947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

I'm not sure I should say anything here🫢 But I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Got seeded in A. Never been in A in my life. Usually D,E sometimes C But never A. Only did a 3;20 last year and I don't think I'm even as fit as last year. (Kids keep you really busy). So I'll be the slowest guy in A. I know I can drop back but that 6:35 start time looks really appealing🫣 But ja, there must be a glitch in the matrix somewhere. And I only entered on Tuesday evening.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, RearWheelDrive said:

I'm not sure I should say anything here🫢 But I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Got seeded in A. Never been in A in my life. Usually D,E sometimes C But never A. Only did a 3;20 last year and I don't think I'm even as fit as last year. (Kids keep you really busy). So I'll be the slowest guy in A. I know I can drop back but that 6:35 start time looks really appealing🫣 But ja, there must be a glitch in the matrix somewhere. And I only entered on Tuesday evening.

Last year I got seeding in the FIRST batch for the 99er .... on an ebike, and only my 2nd road event ever.

Also considered starting in a later group.  Noting it was going to be a HOT day, I made use of the early start.... and kept way left !  B and C batches came flying past.  D caught up and a few splinter groups past, but now I was able to keep their pace.

By the time I finished it was mid 30's, and some 30 minutes later they stopped some riders mid-route due to the heat ....

Sometimes these "system errors" work in our favour ... :thumbup:

15 hours ago, WR 1.0 said:

I then went onto Howler last night and saw there was some info missing on my entry ( early bird last year). Completed those, and got the " success" message.

This is what happened to me too. Not sure why they could not just have alerted us. They HAVE our money, but because of a few "survey" fields you are not registered to ride. Why the hell did I pay then, surely my intent is to ride. These questions were obviously added AFTER entries first opened and we had paid.

Since this new crowd took over the entire admin side has been a mess. Thankfully the race itself seems to be well put together.

12 minutes ago, RearWheelDrive said:

I did a 3:20 the last 2 years, yet they stuck be down in I this year ? 

Last year they put me in C

My guess is that they have a random generator, they chuck the names in and it spits out random start groups. It the only thing that makes sense.

29 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I did a 3:20 the last 2 years, yet they stuck be down in I this year ? 

Last year they put me in C

My guess is that they have a random generator, they chuck the names in and it spits out random start groups. It the only thing that makes sense.

I'm still waiting for my updated seeding.

The starting time link form earlier in the tread still doesn't show my details

44 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I didn’t realise that World Rugby is also doing 947 seedings.
A post on our club WhatsApp group.

E batch seeding.

W batch start with a mate, maybe more, on their MTBs and myself on my SS. Look out for me on a Gulf Oil-esque colourway Rook bike.

2 hours ago, RearWheelDrive said:

I have one baby and he's robbed my training time. But his cute face is worth it 🤣

Edited by mecheng89
Spelling

18 hours ago, Frosty said:

It has nothing to do with Peak Timing. They were the service provider on the day to do the physical timing, i.e. setup the equipment, time everyone, and upload the data to the database.

I'm note sure whether FinishTime or the Organiser would be doing the seeding. It's not mentioned who does the seeding. The organiser does other events, like the Nissan MTB series, some gravel events, etc., so they aren't new to the system of seeding.

It's just odd that someone like @Spinnekop finished inside the top positions on this screenshot below, which is the overall for all 97Km open category riders. The top 11 all rode faster than the winning Elite time, which might be possible with an eBike, but unlikely to be less than 2 hours. Some of these peeps would most likely have entered the 97Km event, and only did the 35Km route. It's not difficult to clear these results, or DQ them. No way a 57yo lady is capable of doing 2:14, and if she is, then she should be riding Elite and qualifying for the R100k prize purse.

I'm leaving the names in the open, as the results are available at this link, so I'm not violating any privacy issues when it's available publicly anyway... https://live.ultimate.dk/desktop/front/index.php?eventid=5880

A tip for the time/position conscious, don't start at the front of your group. The results are listed by nett time (mat to mat) and not gross time (gun to mat). I was in the top 10 for my start group, finishing ahead of a few people I know, yet the results shows I'm half a minute behind them (net time) yet ahead on gross time. Doesn't bother me, but I know some people bragging with their results showing a top 10, but they were closer to top 30 (still a good ride to be there at the finish).
image.png.0cd1a232a67675bae972f5af2d328ce5.png

Man, Oom Tony is a speed demon. I'd love to know his power required to do this event at that average speed. 

22 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

actually they responded rather quickly. Got a whatsapp with my seeding.

Its wrong.

But I'll make the most of it from group I . At least I know I'm in the "race" now,

Edit:

Lets see, have requested a reseeding a few groups forward.

lol, got my reseeding. They moved me up 2 groups. I -> G

41 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

what kind of google skills do you poses that you managed to find this ?

No Google required; it’s on the 947 site.

So after 3 reseeding submissions, 2 declines, I finally got a Whatsapp to say I have been reseeded to C.

I wanted B, but will take C after initially been seeded in E. I'm done fighting...lol.

Their queuing system is totally flawed it seems. I requested a re-seeding on website link entered all the info and a short motivation why. Received my re-seeding now, up from K - H after I requested G again as per last year. Not really satisfied but at least it is somewhat better.

Now how come a few Hub Members who clearly stated that they requested a re-seeding a few days ago receive no response, but some receive a response within 24 hours. It does not seem that they do have a queuing system at all, it is like randomly choosing a request and not per time in.