Stans announce overhauled MK4 Crest, Arch and Flow rims

Bike Hub Features

On 7/7/2021 at 9:14 AM, Two Wheels Trading said:

Hi Guys, just an update on these - we are expecting our first shipment around 9 September. We have opened up pre-orders on our website and your local dealer can also pre-book for you.

the link to the rims on our website is here https://twowheelstrading.co.za/product-category/stans-mk4-rim-range/

Maybe one day I can get an answer about upgrading my 'cracked around the nipples' rims ??????

Especially seeing as they are the 3rd or 4th set !!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested to hear and see how the Crest MK4 rims would turn out for gravel bike wheels.

According to the Stans website, the wheelset still has a weight limit of 86kg which is really quite light (in my opinion).

That doesn't seem any better than the previous version.

https://www.notubes.com/crest-mk4-wheelset

20 minutes ago, splat said:

I am interested to hear and see how the Crest MK4 rims would turn out for gravel bike wheels.

According to the Stans website, the wheelset still has a weight limit of 86kg which is really quite light (in my opinion).

86kg's ... that is certainly not SA rider rated

But why even bother with Crest when you can get the Flow rims? BTW, all rims will eventually crack at the nipple holes, rear wheels far mores swiftly than front rims  - its simple science. 

16 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

They need a buffalo version! 

That would be the Arch or the Flow

But the Crest being punted as a good rim for gravel bikes is silly (if it has that weight limit)
Almost as silly than the Crest rim being used for XC ????

1 hour ago, splat said:

The crest is a lightweight racing rim right ? So why do you people who are clearly over the weight limit (limit is justified in my opinion) complain 

Just ride the rims made for your weight that are only slightly heavier

Just now, BaGearA said:

The crest is a lightweight racing rim right ? So why do you people who are clearly over the weight limit (limit is justified in my opinion) complain 

If you can get them of course - nothing in stock by the look of it at TWT.

Built up the new mk4 crest rims on hope hubs recently, with a warranty replacement of the one mk3 that had cracked at the nipple. They do seem to be a much better proposition and if they have reinforced the area as stated and with the asymmetric rim profile should be a much stronger setup. But yes, if you are over the weight limit, they are not for you. Really like the Matt finish as well without stickers. 

4C4A30FB-46B6-4DB6-8439-C9CBBD613AF8.jpeg

9333E3F1-9C80-4E97-AB8C-A2A1DA9BD83B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

You are right. I am too heavy for them.

I suppose that I was hoping that the MK4's would be a bit more robust as I was considering them for a gravel bike build with some Hope RS4 hubs.

They are no longer on my radar

41 minutes ago, splat said:

That would be the Arch or the Flow

But the Crest being punted as a good rim for gravel bikes is silly (if it has that weight limit)
Almost as silly than the Crest rim being used for XC ????

I reckon it would make a great gravel/all rounder rim. 
A while back I had 650b ZTR Crests laced to Stans hubs on a Momsen 650b hardtail, loved that wheelset, and bike. It held up through plenty riding and two seasons of XCO provincials, nationals and even a ballies World Champs. 
If they're 29r they definitely would have gone onto my gravel bike.