What makes you want to ride?

Jurgens Smit

hahaha

I ride bikes because bikes are cool. All bikes.

I enjoyed Diesel saying 'It doesn't negatively impact your body like running'... hahahaha Spoken like a true cyclist with bird bones and feathery muscle density!

I ride sans GPS/Strava/HR etc. I also run without that stuff. But I still compete at stuff... Been to a world champs for sport in 2018 and did ok.

I'm the opposite to the OP. I ride because the endorfins keep me happy. I ride because sometimes the waves don't come for weeks and it's also really good recovery after long runs.

I keep my dad bod at bay by not drinking booze and not eating crap. Burning calories is one thing but not eating them is more effective!

OP, if you are addicted to competing, rather spend some time trying to break that addiction. Like all associative crutches the relationship will inevitably become toxic.

But ja... that's just my 2c. What do I know, I don't even strava

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha

I ride bikes because bikes are cool. All bikes.

I enjoyed Diesel saying 'It doesn't negatively impact your body like running'... hahahaha Spoken like a true cyclist with bird bones and feathery muscle density!

I ride sans GPS/Strava/HR etc. I also run without that stuff. But I still compete at stuff... Been to a world champs for sport in 2018 and did ok.

I'm the opposite to the OP. I ride because the endorfins keep me happy. I ride because sometimes the waves don't come for weeks and it's also really good recovery after long runs.

I keep my dad bod at bay by not drinking booze and not eating crap. Burning calories is one thing but not eating them is more effective!

OP, if you are addicted to competing, rather spend some time trying to break that addiction. Like all associative crutches the relationship will inevitably become toxic.

But ja... that's just my 2c. What do I know, I don't even strava

I must agree, the day I got rid of the HRM and forgot my Strava login, was the day I (re)learned how much fun riding bikes, hiking, kayaking, swimming etc actually is.

I also occasional take part in an event still, but very very occasionally, and normally just because it’s an excuse for a weekend away with mates

When i look down and can't see my pp I know I have to ride!

Your hubname and your choice of words when looking down...............uhmm seems very contradictory [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Mail Man , Whats that ? Cant remember last since I have seen one ..... :blink:

We have got a mail lady still doing street postal deliveries in Groot Brakrivier.

Hey All,

I'm considering starting again, but I don't know why I want to. I get competitive and want to push myself to see where my limit is, but the commitment that took while I was doing it just isn't possible for me right now.

I've never found cycling and training fun, for me the racing and trying to see how close to the sharp end of the pack I could get was the fun bit.

And there is your problem.

Simple !!

Don't start again.

Get over yourself first.

If you don't enjoy or love cycling then just don't.

Why would you do that?

BUT

The benefits of cycling is myriad.

Do it for the love of it and the rest will follow.

(65yrs going for argus 30 and an avid mountain goat. Last argus 3h20 come join me)

Edited by porqui

I just need to wake up in the morning and hear traffic, people hooting, sirens, alarms. I drop my kid off at school and see people not actually helping each other anymore, some disregard the rules of the road completely, nobody looking out for each other anymore etc etc.

When I take the bike into the mountains there's is none of that, riders greet each other, warn each other of possible danger's ahead, assist each other during rides.

There's no hooting, there's no road rage, the noice in the mountains is music to my ears and the fresh crisp air in the mornings fills your chest and energise you. The views you appreciate from the top and even the little things you see along the way.

I don't ride on tar and I will never do it as I don't find any fun in it but this is why I ride a bicycle now. To me it also keeps my aggression and violent side in place.

When i look down and can't see my pp I know I have to ride!

I ride until I can hardly see mine anymore. Was very strange the first time it happened [emoji1787].

Thanks so much for everyone who gave their opinions.

TBH I think if I still lived in Paarl the going out just to ride and soak in the views would be my reason for riding. Every time I went down for the CTCT and stayed in Paarl the views of the mountains and whatnot are just incredible.

Unfortunately I live in Centurion at the moment and I don't feel safe to ride on the roads here be it solo or in groups so I used to drive out to SBR or the Cradle for my long rides for the safety factor. That along with time is the big reason the IDT is my go to. Honestly, Gauteng is a very meh place in terms of beauty factor. For me at least.

I think what I'm going to do is like Wayne suggested, get some cheap gear to get back into it. And as some other posters suggested start with small, achievable goals. I mean before I can even dream of "racing" a 100Km race I first need to do a 100Km ride. If its not for me, lesson learnt and I'll find something else.

I'll try to keep it chill and relaxed and just enjoy the ride, unfortunately for me personally I thrive of off (mostly healthy) competition. While the events are still picking up in SA I'll look into Zwift for a start.

I know I'll never be the next Froome or whomever your version of cycling's greatest is. I just want to be the best I can be.

Thanks again :)

TBH I think if I still lived in Paarl the going out just to ride and soak in the views would be my reason for riding. Every time I went down for the CTCT and stayed in Paarl the views of the mountains and whatnot are just incredible.

Unfortunately I live in Centurion at the moment and I don't feel safe to ride on the roads here be it solo or in groups so I used to drive out to SBR or the Cradle for my long rides for the safety factor. That along with time is the big reason the IDT is my go to. Honestly, Gauteng is a very meh place in terms of beauty factor. For me at least.

I think what I'm going to do is like Wayne suggested, get some cheap gear to get back into it. And as some other posters suggested start with small, achievable goals. I mean before I can even dream of "racing" a 100Km race I first need to do a 100Km ride. If its not for me, lesson learnt and I'll find something else.

I'll try to keep it chill and relaxed and just enjoy the ride, unfortunately for me personally I thrive of off (mostly healthy) competition. While the events are still picking up in SA I'll look into Zwift for a start.

I know I'll never be the next Froome or whomever your version of cycling's greatest is. I just want to be the best I can be.

nothing wrong with striving to be the best you that you can be, as long as its enjoyable.

If it stops becoming enjoyable then you need to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Seems you also need to get over the “fear factor” of riding on the roads. If I had to continually look over my should in fear of what’s behind, then I’d never go out.

While I don’t know Centurion too well, the heat map would indicate that there are plenty routes to follow. Perhaps some local Hubbers can tell you where to ride and where not.

Seems you also need to get over the “fear factor” of riding on the roads. If I had to continually look over my should in fear of what’s behind, then I’d never go out.

While I don’t know Centurion too well, the heat map would indicate that there are plenty routes to follow. Perhaps some local Hubbers can tell you where to ride and where not.

It would probably be better to get over it yes.

Just hit a little close to home when a good mate's dad was knocked down in a hit and run on his morning ride and passed away due to it.

When I do start I think I'll try and find a club nearby that will take me, to get into a large group and see how it goes from there.

Jurgens, this is a nice thread, thanks!
It is great to hear everyones' motivation.

Good luck with starting again.

I also think Zwift racing might be just your thing!

I ride because I enjoy it and for my health - mental and physical.

If I don't exercise, I become grumpy (and fat).
If I am irritated, my wife will quickly say: I think you must go for a ride. 

Your hubname and your choice of words when looking down...............uhmm seems very contradictory [emoji1787][emoji1787]

hehehehehe ... remember its not about the crank length... its all about the motion of the pedal stroke !

:D - the struggle is real!