Car has roof rails. What do I need to put my bike on roof?

sunchaser

Hyundai H1 is also worth a look ....

Another vehicle that is totally under-rated is the Kia Grand Sedona .... looks small, but friends of ours that do Ironman went this route ....   though clearly not the same space as a MB V250 ....  May just be an option for those wanting space, without buying a "bus" ....

But then you have to drive a Kia...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With you on this, also prefer the roof rack for longer trips and dirt. I think my Thule platform rack is a bit outdated and maybe was designed for 26ers as it is a pain to fit more than one bike without elaborate planning and hard to avoid scratching the bikes, also the wheels are not as secure as I would like.

But I guess for all round convenience the platform rack is still the best, would start off with that and later add the roof rack when you have to tow a trailer and cannot use the platform. 

Thats why I said, these are made for road bikes in my opinion.

On long trips, I take a ratchet strap and secure the bikes with them. Hook on the back part of the platform, over the bike(s) around the top tube and then onto the front of the paltform. Just ratchet enough so that the bikes are secure. You dont need to over do this bit. You bike wont budge.

On long trips, I take a ratchet strap and secure the bikes with them. Hook on the back part of the platform, over the bike(s) around the top tube and then onto the front of the paltform. Just ratchet enough so that the bikes are secure. You dont need to over do this bit. You bike wont budge.

With you on this.... 

I sometimes think I should have pursued a career in truck hauling or something that involves tie downs and straps and stuff.... Another activity comes to mind but that's a new thread altogether. 

With you on this, also prefer the roof rack for longer trips and dirt. I think my Thule platform rack is a bit outdated and maybe was designed for 26ers as it is a pain to fit more than one bike without elaborate planning and hard to avoid scratching the bikes, also the wheels are not as secure as I would like.

But I guess for all round convenience the platform rack is still the best, would start off with that and later add the roof rack when you have to tow a trailer and cannot use the platform. 

My Thule platform rack is about three years old, thus the current dimensions .... NO, you still cant fit three bikes on a three bike rack .... you need lots of rags and pool noodles to prevent bikes scratching each other ....

My Thule platform rack is about three years old, thus the current dimensions .... NO, you still cant fit three bikes on a three bike rack .... you need lots of rags and pool noodles to prevent bikes scratching each other ....

With you on this.... 

I sometimes think I should have pursued a career in truck hauling or something that involves tie downs and straps and stuff.... Another activity comes to mind but that's a new thread altogether. 

This is the part of the roof rack that I like - just put on the bike, pull the levers and go - setup doesn't have to resemble a concentration camp to be 100% secure