Car has roof rails. What do I need to put my bike on roof?

sunchaser

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just moved over to the roof rack thingy recently. 

I've had towbars all my life (I only buy cars with towbars) and because of the trailer the bike rack stayed at home. Then the daughters wanted to take their bikes with when we went away. I had the bike rack on the trailer which worked out nicely. Not sure if I'll put all 4 bikes on the trailer because it's a fiberglass trailer. 

I used an old school Holdfast which uses the base plate but hooking the trailer with the bikes or getting the bikes on when the trailer is on already is a mission. 

I'm looking for another dark grey Holdfast Top Runner to match my otherone and then I'll be good to go. Currently run two bikes on the towbar and two on the roof. 

That bridge is 2.5m high.

Bikes on the Thule roof rack on a RAV4 (slightly higher than a car, but lower than most SUV's) .... this combination is 3m tall.

Most small delivery trucks are taller than this.

These trucks "prune" the trees a nice square ... with bikes passing under this.

In residential areas, with minimal truck movement, the trees are MUCH lower ... you do hit these low hanging branches .... ended up pruning a neighbours tree with a chainsae a few home down the road ...

Bikes stay MUCH cleaner on the roof rack than on a towbar mounted platform rack.

Insurance .... IRKS me to read of the thefts of bikes from Thule racks !!! Ended up getting a vehicle where we can put the bikes inside ....

I still think platform / towbar solutions are the best, something like this with the 4th rail is a really good solution, probably the best IMO:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/bike-racks/439724/thule-velocompact-4-bike

Too many meme's to consider roof racks.

Owning both, I prefered the roofrack for longer trips, and any trip including dirt roads. Local, tar, trips the platform rack is just so much more convenient !!

Now we transport the bikes inside the vehicle 99% of the time .... not worrying about theft is so nice :)

I still think platform / towbar solutions are the best, something like this with the 4th rail is a really good solution, probably the best IMO:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/bike-racks/439724/thule-velocompact-4-bike

Too many meme's to consider roof racks.

Was all for this but if you taking the "lang pad" and "pulling" the Ventertjie then you don't have the option of the bikes...  This was my dilemma and why I ended up going for the roof mounted option.  

Owning both, I prefered the roofrack for longer trips, and any trip including dirt roads. Local, tar, trips the platform rack is just so much more convenient !!

Now we transport the bikes inside the vehicle 99% of the time .... not worrying about theft is so nice :)

This is where im at now too - vehicle upgrade time and looking at the Caravelle or the MB V250. No doubt keeping the bikes in the van, with ample seats and packing is the most "contained" way to go. Ive also seen some really neat conversions inside the van to lock the bikes in place with cannibalised Thule grips.

I also have had both. Roof racks work well on a car, but the moment you move to something like a cross over, suv type thing then it is highish to lift the bike up. When you tired after a long ride......

The platform racks work but a 2 bike is hardly big enough for 2 mountain bikes. Thule racks and most if not all available here are suited to roadbikes.

We need dedicated mtb racks, like the northshore rack and similar

This is where im at now too - vehicle upgrade time and looking at the Caravelle or the MB V250. No doubt keeping the bikes in the van, with ample seats and packing is the most "contained" way to go. Ive also seen some really neat conversions inside the van to lock the bikes in place with cannibalised Thule grips.

Hyundai H1 is also worth a look ....

Another vehicle that is totally under-rated is the Kia Grand Sedona .... looks small, but friends of ours that do Ironman went this route ....   though clearly not the same space as a MB V250 ....  May just be an option for those wanting space, without buying a "bus" ....

I also have had both. Roof racks work well on a car, but the moment you move to something like a cross over, suv type thing then it is highish to lift the bike up. When you tired after a long ride......

The platform racks work but a 2 bike is hardly big enough for 2 mountain bikes. Thule racks and most if not all available here are suited to roadbikes.

We need dedicated mtb racks, like the northshore rack and similar

And if you are vertically challenged, like me, then you need a 2-step ladder to load the bikes onto those roof racks .....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Yep, a van is a better option.

Roofracks for bikes work on sedans.

But can tend to be mission to load on if roofracks on a SUV, unless you tall and your bike weighs 9kgs lol

Roofracks for bikes work on sedans.

But can tend to be mission to load on if roofracks on a SUV, unless you tall and your bike weighs 9kgs lol

Friday fake news. Who rides bikes heavier than 9kg???

Bikes on the Thule roof rack on a RAV4 (slightly higher than a car, but lower than most SUV's) .... this combination is 3m tall.

Most small delivery trucks are taller than this.

These trucks "prune" the trees a nice square ... with bikes passing under this.

In residential areas, with minimal truck movement, the trees are MUCH lower ... you do hit these low hanging branches .... ended up pruning a neighbours tree with a chainsae a few home down the road ...

Bikes stay MUCH cleaner on the roof rack than on a towbar mounted platform rack.

Insurance .... IRKS me to read of the thefts of bikes from Thule racks !!! Ended up getting a vehicle where we can put the bikes inside ....

I know on certain thule platform racks you can lock them, but if you just push down hard on the knob and unscrew you can release the clamps that hold the bike. 

With you on this, also prefer the roof rack for longer trips and dirt. I think my Thule platform rack is a bit outdated and maybe was designed for 26ers as it is a pain to fit more than one bike without elaborate planning and hard to avoid scratching the bikes, also the wheels are not as secure as I would like.

But I guess for all round convenience the platform rack is still the best, would start off with that and later add the roof rack when you have to tow a trailer and cannot use the platform.