpful

numbers on their website

I'd buy a Hyrax in a heartbeat if I was in the market right now. Looks like an awesome do it all bike (albeit leaning a bit to the Enduro side). The geo looks spot on, and Pyga has a reputation for building solid frames.

As for the Alu vs Carbon thing, on those sorts of bikes I prefer alu. On an XC bike where weight and stiffness is everything carbon is king. For trail and enduro alu frames are excellent - you do not feel as sorry for them when you throw them on a shuttle or take a tumble in a rock garden. In that category carbon frames are built beefy, so they are nearly as heavy as alu bikes, and sometimes overly stiff and harsh. Both my frames are alu, with lots of carbon bits and pieces on the bike. Personally I think you feel the effects of carbon in wheels more than frames - so that's where I spend money. Just make sure the geo is what you want and don't worry about frame material.

Alu will not impress in the parking lot as much as carbon will, but that's hopefully not why you ride bikes.

Happy shopping!

I'd buy a Hyrax in a heartbeat if I was in the market right now. Looks like an awesome do it all bike (albeit leaning a bit to the Enduro side). The geo looks spot on, and Pyga has a reputation for building solid frames.

As for the Alu vs Carbon thing, on those sorts of bikes I prefer alu. On an XC bike where weight and stiffness is everything carbon is king. For trail and enduro alu frames are excellent - you do not feel as sorry for them when you throw them on a shuttle or take a tumble in a rock garden. In that category carbon frames are built beefy, so they are nearly as heavy as alu bikes, and sometimes overly stiff and harsh. Both my frames are alu, with lots of carbon bits and pieces on the bike. Personally I think you feel the effects of carbon in wheels more than frames - so that's where I spend money. Just make sure the geo is what you want and don't worry about frame material.

Alu will not impress in the parking lot as much as carbon will, but that's hopefully not why you ride bikes.

Happy shopping!

Those raw alu Pygas have legit carpark cred

I was on a rigid ss for 7 years before I bought my new bike. I was getting a bit more adventurous wrt riding and wanted something burly.

I got a 170mm/165mm bike with long, low and slack geo. I knew it was going to make a difference to my riding but it has given me so much confidence and joy that I don’t regret it for a second.

Get the bike man.

I was on a rigid ss for 7 years before I bought my new bike. I was getting a bit more adventurous wrt riding and wanted something burly.

I got a 170mm/165mm bike with long, low and slack geo. I knew it was going to make a difference to my riding but it has given me so much confidence and joy that I don’t regret it for a second.

Get the bike man.

Jeepers, talk about jumping straight into the deep end.

Get the bike man.

Glad you have recovered from the "Thaba kotz" incident

Hahaha! Jis. My wallet is still suffering. Had to replace my derailleur on the next ride...

If you rode any of the blue trails at Thaba on a rigid ss and didn't walk 99% of them you're a ******* monster that deserves a free beer at every bar he ever visits.

Do share more detail about this experience?