Bike Fall at 20kph and i had a hip replacement .

FirstV8

How long was your recovery and are you still riding today . My crash happened a road bike .

The operation was on 25 March 2015 and I was up and walking with a frame on the morning of 28 March 2015.

I followed the doc's and physio's instructions as regards daily exercise routines and used my IDT to get back into the muscle movement routines of cycling.

My hip damage was gradual, a motorbike accident (probably) a long time ago had damaged the articular cartilage which had worn over time and was causing a great deal of pain and lack of lateral articulation.

My first commute was on 30 June 2015 (22km each way). But I had been riding regularly from the end of April.

Unfortunately before the COVID stuff happened I wasn't riding as much as I wanted to due to work stuff, but still managing at least 100km per week usually on one or two rides.

I still ride up to this day and there's been no pain, I'm just careful in certain turns.

Here's my reaction to the first commute after the op.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/107303-things-ive-learnt-from-commuting/page-107 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*lecture warning*

You have had the trauma of the crash and broken bones. Then the trauma of the orthopod taking power tools to your hip and femur.

So, your focus right now should not be on your fitness at all, just on rest (you need afternoon naps), good nutrition, and recovering.

Forget about the bike for now entirely, you will have plenty time to ride again. Your body is recovering from a major ordeal. Let it.

I got back on my trainer for short rides just 2 weeks after my hip replacement, and I was obsessed with doing walks on my crutches, like 2 or 3km. And I did the physio’s regime to excess, childishly thinking I would recover quicker. In retrospect, it was all insane, and it just set my recovery back. It took 6 months before I felt human again, because my premature activities caused iliopsoas tendonitis 6 weeks post op. It was painful and debilitating, and screwed up what would have otherwise been a flawless recovery.

I was stupid. So, its a case of do as I say, not as I do. A hip replacement is a major op, and although it has a fantastic success rate, you need to respect the enormity of what your body has been through. And the water bottle and the Garmin on that walker suggest that you’re being at least as stupid as I was. They also suggest that you will pay no heed to my unsolicited advice. Ah well, I tried.

Anyway, the good news is that 2 years post op, and I am whole again, after limping around in hip pain for a couple years.

I ride about or 4 or 5 times a week (sometimes less depending on work and laziness factors), a lot indoors, but also on the road and on easy non technical mountain biking trails. But, I know that if I come off and break my operated hip or leg, I am in serious trouble. Hence I am totally risk averse, and still feel safest on my trainer. On the road, I mainly ride alone or in small trusted groups, and I walk even the mildest of humps on the trails. But, I cherish every ride and every walk I do.

Please post an x ray if you have one.

I wish you a full and complete recovery. And may you ride safe and pain free for all of your days.

*lecture warning*

You have had the trauma of the crash and broken bones. Then the trauma of the orthopod taking power tools to your hip and femur.

So, your focus right now should not be on your fitness at all, just on rest (you need afternoon naps), good nutrition, and recovering.

Forget about the bike for now entirely, you will have plenty time to ride again. Your body is recovering from a major ordeal. Let it.

I got back on my trainer for short rides just 2 weeks after my hip replacement, and I was obsessed with doing walks on my crutches, like 2 or 3km. And I did the physio’s regime to excess, childishly thinking I would recover quicker. In retrospect, it was all insane, and it just set my recovery back. It took 6 months before I felt human again, because my premature activities caused iliopsoas tendonitis 6 weeks post op. It was painful and debilitating, and screwed up what would have otherwise been a flawless recovery.

I was stupid. So, its a case of do as I say, not as I do. A hip replacement is a major op, and although it has a fantastic success rate, you need to respect the enormity of what your body has been through. And the water bottle and the Garmin on that walker suggest that you’re being at least as stupid as I was. They also suggest that you will pay no heed to my unsolicited advice. Ah well, I tried.

Anyway, the good news is that 2 years post op, and I am whole again, after limping around in hip pain for a couple years.

I ride about or 4 or 5 times a week (sometimes less depending on work and laziness factors), a lot indoors, but also on the road and on easy non technical mountain biking trails. But, I know that if I come off and break my operated hip or leg, I am in serious trouble. Hence I am totally risk averse, and still feel safest on my trainer. On the road, I mainly ride alone or in small trusted groups, and I walk even the mildest of humps on the trails. But, I cherish every ride and every walk I do.

Please post an x ray if you have one.

I wish you a full and complete recovery. And may you ride safe and pain free for all of your days.

Friend had a hip replacement end 2018 ... she was on the move very quick ... much more so tjan recommended by the doctor ....

2019 she had to have another replacement ....

Jury is out if it is due to too much exercise too quickly, or some other medical reason ....

Certainly not worth it to overdo it in the first weeks.

