Discovery Vitality Bike Booster

JBK

Do the maths its just another one of the clever misleading tricks we all chase only to lose in the end. 

JBK is right. Once you use this benefit "you can't get it on specials"  - best to rather negotiate a better deal or buy a "on special'  you save much more without the pain and suffering.

Thanks for calling it mathS. As you were..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vitality is about getting people active. so it is aimed at the new person wanting to get healthy or into fitness. So is aimed at those who will likely purchase a bike for the first time (or proper running shoes). They will be looking in the range R8-15k, in which case for those starting out in cycling a 25% saving will be worth it.

Vitality is not aimed at the serious cyclist or weekend warrior who is looking to upgrade and score a deal. Hence why there is a limit and is clear in the T&C's, same as for the device booster.

Uhm ... not sure I can agree with this post ....

Vitalty works for serious athletes ... the rest of us mere mortals dont make the regular targets .... and wont ever realise that 25% saving.

Yes, Vitalty started out to encourage the general public to get active .... very soon afterwards it became about rewarding serious athletes, and nothing for those that got off the couch but could not juggle work, life and daily exercise ....

Now it rewards athletes for doing what they would have done in any case .... with no real reward for casual riders ....

2018/2019 a number of our younger staff went the Vitality route ... running, cycling, gym, movies .... buying Apple watches ... 6 months later the reality set in .... by end 2019 none renewed their Vitality. ....

Uhm ... not sure I can agree with this post ....

Vitalty works for serious athletes ... the rest of us mere mortals dont make the regular targets .... and wont ever realise that 25% saving.

Yes, Vitalty started out to encourage the general public to get active .... very soon afterwards it became about rewarding serious athletes, and nothing for those that got off the couch but could not juggle work, life and daily exercise ....

Now it rewards athletes for doing what they would have done in any case .... with no real reward for casual riders ....

2018/2019 a number of our younger staff went the Vitality route ... running, cycling, gym, movies .... buying Apple watches ... 6 months later the reality set in .... by end 2019 none renewed their Vitality. ....

We will agree to disagree, there marketing is to get people to live a healthier lifestyle and join the Vitality family.

Athletes who do it day in day out will be doing it anyway and know without even thinking they will make their goals, for them being part of Discovery, Vitality is just a bonus!

If you believe there are no real rewards, then you do not understand the system or work it to your advantage. Too many say it is a PIA to jump through all the hoops, in reality it is not provided you record all workouts or steps and ensure there is heart rate data and it all syncs to Vitality. It is not a difficult system to work to your advantage even if you are coming from a couch!

Even when it was 900 points a week, that was 2 workouts a week and a park run/walk, all recorded with a heart rate monitor. So is aimed at those on a couch to go and live a healthier lifestyle with 3 x 30 min workouts and then stick to it to keep getting tbe rewards. Those that fail after 6 months are those who liked the idea of the rewards but without doing the work, am generalizing a bit, but are probably the same who start diets and cannot keep to it.Those will likely fail anyway!

As for casual riders, riding once on a weekend is not living a healthier lifestyle in Vitality's eyes, hence why they want you to workout 3 times a week. Not really difficult to do, but a lot easy to have reasons of why cannot achieve it.

My understanding vitality are very happy with the uptake of people who are on the vitality program and living a healthy lifestyle.

We will agree to disagree, there marketing is to get people to live a healthier lifestyle and join the Vitality family.

Athletes who do it day in day out will be doing it anyway and know without even thinking they will make their goals, for them being part of Discovery, Vitality is just a bonus!

If you believe there are no real rewards, then you do not understand the system or work it to your advantage. Too many say it is a PIA to jump through all the hoops, in reality it is not provided you record all workouts or steps and ensure there is heart rate data and it all syncs to Vitality. It is not a difficult system to work to your advantage even if you are coming from a couch!

Even when it was 900 points a week, that was 2 workouts a week and a park run/walk, all recorded with a heart rate monitor. So is aimed at those on a couch to go and live a healthier lifestyle with 3 x 30 min workouts and then stick to it to keep getting tbe rewards. Those that fail after 6 months are those who liked the idea of the rewards but without doing the work, am generalizing a bit, but are probably the same who start diets and cannot keep to it.Those will likely fail anyway!

As for casual riders, riding once on a weekend is not living a healthier lifestyle in Vitality's eyes, hence why they want you to workout 3 times a week. Not really difficult to do, but a lot easy to have reasons of why cannot achieve it.

My understanding vitality are very happy with the uptake of people who are on the vitality program and living a healthy lifestyle.

I wonder how many millennials have given up Vitality as they're on to the next thing, vs. older generations that are simply too lazy to "workout" to get 600 points?

BTW, what is the current weekly target for the endurance option?

I wonder how many millennials have given up Vitality as they're on to the next thing, vs. older generations that are simply too lazy to "workout" to get 600 points?

You are probably right!

As for endurance, do they still have it after dropping points right down during lockdown? If they have, I dont know. Am currently on the normal which is 600 and that is done by a ride on Saturday and a run on Sunday.

You are probably right!

As for endurance, do they still have it after dropping points right down during lockdown? If they have, I dont know. Am currently on the normal which is 600 and that is done by a ride on Saturday and a run on Sunday.

Sorry, I assumed you were on the endurance option.

Endurance was never an option, even back then when vitality started. Too difficut to achieve when ill or injured.

Hiehie ....

All those at our office that did the Vitality thing are millenials .... :)

And us ou toppies practice as and when we can .... project deadlines and a host of other excuses for not staying with the vitalty regime ....

Jokes aside ... Discovery and Vitality pioneered the concept of healthy living .... many have benefitted from this

Endurance was never an option, even back then when vitality started. Too difficut to achieve when ill or injured.

So, we're effectively doing the same thing. Need to remember that.

I've been on the endurance option from the start.

Not sure what the goal is, dont bother checking as I meet it with ease.

The app is not loading active rewards at the moment, will check tomorrow.

I'm on 650 at the moment, endurance option, down from 1200 pre lockdown.

Pretty weird that they haven't raised it yet given that I can still get 600 points for a single 3hr+ ride (or 2hrs @ 70% of max HR)

What would work for regular or more serious cyclists is if you could build up the discount over 3 years, instead getting it paid out over 3 years. To be honest getting out just over R100 per month is not going to change my life or entyce me. That money will just get lost in my account and serve no purpose.

If I could build it up over 3 years, I can plan for an upgrade or new bike and wait for Black Friday or a proper sale to purchase, then the discount will feel like it is worth it to me, getting it all at once.

Strange comment, I recommend to all my mates to go the endurance option. If you are doing 2 to 3hr+ ride 2 or3 times a week, that is the way to go. Who ride for less than 2,5hrs at a time on weekends anyway? 

I can honestly say that Vitality has worked for me. I joined January 2016 and have not missed a goal since and I don't plan too. I have received 3 apple watches and 2 shoe boosters. Also, the refund on the gym membership. To set 30 minutes aside to do a quick workout is not that hard and running always gets the heart rate way over the required 80%. 

I'm using the endurance option purely because of a low heart rate and currently it's at 650 points. 

It seems to have changed to 650 this week.

***Edit: added point increase***

Edited by TheBritishTwit

Strange comment, I recommend to all my mates to go the endurance option. If you are doing 2 to 3hr+ ride 2 or3 times a week, that is the way to go. Who ride for less than 2,5hrs at a time on weekends anyway? 

and mid week intervals also make it easy to get the points. But as you say, 2 weekend rides and goal is achieved.