Best Pretoria Trail in Wet Weather

thinusjvrs

Good morning.

Looking for a trail in Pretoria to ride during wet weather.

Trail recommendations based on soil type and drainage conducive to wet weather is much appreciate.

Where do you ride when it rains?

But.....but......why?

The amount of damage to equipment going to the mud......

Unless you are a pro training for Europe.  Otherwise.........

Stay at home.  Enjoy the rain.

Good morning.

Trail recommendations based on soil type and drainage conducive to wet weather is much appreciate.

Hmm - riding off road in the muddy conditions destroys the trail and if muddy enough will destroy your bike as well as your brakes, which costs money. believe me - stay home and ride the trainer or go to the gym. Van Gaalens if for example closed owing to this exact reason.

Good morning.

There are some great rocky routes on the Magaliesberg that sits between Montana and Rietfontein/Villieria.

Enter at the access gate next to John Vorster Technical Highschool, map is on display. Entry is free. Alternatively enter next to Wonderboom High School.

One of the sections you can ride: https://www.strava.com/segments/19137339

You're welcome

post-27827-0-88538800-1607940282_thumb.jpeg

post-27827-0-95266500-1607940397_thumb.jpeg

Good morning.

Not at a trail, but rather just gravel highways out East. Most of these are fine to ride, some water, but ride around it.

Would agree with what is said above, prefer to be off the trail due to the damage to bike and trail.

I'm 100% behind staying off of trails that aren't well drained or get damaged when riding while wet. My local trail still has some awful sections due to dirtbikes riding through, and doing burnouts in, mud patches. Once dried they're basically unrideable for mtbs.

What I don't get though is why everyone's so scared of  water and mud. Getting super muddy, crossing streams, wading through mud bogs... all super fun! Maybe its because I ride a hardtail (partly why I ride a hardtail I guess) but I've ridden my bike through some apocalyptic dirt and it has never needed more than a good clean and a 1hr hub / freewheel clean and regrease.

Modderfontein actually wasn't bad when we were there last week after some heavy rains. Seemed to drain well and little to no damage seen or caused by us. Otherwise your best bet is gravel out Bapsfontein way or "fibre singletrack" as I call it. When they converted our suburbs to fibre the covered trenches resulted in dirt walking paths, which can be super fun to ride at speed.

I'm 100% behind staying off of trails that aren't well drained or get damaged when riding while wet. My local trail still has some awful sections due to dirtbikes riding through, and doing burnouts in, mud patches. Once dried they're basically unrideable for mtbs.

What I don't get though is why everyone's so scared of  water and mud. Getting super muddy, crossing streams, wading through mud bogs... all super fun! Maybe its because I ride a hardtail (partly why I ride a hardtail I guess) but I've ridden my bike through some apocalyptic dirt and it has never needed more than a good clean and a 1hr hub / freewheel clean and regrease.

Modderfontein actually wasn't bad when we were there last week after some heavy rains. Seemed to drain well and little to no damage seen or caused by us. Otherwise your best bet is gravel out Bapsfontein way or "fibre singletrack" as I call it. When they converted our suburbs to fibre the covered trenches resulted in dirt walking paths, which can be super fun to ride at speed.

I see someone has already posted "not wolwespruit", but i tend to disagree.... Wolwespruit is pretty well drained. I find it very rideable after rain. 

cowhouse is a mudfest, but still fun if you (as you have made clear) dont mind getting dirty.

Then I can also second the Friends of Magalies trails as mentioned above. the Magaliesberg in its nature drains extremely well. Just take it slow on the sections heading back to the gate at Wonderboom, as this part can get muddy, and the drops can become sketchy. - But once you are on top of the mountian, its awesome.

I see someone has already posted "not wolwespruit", but i tend to disagree.... Wolwespruit is pretty well drained. I find it very rideable after rain. 

Definitely not the lower forest section. And like Tyron said, you cause a lot of damage to the trails when they are in this condition.

so take chain lube which attracts dirt, combine with mud and it forms a grinding paste. Ride that for 30 kms and see how well your chains and clusters are doing after that. Never mind what wet muddy conditions do to resin disc pads which literally disintegrate. Put it this way its all fun and mud puddles until you get the repair bills from the shop - clusters - 11 Speed XT cluster now R 2300. Chain R 600. Chainrings - another discussion - R 800. You will chew through those in 60kms, Ask anyone who has done some serious riding in muddy conditions. Never mind BB's. Pivots, wheel bearings etc. It's not like the UK where mud is now the norm for the next 5 months - we have good weather, so just sit it out on the couch. Assuming your exposed gearbox on an MTB is designed to cope with mud is a major mistake.

Then there's the damage to the trails which makes them super rutted and normally need repairs.

Modderfontein is on a slope and well drained except for a few spots.Its fine after the rain although I would say that's the time to hit the road bike

so take chain lube which attracts dirt, combine with mud and it forms a grinding paste. Ride that for 30 kms and see how well your chains and clusters are doing after that. Never mind what wet muddy conditions do to resin disc pads which literally disintegrate. Put it this way its all fun and mud puddles until you get the repair bills from the shop - clusters - 11 Speed XT cluster now R 2300. Chain R 600. Chainrings - another discussion - R 800. You will chew through those in 60kms, Ask anyone who has done some serious riding in muddy conditions. Never mind BB's. Pivots, wheel bearings etc. It's not like the UK where mud is now the norm for the next 5 months - we have good weather, so just sit it out on the couch. Assuming your exposed gearbox on an MTB is designed to cope with mud is a major mistake.

Then there's the damage to the trails which makes them super rutted and normally need repairs.

Agree 100%. My bike is a princess and a trailer queen. I simply don’t ride mud or wet conditions.

Basic maintenance is expensive enough. No need to go looking for repair bills.

I love riding in wet conditions, even though I do agree with all of the above and that is why I generally avoid it, not really because of the bike it is what it is in that regard, more about the trails and just respecting that unspoken rule.

Not at a trail, but rather just gravel highways out East. Most of these are fine to ride, some water, but ride around it.

Would agree with what is said above, prefer to be off the trail due to the damage to bike and trail.

This, go gravel grind, less muddy and less harsh on the gears, also doesn't ruin trails. win win win.