947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

11 hours ago, Bertie N said:

There is a video doing the rounds on WhatsApp showing the new finish.  Not sure on the accuracy of the video or the information.

Voice of Fritz Pienaar.  Head and owner of the Faces group that is organising the 94.7
Seems legit. 

Very technical finish.  The front bunches are going to be tricky.
The back markers are going to be pissed when they see there's another 3 or 4ks to go with a kick or two.  🤣

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Would like to see that colour-way on your bike; I am a Gulf fan, here is a pic of my pumps…

DSCN1920.jpeg

Mate has flaked on me. Reconsidering my choice of bike.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-08 at 08.13.29_fed69c24.jpg

Not that I am totally familiar with the stadium layout, but looking at the vid, it looks as if the finish will impede on the late starters.

9 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Not that I am totally familiar with the stadium layout, but looking at the vid, it looks as if the finish will impede on the late starters.

The start will most likely be moved too. Probably on the road leading to the circle in the opposite direction. That’s what I would do, without having all the details at hand.

IMG_0435.jpeg

If someone want to get rid of their 947 entry, or know of someone that want to get rid of their entry, my coach has decided he wants to do 947 as a training ride for himself.  😂

Please send me a PM so that I can then put the ppl in touch with each other.

7m of extra elevation and 14m of extra descending over 1.2-1.3Km; it might mean not going through the stadium which probably had more elevation gain coming out. The start can still be in a similar place, as there are a number of roads in/out the venue. At least now, die start/finish is aan dieselfde KANT van die stadium.

Seems the extra distance is a thing to complain about #FFS

image.png.62dad418fecfe44a94dde9d743b4a6a4.png

So no stadium walk through this year...which was a waste of time anyway imo. That last drag to the finish will be somewhat tough if you are going for the sprint downhill only to realise that you have burned the last matches and you need to drag yourself to the finish. The parking will be a challenge as I presume the field on the right hand side where us early birds used to park will now be used as the entertainment/food stall area.

24 minutes ago, JJDT said:

So no stadium walk through this year...which was a waste of time anyway imo. That last drag to the finish will be somewhat tough if you are going for the sprint downhill only to realise that you have burned the last matches and you need to drag yourself to the finish. The parking will be a challenge as I presume the field on the right hand side where us early birds used to park will now be used as the entertainment/food stall area.

Who knows? They could take us left into the stadium similar to the Soweto half/marathon and then into and out the stadium. 

Where was the entertainment/food stall areas before? Never used it since the move to Nasrec.

24 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Who knows? They could take us left into the stadium similar to the Soweto half/marathon and then into and out the stadium. 

Where was the entertainment/food stall areas before? Never used it since the move to Nasrec.

The entertainment/food stall area was behind the stadium. Wanted to buy a beer after the first race that was held at the stadium. Only had cash with me and then they only accepted card payments, that was the only time I went to that area. Doubt if we will go through the stadium by looking at the video clip. It will then mean the entrance/exit is at exactly in the same tunnel. This will mean that you do a "parade lap".

Edited by JJDT

9 minutes ago, JJDT said:

The entertainment/food stall area was behind the stadium. Wanted to buy a beer after the first race that was held at the stadium. Only had cash with me and then they only accepted card payments, that was the only time I went to that area. Doubt if we will go through the stadium by looking at the video clip. It will then mean the entrance/exit is at exactly in the same tunnel. This will mean that you do a "parade lap".

It helps to add your cards to your phone or watch - helped me out a few times.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

7m of extra elevation and 14m of extra descending over 1.2-1.3Km; it might mean not going through the stadium which probably had more elevation gain coming out. The start can still be in a similar place, as there are a number of roads in/out the venue. At least now, die start/finish is aan dieselfde KANT van die stadium.

Seems the extra distance is a thing to complain about #FFS

image.png.62dad418fecfe44a94dde9d743b4a6a4.png

with a bit of margin for error we might be finishing on 99.9km then. :) 

25 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

It helps to add your cards to your phone or watch - helped me out a few times.

Sometimes you need to learn the "hard way"😀.

34 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

with a bit of margin for error we might be finishing on 99.9km then. :) 

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I would be happy with 99.99Km

Edit: without knowing the actual start line, it's a guess.

In all seriousness, last year's route with this year's added distance.
S = the point where timing started
F = new finish

Only 1.2Km longer. With the extra roll out under the Soweto Highway (red line), it might be closer to 97Km, maybe a dyslexic race distance of 97.4Km.
image.png.e7cfa140ebe83322297a45c022a29180.png

Edited by Frosty
Without knowing the start line, its a guess.