Really hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Harryn thank you for an honest and frank answer . The water bottle is for ease of having it available and the Garmin was put on the frame just for the pic ( its not doing its work ) I have consoled myself to the fact that i will  be off my bike for at least 4 to 6 months and then only start on my indoor at a very relaxed pace . Mtb trails will have to take a back seat for a while so il be doing much the same as you did and ride alone or with small trusted groups . My physio is a friend and also a cyclist so i am under scrutiny from her and my wife 24/7 . My wife doesn't like the DIY work that i do that's now on her shoulders . . Looking at the pics i have i realise how major an op this is and shock to ones system . Im 68 so will be very careful in future as i now know how brittle my bones are . But i will be back as the saying goes .

post-111826-0-22148000-1600808677_thumb.jpg

Harryn thank you for an honest and frank answer . The water bottle is for ease of having it available and the Garmin was put on the frame just for the pic ( its not doing its work ) I have consoled myself to the fact that i will  be off my bike for at least 4 to 6 months and then only start on my indoor at a very relaxed pace . Mtb trails will have to take a back seat for a while so il be doing much the same as you did and ride alone or with small trusted groups . My physio is a friend and also a cyclist so i am under scrutiny from her and my wife 24/7 . My wife doesn't like the DIY work that i do that's now on her shoulders . . Looking at the pics i have i realise how major an op this is and shock to ones system . Im 68 so will be very careful in future as i now know how brittle my bones are . But i will be back as the saying goes .

Good luck, you'll be surprised at the speed with which you'll become extremely mobile. But do be careful.

Wishing the best and a speedy recovery. 

That’s a very eina injury, glad the prognoses and recovery time is positive. 

As mentioned already, do your rehab  :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...

On Monday i was given the all clear by the surgeon and my physio to start spinning slowly and easily . Wednesday to the date was 5 weeks from the horrid op . Ive had good days , bad days , sleepless nights , painful twists and turns when not thinking about a movement ( thinking I'm bullet proof ) Getting frustrated at my own in ability to put my socks on or even worse my jocks . One thing i did do religiously is the suggested rehab exercise's and rest periods ( when tired go lie down for a few minutes , this sometimes turned into a two hour siesta with my favorite cat next to  me , she thought she was in heaven  )and of course pissing my wife off at the same time .  The exercise's you are given to do are painful in the beginning but as your strength returns  and pain levels subside  you begin to understand the reason   why . I started spinning on Tuesday at a leisurely rate of between 60 and 70 rpm with no resistance for one hour  . HR never got over 85 . Wednesday i did same but increased my HR ( sinning faster ) to just over 100 . Today i did same and ended with a average HR of 86 for my one hour ride . . Worst of all was the pain in my butt cheek bones from being off a bike for 5 weeks . Ill be doing this daily untill the 31st Oct and Sunday 1st Nov im going for very slow and cautious ride on my MTB around my area for an hour to get the feel of how it will be actually riding my bike again .So far I've done everthing according to the book ( if there is one ) and so far I'm on track with my own timing and aspirations . Im  not sure how long it will be before im back to my 30 kph ave for a 40 km plus ride but as soon as i hit that milestone ill give feed back on how it went and if i had any problems getting there . Im sure im not the only cyclist coming back from hip replacement surgery but im updating this thread for future readers going through the same . Guys like one of the other hubbers commented " do the rehab and dont be a hero " . . 

On Monday i was given the all clear by the surgeon and my physio to start spinning slowly and easily . Wednesday to the date was 5 weeks from the horrid op . Ive had good days , bad days , sleepless nights , painful twists and turns when not thinking about a movement ( thinking I'm bullet proof ) Getting frustrated at my own in ability to put my socks on or even worse my jocks . One thing i did do religiously is the suggested rehab exercise's and rest periods ( when tired go lie down for a few minutes , this sometimes turned into a two hour siesta with my favorite cat next to me , she thought she was in heaven )and of course pissing my wife off at the same time . The exercise's you are given to do are painful in the beginning but as your strength returns and pain levels subside you begin to understand the reason why . I started spinning on Tuesday at a leisurely rate of between 60 and 70 rpm with no resistance for one hour . HR never got over 85 . Wednesday i did same but increased my HR ( sinning faster ) to just over 100 . Today i did same and ended with a average HR of 86 for my one hour ride . . Worst of all was the pain in my butt cheek bones from being off a bike for 5 weeks . Ill be doing this daily untill the 31st Oct and Sunday 1st Nov im going for very slow and cautious ride on my MTB around my area for an hour to get the feel of how it will be actually riding my bike again .So far I've done everthing according to the book ( if there is one ) and so far I'm on track with my own timing and aspirations . Im not sure how long it will be before im back to my 30 kph ave for a 40 km plus ride but as soon as i hit that milestone ill give feed back on how it went and if i had any problems getting there . Im sure im not the only cyclist coming back from hip replacement surgery but im updating this thread for future readers going through the same . Guys like one of the other hubbers commented " do the rehab and dont be a hero " . .

Nice post, good to see your progress.

You need those 2 hour naps. Your body is still recovering and it saps you so much more than you realise.

Are you still taking pain meds?

I am happy for your cat. Post a pic of him / her.

