Is it just me or do we have a major stock problem?

pedal menace

Has anyone recently done some international shopping? I have heard horror stories about stuff taking months to clear customs.  Many international shops package and ship quickly - only for the process to hit an affective dead stop at SA customs.  Making this an VERY risky process to follow. Also did some checking if I were to buy a hardtail at an international shop - the price in general looks OK-ish - but you need to add the following : i) Shop shipping and packaging (usually not free, DHL can be expensive), ii) insurance (yup things do go missing or break, iii)  15% VAT (on top of all previous charges) iv) approx 15% custom duties. This all adds up making the good looking price not so good and then there is the customs clearing risk. Oh - and I think if the price is greater than R50k, you need to bring it in via an agent with an importers license - a bit of a schlep finding one. So is international shopping worth it? 

Edited by pedal menace

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a definite shortage of mainstream parts. 

I've been lucky though finding chains, chainrings, even the illusive Park Tool hammer recently. 

All my "not so mainstream" parts haven't been a problem. 

Bikes though.... I have some friends and family struggling to find anything good in their budget ranges.

Any temporary 3d printed options maybe?

At least Omnico replied to your mails. I mailed them directly as well enquiring about certain products - I am yet to receive feedback (many weeks). Right now one can only buy what's still on the shelves. One has very few options if you are specific in what you want. Since I started this topic I have made several more enquiries - every single one had the same  feedback - stock on many items (i.e. MTB hard tail) expected as late as next year only. Yes - next year!! And YES - I am picky and therefore will just settle with what I have for now. It is not any fault of the bike shops themselves. 

My Mechanic called them

Has anyone recently done some international shopping? I have heard horror stories about stuff taking months to clear customs.  Many international shops package and ship quickly - only for the process to hit an affective dead stop at SA customs.  Making this an VERY risky process to follow. Also did some checking if I were to buy a hardtail at an international shop - the price in general looks OK-ish - but you need to add the following : i) Shop shipping and packaging (usually not free, DHL can be expensive), ii) insurance (yup things do go missing or break, iii)  15% VAT (on top of all previous charges) iv) approx 15% custom duties. This all adds up making the good looking price not so good and then there is the customs clearing risk. Oh - and I think if the price is greater than R50k, you need to bring it in via an agent with an importers license - a bit of a schlep finding one. So is international shopping worth it? 

I placed an order with one of those stores in the links like a week or so before lockdown last year. Parcel took 4 months. When they delivered, I asked why it took so long. The guy said, they very busy and they also quarantine the parcels. Not sure how true that is.

I also had a parcel come with DHL and that took 2 months. So there is no win, even with priority shipping.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Don't even bother trying to buy a used bike. Ridiculous prices asked by owners jumping on the "new bike shortage" bandwagon or use your money on something else. If and when this industry recovers one day, go buy what you want or import direct. Don't waste time on local distributors. All have financial constraints as can be expected and will only import what benefits them and when it suites them. Consumers will have to fall in with their business model.

So basically don't buy a bike until you can buy a bike.

cool.

Am in the same boat - tried to buy a bike on my credit card last week. FYI SARS blocks payments bigger than R50k on credit cards. Luckily though as the website that showed stock available didn't actually have stock. 

My conclusion is it is not worth buying a bike overseas unless you physically go fetch it. Taxes and shipping (approx. 40%) will be far more than the cost of a flight. But good luck getting a bike there too - apparently Cervelo has sold all their 2021 Europe stock already. I think there are bikes in the States, but it's a mission going there. Local agents are also struggling. I tried to order a Factor o2 VAM - earliest indication is October in SA. And no Dura-ace Di2 groupsets available. First world problems, I know, but frustrating nonetheless.