Excessive chain wear. Replacement due at 1000km

DR ◣◢

But it will present you with a new ocd inducing ‘problem’. Eventually the black will wear through where it contacts the cassette...especially on the ‘back’ side as it climbs the gears. To a kesser extent the front, but it will. And the rollers literally only stay covered for the first ride lol.

Haha. It will be close enough. So far the Sunrace cassette is not wearing down to bare metal yet. The SO's NX cassette is wearing quite a bit though. Doesn't look too great haha. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im currently on 5748km same chain same cassette - Sram GX 

Only use Squirt lube always applied the night before so it dries properly. wash and dry off chain with just normal car wash liquid after rides. Will clean in paraffin if the ride was muddy or very dusty.     

Also, for those with double chain-rings(road-bikes), stay on the larger chainring for longer .... the torque on the chain is less on larger sprockets.

Sitting in 39T front and 11T rear, when you could be in 53T front - 15T rear, saves your chain and rear sprockets, as the torque is much less in the chain-pin-rollers (and sprocket) over larger gears.

What annoys me more about this industry is that i can buy a ‘modern’ 7 speed KMC chain for my vintage roadie in exactly the same packaging as a 12speed ones, with a quick link and all...for literally 1/10th of the price @ R150. It will last longer too....

im currently on 5748km same chain same cassette - Sram GX 

Only use Squirt lube always applied the night before so it dries properly. wash and dry off chain with just normal car wash liquid after rides. Will clean in paraffin if the ride was muddy or very dusty.     

This is pretty much how i also do it. My 1st two GX Eagle setups got 9000km+ with a new chain at 2500 to 3000km. I don't degrease at all, just brush clean and lube with Squirt.

My LBS advised me not to change the chain on my new GX drivetrain and to just ride it to the end and then replace it all together. 

... just ride it to the end and then replace it all together. 

That is what I did with my old 9spd XT cassette and XTR chain. Just measured it now and it is at 0.75 with a little fiddling to get the gauge in. This after about 8000km over 8 years.

That setup never skipped a beat. 

This is pretty much how i also do it. My 1st two GX Eagle setups got 9000km+ with a new chain at 2500 to 3000km. I don't degrease at all, just brush clean and lube with Squirt.

My LBS advised me not to change the chain on my new GX drivetrain and to just ride it to the end and then replace it all together. 

will be interesting to see what k's i eventually get without changing anything

Once you Wash Out the "Factory Lube" between the Pin, Roller, and Side Plates the Chain Will Never Last Long. If you Break/Cut a Brand New Chain you can see and feel this Lube.

From Merida Factory Manual

From time to time the dirt and oil needs to be cleaned off your chain with an oily rag (a). Special degreasers are not necessary; they even have a damaging effect.

Having cleaned the chain as thoroughly as possible, apply chain oil, wax or grease (b) to the chain links. To lubricate the chain drip the lubricant onto the rollers of the lower run of the chain while you turn the crank. Once this is done, turn the cranks a few more times; then let the MERIDA pedelec rest for a few minutes so that the lubricant can disperse. Finally wipe off excess lubricant with a rag so that it does not spatter around during riding or can collect road dirt.

Once you Wash Out the "Factory Lube" between the Pin, Roller, and Side Plates the Chain Will Never Last Long. If you Break/Cut a Brand New Chain you can see and feel this Lube.

From Merida Factory Manual

From time to time the dirt and oil needs to be cleaned off your chain with an oily rag (a). Special degreasers are not necessary; they even have a damaging effect.

Having cleaned the chain as thoroughly as possible, apply chain oil, wax or grease (b) to the chain links. To lubricate the chain drip the lubricant onto the rollers of the lower run of the chain while you turn the crank. Once this is done, turn the cranks a few more times; then let the MERIDA pedelec rest for a few minutes so that the lubricant can disperse. Finally wipe off excess lubricant with a rag so that it does not spatter around during riding or can collect road dirt.

Wait, so Merida are confirming that the skinny one from GCN who cleans his chain with Q20 has been right all along?

I sometimes use Petrol and 2 stroke mix when my weedeater fuel goes off. Petrol evaporates and leaves the two stroke oil behind with the heavier naphtha from the petrol. 

There's so many techniques that work we really spend too much time overthinking this and theres the snake oil guys with their high tech space lubes made in a basement in the shire

I sometimes use Petrol and 2 stroke mix when my weedeater fuel goes off. Petrol evaporates and leaves the two stroke oil behind with the heavier naphtha from the petrol. 

we used to do similar to our boat engines to protect them a little more from the salt water.

4500km on my chain so far , cannot detect any wear as yet.. never been washed (not even factory lube removed) , dry lubed when it starts to squeak..

dunno, maybe I don't produce enough power to wear them out  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

4500km on my chain so far , cannot detect any wear as yet.. never been washed (not even factory lube removed) , dry lubed when it starts to squeak..

dunno, maybe I don't produce enough power to wear them out  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Nah, yours - like mine....just likes it dirty

dunno, maybe I don't produce enough power to wear them out [emoji107] [emoji107]

Think I should give it a go.... No cleaning or at least not the levels I am currently doing so.

Question, does not cleaning the chain and just lubing not affect shifting? I assume you at least scrub or scrap off the gunk/dirt?

Edited by Wimmas

Question, does not cleaning the chain and just lubing not affect shifting? I assume you at least scrub or scrap off the gunk/dirt?

Use Q20 for that. Then wax lube after it's clean.