Wahoo Kickr Poor Build Quality

DynaplateRocker

You are also paying for software, cloud storage and computing, integration 

I agree with you except for this bit. 99.9% of people pay a monthly subscription to Zwift etc for software.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you except for this bit. 99.9% of people pay a monthly subscription to Zwift etc for software.

But you dont need Zwift, Rouvy Trainerroad, etc to use the trainer.

It can be used using the Wahoo (insert own brand name) fitness app. The fact that a controlable smart trainer was developed, brought to light all the AR and virtual reality training apps.

As a matter of interest, does anyone remember what a Computrainer setup costed back in the day? How hectic it was to set that hing up, with cadence sensors, Heart rate etc linked to a laptop or a pc...

Paying 18k (not sure of the exact number) for a Kickr snap vs R30k (10 years ago) for essentially the same thing does not sit too badly...

So you are paying for a bit of convenience as well.....

Edited by RocknRolla

Hey this is actually a pretty good Friday thread... and bike related as well... what's happening to us.

Now all we need is a personal attack on the guys at ikhambi... and there will be some real momentum here....

But you dont need Zwift, Rouvy Trainerroad, etc to use the trainer.

It can be used using the Wahoo (insert own brand name) fitness app. The fact that a controlable smart trainer was developed, brought to light all the AR and virtual reality training apps.

Fair.

If you look at the technology you get and the room they take up vs a treadmill or rower I think smart trainers are a bit of a bargain TBH.

I spent R28750 on my entire trainer setup. This includes trainer, bike, pedals, HR strap, and a 27" iMac to run Sufferfest on. This also includes a 12 month Sufferfest subscription. Entire setup takes up about 2sqm in my study.

This works for me because I don't feel safe on the road riding in the neighbourhoods and driving out to the cradle to train costs a bit in petrol and takes at least an hour to get there. I also don't trust them skinny wheels at speed :D 

The convenience of being able to knock out a ride before dinner every day is also a huge plus. Bad weather? No problem either. 

Also... how much is an upper entry / midrange road bike these days? R30k?

As a matter of interest, does anyone remember what a Computrainer setup costed back in the day? How hectic it was to set that hing up, with cadence sensors, Heart rate etc linked to a laptop or a pc...

Paying 18k (not sure of the exact number) for a Kickr snap vs R30k (10 years ago) for essentially the same thing does not sit too badly...

So you are paying for a bit of convenience as well.....

Seeing as someone identified this as our official Friday thread, I'll take a little detour here:

Computrainers are currently way undervalued imho.

I bought one for R2.2k in 2019. It intergrates natively with Zwift, which means zero faffing about with Computrainer software. A single roll-down after a couple minutes of warm-up and you are on your way.

Still rock solid. Talk about something that will last a lifetime. I'll be hard pressed to replace it with anything new on the market today, all I'll gain is not having to do the roll-down. I'm not there yet. 

Is being a Mech engineer like riding SS or doing crossfit, or being vegan

I would hate to know what you think is in a mtb. certainly not R150k in a top end bike.

Also mech engineers don't know it all. You are also paying for software, cloud storage and computing, integration among multiple platforms and a lot more than just what is in the machine.

Personally, my gen 1 kickr gets hammered, and I mean hammered. I have done 8 hour rides through the night, in lockdown we both hammered it 1-2 times a day. We have extra  waterproof on the bottom bracket and steering on the trainer dedicated bike because we have had sweat get in and corrode them. But the gen 1 kickr is still 100%, yes it gets cleaned(sensors, vents, belts, seals etc every now and then. 

Yes i would agree, but top end MTB's have a good build quality (Well at least most do) and nowhere near the warranty rate of Wahoo. As Mech Eng's we don't only have knowledge of all things technical, we also have a good understanding of R&D as well as the associated costs and expected return on investment.

As a customer I fully appreciate that i'm not only paying for the product but the R&D and after sales support as well, so initially would not bash the price of a product that i already invested in. However when that product fails on me I need to consider, is it the technology ? or is it the build ? - There is clearly nothing wrong with the technology of smart trainers, however, for it to work, it needs a precision build, and thats where Wahoo have failed - Their warranty claim rate as a % of units sold is testament to that.

Now everyone will defend Wahoo because their after sales service is on point. But this muddies the water and customers are distracted from the fact that the quality of the product is actually crap. Their after sales service has to be something special or they would go out of business.

Would current Wahoo owners stay with Wahoo on their next smart trainer purchase ? I for one am off to one of their competitors.

Yes i would agree, but top end MTB's have a good build quality (Well at least most do) and nowhere near the warranty rate of Wahoo. As Mech Eng's we don't only have knowledge of all things technical, we also have a good understanding of R&D as well as the associated costs and expected return on investment.

As a customer I fully appreciate that i'm not only paying for the product but the R&D and after sales support as well, so initially would not bash the price of a product that i already invested in. However when that product fails on me I need to consider, is it the technology ? or is it the build ? - There is clearly nothing wrong with the technology of smart trainers, however, for it to work, it needs a precision build, and thats where Wahoo have failed - Their warranty claim rate as a % of units sold is testament to that.

Now everyone will defend Wahoo because their after sales service is on point. But this muddies the water and customers are distracted from the fact that the quality of the product is actually crap. Their after sales service has to be something special or they would go out of business.

Would current Wahoo owners stay with Wahoo on their next smart trainer purchase ? I for one am off to one of their competitors.

Well said you SRAM one!   :lol:

There is still their side development to allow the API integration to allow the likes of ZWIFT to function with their trainers. But ya you don't need zwift/rouvy, but almost all of us do have it.

Fair.

If you look at the technology you get and the room they take up vs a treadmill or rower I think smart trainers are a bit of a bargain TBH.

Don't get me going on treadmills.

If you can actually run then you are screwed and need to buy a commercial grade treadmill(R20k +) with a  3hp minimum continuous rated motor. Otherwise you get a bit overzealous and blow the things up very easily. When you start looking at commercial treadmills all of a sudden wahoo kickr's look cheap and there is often no smart functionality. At least you know with your wahoo you won't be too good at riding to max it out.

You said it was built to a price point which implies the quality had to be lowered in some way to make it viable to sell at whatever crazy price they are these days. I might be completely wrong but I had a look inside a 25k trainer and couldn't see anything more than 4k inside. This may be why the supplier can happily swap out all the broken ones no questions asked. I know my friends are in their 2nd and 4th replacements (although they do hammer them for 10 hours per week)

A price point is just a reference point, nothing to do with cheap.

And sure, maybe the components don’t add up to more than R4k, but there is so much more than just assembly-think off all the R&D. If it was just R4k to make a trainer, why don’t you start a line, undercut wahoo and be set for life?