RaceTec Challenge

Jbr

Sorry, but climbing hills for seeding is just stupid

you end with skinny light weights in top groups that never want to sit in the wind and pull. They should have done circular routes that give all round performance.

also, nothing todo with ppa, ractec and ppa is 2 different companies .

We discussed this while riding the challenge route. My guess is that they limited the segments to hills only to eliminate safety issues such as cyclists "racing" on open roads and running traffic lights etc. No intersections on the peninsula route segments.

Of course there's also the motorpacing issue on the flats...

I'm intrigued to hear what your better suggestion would be? Surely some attempt to offer seeding opportunities is preferably to nothing?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We discussed this while riding the challenge route. My guess is that they limited the segments to hills only to eliminate safety issues such as cyclists "racing" on open roads and running traffic lights etc. No intersections on the peninsula route segments.

Of course there's also the motorpacing issue on the flats...

I'm intrigued to hear what your better suggestion would be? Surely some attempt to offer seeding opportunities is preferably to nothing?

Motor pacing on hills is real thing....  not like i would know of course... ...

my suggestion,   Change seeding to what other countries use, our system is way to flawed.  But ive had this rant way to many times.   

Sorry, but climbing hills for seeding is just stupid

you end with skinny light weights in top groups that never want to sit in the wind and pull.   They should have done circular routes that give all round performance.

also, nothing todo with ppa, ractec and ppa is 2 different companies .

It does favour the lighties that can climb, but let's be honest :

- if you weigh 120kg's, your chances of getting an Elite seeding are low anyways.

- there is no other way to get a "fair-ish" competition on Strava, the drafting is minimal up steep climbs. So wether you ride these segments alone or in a group, your time should be similar. If they used the whole route including the flats, people would ride it groups or worse motorpace, and then if would be a lot more unfair than favouring the lighter riders over the heavier riders.

By the looks of things, that seeding might not even be usefull as we don't even know when/if we're going to race again at the moment, I'm only hyped because it looks like it's the only kind of racing I foresee in the near future now that the WP regionals are cancelled and I was told I can't race in Swellendam because I'm not a SA citizen...

Edited by Jbr

Why do you need to have a Premium Strava account? 

What a lot of K@k!!!!

Just pay for the month of January not for a full calendar year.

Also don't they give you a 2 week trial period?

I don’t see anything for GP.

Sorry, where?

;-)

Perhaps try come up with a similar type of route, 60km'ish point to point with 4 hill climbs of at least 1.5km each and gradient 4%+

Then submit to Racetec and ask them to set it up, be interesting to see how they respond.

The effort is in creating new routes now that they've got the Strava integration done & the seeding models setup.

Anyone with some info on why Franschhoek 19 Dec is still not uploaded.
I know very few people did it, but that didn't seem to invalidate Peninsula 20 Dec...

So has anyone done one of the events ? I missed all of it until now because I had other plans. Now I'm waiting to see if the winelands thing is going to happen at all to see if I try to do one of the remaining events. Since I haven't seen a lot of interest for that challenge I'm thinking it might not event count for seeding at all...

Edited by Jbr

So has anyone done one of the events ? I missed all of it until now because I had other plans. Now I'm waiting to see if the winelands thing is going to happen at all to see if I try to do one of the remaining events. Since I haven't seen a lot of interest for that challenge I'm thinking it might not event count for seeding at all...

we have till the 24th to enter / complete one for the designated routes

so there's time.

Also heard today that Kill Arnie may resume after the 14th

we have till the 24th to enter / complete one for the designated routes

so there's time.

Also heard today that Kill Arnie may resume after the 14th

sure there is time, I just don't want to cancel any other (better) plans to commit to this if it's for nothing ;) I'd rather go do a nice MTB ride than go bleed on the durbanville climbs ;)

For Killarney I enquired this morning for the 14th which I doubt is gonna happen, hopefully the other ones after than will happen as planned, I'm sure everyone is very very keen to go racing

Racetec confirmed you can arrive at the start of the first climb, start your Strava activity (be safe and start 300-500m before the actual segment), smash the first climb, pause Strava while you relax and get someone to drive you to the next climb. Un-pause and smash the next climb, pause and relax while being driven to the next segment etc. etc. Climb Pause Drive Repeat
Obviously do some spinning in between to keep the legs warm.

Racetec

Cat1: Climbers with good support
Cat2: Sprinters without support
Cat3: Roy and myself trying not to get dropped by the ladies (no change here)     again

Just pay for the month of January not for a full calendar year.

Also don't they give you a 2 week trial period?

Well only speaking for myself, but trial period dead and buried a longtime ago. Paying a 3rd party to update your seeding seems a bit off to me. Not convinced i should indirectly pay for them to integrate with Strava and have access to riders data.

Mob: How can we keep our seeding up while there are no races?!

Racetec - official seeding for Funrider World Champs: Here is a nifty platform we created, it allows you to keep/get your seeding up while there are no races.

Mob: Pfft, this is pathetic! Now I must pay for seeding?! (Always had to pay for seeding via the races now not being entered)... This platform is full of holes! No one cares, why even bother, people just cheat anyway etc.....

Mob 2 months later: HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KEEP OUR SEEDING UP IF THERE ARE NO RACES?!!!!

Mob: How can we keep our seeding up while there are no races?!

Racetec - official seeding for Funrider World Champs: Here is a nifty platform we created, it allows you to keep/get your seeding up while there are no races.

Mob: Pfft, this is pathetic! Now I must pay for seeding?! (Always had to pay for seeding via the races now not being entered)... This platform is full of holes! No one cares, why even bother, people just cheat anyway etc.....

Mob 2 months later: HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KEEP OUR SEEDING UP IF THERE ARE NO RACES?!!!!

Everyone seeding is penalised by exact same amount..  not sure why people worried about it.

there is no races that use seeding this year either.  So again, who cares.

if you have no seeding when racing start again, do 3-4 and you will be in the group you belong, ja you might have to actually work for it and not just wheel suck to keep your seeding...

Edited by Karman de Lange