Excessive chain wear. Replacement due at 1000km

DR ◣◢

I got way better out of the original KMC 11 speed chain on my bike - around 4k km before I decided to change it at .75 using the same gauge as you. I have a bargain basement SRAM chain on the bike now and after 1000 km or so its not even at .5. To add insult to injury I don't ever wash my chains thoroughly and simply wipe them down periodically with a towelling rag and add wax lube if they're dry.

Same here. But I dont even get close to a 1000km on a kmc chain. Cheap Sram chains last long

I even tried a hollow pin chain and that lasted about 4 months before the pin let go recently. Back to the cheap sram chain.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. But I dont even get close to a 1000km on a kmc chain. Cheap Sram chains last long

I even tried a hollow pin chain and that lasted about 4 months before the pin let go recently. Back to the cheap sram chain.

Good to know. I’ll order a SRAM chain and look back on this KMC as school fees.

According to Strava the bike has done 664.6km since the build was completed 3 July.

The main issue these days when people talk about chain ware is that 90% of the peeps keep their bikes in bubble wrap and they never ride where an MYB is supposed to be ridden. Once you do you see that wear is still what it always was.

I use to get (9 and 10 Speed 3 and 2x) 1,000 to 1,500km on a chain if lucky. then prices went up and tech got "better" but actually we ended up with more golfers riding on gravel and the roads so chain ware went down.

Just a thought ....

STRAVA, Garmin Connect, etc. all make it very easy to keep track of the actual distance and time .... no more guessing and adjusting numbers to suit an agenda.

The big difference, no computer can log, .... riding conditions .... a few days of mud fest on a big event will add a LOT more wear than riding trails on good days only.

From the looks of it the XX1 or X01 won't be compatible. Hard to say as I can't find much online about it. 

The cassette is the Sunrace MZ903 or MZ800 (hard to say as the site I bought it from has conflicting model numbers in the description)

Would it be best to stick to a Shimano chain? 

Not sure if this is normal on 12spd KMC chains but according to my Park CC-3.2 i’m at 0.5% but not close to 0.75% yet.

Look like a replacement is due at 0.5 to save the rest of the drivetrain from premature death.

The SO’s bike running a SRAM chain isn’t close to 0.5 yet after the same kms done. I put down more power than what she does so I guess it is to be expected.

Chains are scrubbed clean with soapy water and lubed once a week with dry lube. I hate a dirty gunked up chain full of dirt. I avoid the grinding paste as far as possible.

Won’t lie, i’m very disappointed. 1000km... ouch

I had the same. TAYA also don't last. They sure do look pretty though. Even the SRAM GX chain outlasts KMC and TAYA 12 speed chains.

Geez, and I thought the GX eagle wear was bad at around 2500km to 0.75 wear mark. Will definitely stay clear of the kmc 12 speed.

I am using the kmc x11 on my road bike, with quite “normal wear” though.

in the 11 speed chain market the Wipperman has always served me well. They last and I like that the link can be reused several times.

They only recently added the 12SO chain to the lineup so I've never tried it. I'mhappy with the XX1 at the price point. I replace a chain once a year with the XX1.

thats a comparison of 11 speed chains...

we're talking 12 speed here.

True, although SRAM and Shimano lifted their game on 12sp, the Connex chains should still be better.  Since they only recently added 12sp to the range, this test is not yet available for 12sp, not that I can find anyway.

Edit:  I just saw the only 12 speed chain out yet (12SO similar as 11SO) is about half as good as the 11SX.  Have to wait for a "12SX" before it will be the best chain available.

Edited by Theog

As a matter of interest, how many zar's is this fancy chain in question?

Only R926 on Chain Reaction ...   :D  (11SX)

Edited by Theog

Only R926 on Chain Reaction ...   :D  (11SX)

That's ridiculous if it only lasts a few hundred km.

At least when I spend the money on Campag Record bits, they last a fair while.

I think we got out wires crossed, I'm talking Wippermann Connex, DR started the post on KMC 12sp chain, don't know what that cost.

Edit:  Look like about R650 depending on exact "model".

Edited by Theog