I know you’re not gonna listen, but spinning for an hour every day is too much at 5 weeks.

I know you’re not gonna listen, but spinning for an hour every day is too much at 5 weeks..

Why would you say one hour a day is too much ?

Thanks for asking for a pic of my cat . She was found in a drain at about 3 weeks old ( the size of a big mouse ) but she shea was named Izzy ( after the name of the paramedic that helped catch her ) She is now 12 still small and i call her Granny Mouse . 

post-111826-0-24160300-1603401621_thumb.jpg

Good to hear about your progress FirstV8.  Harryn asked a very important question on whether you take pain medication still.  We had a thread here on the hub about Ibobrufen and training and we had qualified doctors (not google doctors ;) ) saying it is a bad idea to train with it so just check on that.

Other than that I wish a good recovery.  Sounds like you wife is also looking forward to you getting back on the bike :P

My doctor partners have developed a clinical path for certain patients (manageable co-morbidities) that allows for patients to be discharged on the same day as the surgery. This is for full hip or knee replacements and so far this year they have completed 37 patients without any complications. Patients go in early morning and literally walk out on crutches in the afternoon. We are shifting these procedures to day hospitals which is how it's done in the US, 70% of patients are eligible for this type of surgery and it reduces the average hospital stay from the current 4.5 days to a partial day. This saves on cost and it gets the patient out of the hospital and away from the risk of infection and COVID. People are literally back at work within a week. Ground breaking stuff for SA, the sort of thing that will be on Carte Blanche very soon. :thumbup:

My doctor partners have developed a clinical path for certain patients (manageable co-morbidities) that allows for patients to be discharged on the same day as the surgery. This is for full hip or knee replacements and so far this year they have completed 37 patients without any complications. Patients go in early morning and literally walk out on crutches in the afternoon. We are shifting these procedures to day hospitals which is how it's done in the US, 70% of patients are eligible for this type of surgery and it reduces the average hospital stay from the current 4.5 days to a partial day. This saves on cost and it gets the patient out of the hospital and away from the risk of infection and COVID. People are literally back at work within a week. Ground breaking stuff for SA, the sort of thing that will be on Carte Blanche very soon. :thumbup:

I wish I'd had that experience. Went in for a hip labrum repair. Had to learn to work again, and it was all i could do to go to the bathroom on my own, let alone sit upright in a chair.

as for the crutches, I practiced around the house before I had surgery and knew it was going to be a doddle. When I left hospital, I knew I was very very wrong.

Taking my moms experience into account this scares me.

After a week in hospital she came home only to develop life threatening blood clots which saw I us doing a high speed rush from Alberton to Sandton clinic.

I know you’re not gonna listen, but spinning for an hour every day is too much at 5 weeks..

Why would you say one hour a day is too much ?

I meant 1 hour *every* day is too much. The soft tissue is still healing. But I suppose, everyone is different.If you’re not yet feeling elevated pain levels or stiffness, you are prob good for it.

I found the spinning classes I used to go to pre-op were just too much after the replacement. especially the high cadence sprints. I probably went back too early though, and did the 90 min classes, so It could have been a case of too much too soon. Anyway, i have not gone back to spinning, but I spend a bit of time still on the Kikr, so i don’t really miss it.

Your cat is so cute!

Taking my moms experience into account this scares me.

After a week in hospital she came home only to develop life threatening blood clots which saw I us doing a high speed rush from Alberton to Sandton clinic.

This was exactly why the clinical pathway was developed and that's to make sure that a patient is properly assessed to ensure that  a patient that is susceptible to blood clots is identified early on. The patient is subjected to 3 separate checks for this and other potential complications. The current process is flawed in that the anesthetist generally only sees the patient on the day of the op usually a 15 minute cursory check , under this the protocol is to give the anesthetist an opportunity to do a proper pre-op assessment.  The other risk is that blood clots occur because of the lack of movement while lying in a hospital bed. Because there's no drains etc the patient is able to get mobile and prevent clotting.

This was exactly why the clinical pathway was developed and that's to make sure that a patient is properly assessed to ensure that a patient that is susceptible to blood clots is identified early on. The patient is subjected to 3 separate checks for this and other potential complications. The current process is flawed in that the anesthetist generally only sees the patient on the day of the op usually a 15 minute cursory check , under this the protocol is to give the anesthetist an opportunity to do a proper pre-op assessment. The other risk is that blood clots occur because of the lack of movement while lying in a hospital bed. Because there's no drains etc the patient is able to get mobile and prevent clotting.

Fascinating.

My doc’s protocol was that you go to a physician for a full work up 2 weeks pre op, and she clears you. Then you are admitted to hospital the day before surgery, consult Anaethetist immediately upon admission, and immediately start Xarelto injections. Then you start showering with disinfectant. This was 2 years ago. Nothing was left to chance, it was really reassuring.

I am not looking forward to going through the ordeal again, but I will have one day.

You also only get to go home when your wound drainage has stopped.