Widest tire on old steel frame for commuting

Fork-it

Hi, I am still busy with my single speed commuter project and I need to consider tire options. I don't have old road tire lying around so I am looking at buying a basic set of road tires. 

My thinking is to rather go with a wider tire for commuting. Does anyone know what is the widest I can go on a steel Hansom road frame?

8 minutes ago, Knersboy said:

On my old Hansom I have 25mm tires, at least for the rear I don’t think I can go wider than that.

Thank you for the input. Where does the width become a problem on the rear wheel, I suppose where the chainstays start narrowing?

Yeah with 25mm tires on the rear I only have just less than 5mm space on either side. Removing the rear wheel is a bit of a pain too.

14 minutes ago, Fork-it said:

Thank you for the input. Where does the width become a problem on the rear wheel, I suppose where the chainstays start narrowing?

There, under inside the brake calipers (if you are going to run them) or under the fork crown usually. 

The old steel frames vary a bit, but I have mostly found it possible to fit a 28 mm on the rear and a 32mm on the front. Don't settle for a 25mm until you have tried in a wheel with an inflated 28mm at least. It makes a BIG difference in comfort and handles rough road, potholes and stones much better than a 25mm. It also sticks better in the wet. I run Continental Gatorskins in the above sizes on 3 old classic bikes and a set of Thickslick urban tyres from Rook Cycles on a single speed. They may say 25 mm but definitely have more volume than that. Nothing beats the Contis for toughness though, and they last as well.

Edited by DJR

Can confirm I put 28mm tires on for Eroica, on a steel Alpina, no rubbing/touching whatsoever, even under out-of-the-seat climbing, so zero problem on this bike. 

heve left them on subsequently, done 2 or3 road rides, they work well…

IIRC, I need to let air out of tires only to REMOVE the wheels, since my brakes do not have the over-cam opening device.

Edited by Zebra

as DJR mentioned though...25mm is not 25mm is not 25mm. The sizes vary between brands unfortunately. I have a set of tan wall Good Year Eagle 25C on my vintage bike and they are noticeably smaller than the Pirelli 25C that I have as well. The Pirelli 25c measures closer to 28c...so i'm convinced a 28c Pirelli will measure close to 30c +. My point is....if your frame can take a 28c...that doesnt mean EVERY 28c will go in there.

to ADD to what Morne says, when I put the Roubaix Pro tires on my MTB, they were marked 700X30/32c...

I then asked store salesman why they would be 30/32c, and not one, or the other...

he replied depends on rim width, which would change effective diameter/profile of the tire...

makes sense, I guess!

On 7/5/2021 at 5:57 AM, Fork-it said:

Hi, I am still busy with my single speed commuter project and I need to consider tire options. I don't have old road tire lying around so I am looking at buying a basic set of road tires. 

My thinking is to rather go with a wider tire for commuting. Does anyone know what is the widest I can go on a steel Hansom road frame?

Let your LBS know your concerns before you buy the larger volume tyre, and ask them before purchase if (a) you can swap them out for a narrower version should they not fit or (b) fit the larger version first in the LBS and swap out right away if they do not fit.

Just to add my 2c worth. It often depends on the tubing used on the Hansom. From Reynolds 501 and upwards the geometry tends to be more race orientated and the clearances less for wider tires, especially if you own a frame that was custom made for a client.

The cheaper tubing like 025 can often accommodate up to 32C tires.

7 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Just to add my 2c worth. It often depends on the tubing used on the Hansom. From Reynolds 501 and upwards the geometry tends to be more race orientated and the clearances less for wider tires, especially if you own a frame that was custom made for a client.

The cheaper tubing like 025 can often accommodate up to 32C tires.

This helps, thank you. How do I find out where on the scale this frame fits in? Can I send you a pic?

3 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Post the photo's here and let us have a look. See if you can find a tubing decal on the down tube or seat tube.

ifaCZadpDCo2rzfXxObyDxqVl28n135jH2BSlcLTKXFwZrAwSoL7aQoBriRqD6jt58TimkC1H0QPqoNfFnNNAnUhGxmCjRt0bQqByd_tQnDrit2YmDUZBsQxZPHcrAvoDumLPk8FZqzWy9PBbhKH197krS39RXWkxE4l1HfdYR3IvU1fJ_IRx8rMUXxEIYp-j_GE7kHOAvh7CDLdimp1blMPpenOvpKk1oKdPyDJuNq_ylqPoZS7Bc6K5EcWFf4cFsRKQ10RX501uTJy4wjwqO2vgLjfnNnXNPXct4GN18cO5PPyOZ2pF3MKJ0oP6nfXckOc7sZQix50gOagFZkpraT5nRkY7q6LM1NQeTwVWlIb-P2bErfkw1SYOuRnSxlU0nI8hUyHU7EDGFdl4Oxtlu9l38GGC7zDhzG16GsJ1a91EiCFeJY_dLccBGbhpREE52-E2OHtccUV60d0uFdLhqbaLvZr4ReRIJA6kq_I1BtO5RNy01ZaQV3VDRbfc6_u9YC-ZtWTmrryAIXhExhATdK-zbc5FUbVothS4ODNGkJkusD6S3XLyaqBDAv2BbE6X556y0xCWkBJ9-B00yes8Ei3AnvnXTacuVNJUZH-ZO7cOOCc8QFGc8rMeQbW_-YRQr-1iRYh_X7o3T9Lv9zgAL6d7z6mGDUjp9BWh5HCbRsxJ8tG7vE6c7PP4Q2KqakwZUVED7xrw-p6E1O102lH5WcBXA=w1666-h937-no?authuser=0

A Hansom is not a Hansom is not a Hansom and what fits on one is unlikely to fit on all the others

My suggestion is that you try a few borrowed wheels and see how they fit. Front and back are also likely to be different.  Maybe your bikeshop can help.

I agree that you should try different size tyres already mounted on a wheel. 25 would be a little light for commuting and so if you can go bigger do so, the other advice about 28 being so much better is correct,  I have found that the back of the clamp for the front changer (on the downtube) also rubs, but on the old frames with horizontal rear drop outs you can move the wheel backwards a fair degree. I run 28 on an old Le Turbo (same era as the Hansom - did 2017 Léroica - no punctures or wheel damage) and manage a 34 on a Le Jeune - its a bit "over-tyred" though. I bought it that way and intended it for Léroica and just never downscaled it. Its great on broken tarmac, gravel etc.