Is it just me or do we have a major stock problem?

pedal menace

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm .......you have stock?? Perhaps private message me so we can have a bit of an question/answer chat or via mail? Will appreciate it. 

I am NOT in the trade. 

Had a quick look on Giant Durbanville's website.  Seems they have a couple of hardtails in stock - linked in previous post.

Maybe a call them ?  (might be faster than checking the specs of each bike on the website...)

I am NOT in the trade. 

Had a quick look on Giant Durbanville's website.  Seems they have a couple of hardtails in stock - linked in previous post.

Maybe a call them ?  (might be faster than checking the specs of each bike on the website...)

Ahh..tx. Will reach out

Yes, and it's Worldwide and in most industries. One of the problems is also that there is a shortage of shipping containers in the Far East. And when you can get one to ship your goods, it gets major expensive. 

Yes shipping costs from the east are about 400% higher vs 2019/early 2020.

Freight between the East and USA are alot higher and the lines make more cash on those routes so all containers are moving to the states.

Almost a year now with this mess.

Yes, and it's Worldwide and in most industries. One of the problems is also that there is a shortage of shipping containers in the Far East. And when you can get one to ship your goods, it gets major expensive. 

Yes, reason: the containers only goes one way. Asia has C19 and the whole lockdown thing under control. It shows in their manufacturing output. 

As said, problem in all areas, I am in the Tyre industry and some companies had a triple increase in 2 months.

Stock is also a problem with some common sizes getting hard to get.

It has a knock on effect.

For example we normally get continental tyres, they don't have stock now we get Michelin, they run out of stock faster then they planned and so it snowballs.

Don't even bother trying to buy a used bike. Ridiculous prices asked by owners jumping on the "new bike shortage" bandwagon or use your money on something else. If and when this industry recovers one day, go buy what you want or import direct. Don't waste time on local distributors. All have financial constraints as can be expected and will only import what benefits them and when it suites them. Consumers will have to fall in with their business model.

Ahh..tx. Will reach out

Don't hold your breath. I asked them about a Trance in my size, it will be here in September. So I bought a Scott.

Don't hold your breath. I asked them about a Trance in my size, it will be here in September. So I bought a Scott.

YES, serious stock on various models ....

BUT, the link shows a number of hardtails IN STOCK.

Dare I state the obvious questions ...

1. Do these bikes fit his requirements ?

2. Do they have his size in stock ?

3. ... uhm, ja ... hope their website is up to date ...

One phone call should be enough to find out if a deal can be made ...

When I was looking for a bike in February 2020 Julien took the time to listen to my requirements, and budget. He ordered in the model that ticked my boxes. HAPPY customer

Agree, even the Savage kit is all sold out, besides some ladies and XL kit. 

That is probably just because I have been too busy to order more though to be honest.

My F** koporaal nou maak dit als sien

Hi All,

Just a tiny wee small little (I guess) insignificant rant. I may be in the market to buy a new MTB Hardtail. Looking for a decent quality bike (Carbon frame, Size L) and medium/high-ish groupset (SRAM X01/Shimano XT is fine). Should be easy right? Given the economy and the downward spiral of the public's buying power I thought I will be able to find something quickly. So I started a bit of a search just to see options/prices (no commitment). First online (yeah I am a bit of a geek - just love browsing). That pretty much yielded ZILCH! Nada! Nothing! Ok sure I most definitely did not go to every website that tom, dick and harry created for his/her shop. Sheesh - I don't love the internet that much. Then I started making phone calls/mailed actual shops (I mean not everybody is online or advertises everything). Good golly gosh! Every response I got was - "Sorry there is just no stock in SA" I queried shops with Scott, Merida and Cannondale (my fav brands). So am I to assume that we are in a really bad position at the moment? Most shops indicated they a general stock problem of MANY things - not just actual bikes. OR...is it perhaps just that MTB Hardtails are not selling that much so no one really brings them in. Guess I will settle with what I have. Ok small rant over - back to browsing - ag mean working!

Try getting a gravel bike in a medium or 54cm frame.Ordered one yesterday and hoping to get it by summer. XT parts are also pretty scarce at the moment.

I need/want a groupset upgrade on my MTB... Looks like I can get a full groupset from Evobikes... but just an upgrade? nada Check CRC... nada too.

Photography is another of my hobbies, and I see Nikon have shuttered two lense manufacturing plants in Japan. 

This is the way it is. We're gonna have to suck it up... 

Edited by lechatnoir

Contacted them - no stock in Size L!

I rest my case.

If you can find a bike that is close to what you want in your size, take it. Don't hesitate, just take it.

BUT, the link shows a number of hardtails IN STOCK.

They might have a bike in stock, or in the Dragons Sport warehouse, but in his size, that is another story.

Julien and his team can only sell what he can source.

I was dead set on buying a 2021 Rocky Mountain element to replace my 2015 model .No stock of that particular model for 2021 and 2022 .On their website it states ,Sold out!