Event Pricing on Websites

Stockman

Is it just me or are there others that get a tad irritated  when receiving an email advertising an event and when you pop into the website, you pretty much have to go through the entry process before you can find the pricing?

Why not just say upfront- For just R6500.00 you can enjoy a 3 day ride in the heart if the wherever! Then I’ll decide whether I want to spend the next 15 minutes reading the where and when!

They have all been caught up with the whole "funnel" concept, basically forcing you to sign up before you can get any real information, effectively tying you in to future marketing etc, whether you enter or not. 

I agree though, it's very annoying 

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'm 100% with you on this.

When I go onto an events website, there's probably only 4 things I want to see: 

When?
Where?
How long?
How much?

Sometimes you get lucky with the first 3, but even that is guaranteed. 

I wonder if Taun is reading this thread and taking some tips for advertising/marketing for his next "tour".????

i enter the price for entry on a thread if it's not upfront and i had to search for it

5 hours ago, hansolo said:

I agree, super annoying.

At least you don't have to enter your credit card details for a "free trial".

that's an obvious way to hook you in with Ts and Cs

2 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I'm 100% with you on this.

When I go onto an events website, there's probably only 4 things I want to see: 

When?
Where?
How long?
How much?

Sometimes you get lucky with the first 3, but even that is guaranteed. 

Like this?image.png.6d13829a81a4a242b7a5b8d73ca7cb9d.png

image.png.6d13829a81a4a242b7a5b8d73ca7cb9d.png

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Like this?image.png.6d13829a81a4a242b7a5b8d73ca7cb9d.png

image.png.6d13829a81a4a242b7a5b8d73ca7cb9d.png

100% ????

I checked out the website for the event.... Not the most flashy or colourful, but everything I actually want to know is right in front of me, and the route is available without having to ask. Awesome stuff Mr Frosty! 

I get that people want to make things flashy and exciting and colourful, but for flip sake at least make sure it's not a treasure hunt to find basic details. 

Another pet peeve is events not posting GPX files for routes. And then when you ask the organizer for it, you get told that the route is well marked so you won't get lost. Flip sake. How can it be so hard to do something so basic.

2 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

They have all been caught up with the whole "funnel" concept, basically forcing you to sign up before you can get any real information, effectively tying you in to future marketing etc, whether you enter or not. 

I agree though, it's very annoying 

Not just events.

I tried to quickly buy two 26" tyres I had promised my garden worker from the CycleLab as I was passing and had 5 minutes to spare.

Nope, can't pay unless I give them my name, cell phone number and email. I was about to leave when someone was called to override the system.

Last time they see me.

100% ????

I checked out the website for the event.... Not the most flashy or colourful, but everything I actually want to know is right in front of me, and the route is available without having to ask. Awesome stuff Mr Frosty! 

I get that people want to make things flashy and exciting and colourful, but for flip sake at least make sure it's not a treasure hunt to find basic details. 

Another pet peeve is events not posting GPX files for routes. And then when you ask the organizer for it, you get told that the route is well marked so you won't get lost. Flip sake. How can it be so hard to do something so basic.

It's all about listening to your customers, and (trying to give) giving them what they want; at least for most of the customers, most of the time.
Being a cyclist, I know what's required, eg. when, where, how much and how far, GPX file, route map, directions to the venue, route profile, etc. Some organisers aren't cyclists, so they don't experience other events, as a participant. 

Another pet peeve is events not posting GPX files for routes

some dont even give a proper image of the route map, only a tiny little thing that cant be zoomed into.

5 hours ago, ouzo said:

some dont even give a proper image of the route map, only a tiny little thing that cant be zoomed into.

Mountainbru and I have crossed swords on this issue last week already, I must say to me personally this is less of an issue (unless of course it's a self navigated endurance ride or something). 

I quiet often prefer not really knowing what to expect, and even when  the detailed map and gpx is available I don't bother with it.

Whether it's a 35km or 75km route, I have a reasonable idea in my head how long I expect to be out there and then just ride and treat everything like a surprise. 

What were you guys doing 10 years ago when gps head units with mapping functions weren't readily available?

Sometimes having too much information spoils the fun. That's why I hardly even ride with my edge anymore. Just use the watch to log the ride, and will have a look over the stats post ride, sometimes. 

Sometimes I think riders take themselves way too seriously.

15 minutes ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Mountainbru and I have crossed swords on this issue last week already, I must say to me personally this is less of an issue (unless of course it's a self navigated endurance ride or something). 

I quiet often prefer not really knowing what to expect, and even when  the detailed map and gpx is available I don't bother with it.

Whether it's a 35km or 75km route, I have a reasonable idea in my head how long I expect to be out there and then just ride and treat everything like a surprise. 

What were you guys doing 10 years ago when gps head units with mapping functions weren't readily available?

Sometimes having too much information spoils the fun. That's why I hardly even ride with my edge anymore. Just use the watch to log the ride, and will have a look over the stats post ride, sometimes. 

Sometimes I think riders take themselves way too seriously.

I always look for three bits of info ....

1. Distance (am I riding alone, or with the 10 year old)

2. Elevation .... again depending on who is riding

3. Price ....

Frustrating to flip through 10 pages to find this data for 2 or 3 ride option.

Closer to the event it is nice to know at which distance the last climb is (know when to burn those last matches) .... but not a deal breaker.

As per the OP .... nice to get those first three bits of info on the first screen.

Back on planet earth .... so looking forward to a time when we can have proper events again, including vibe, beer tent, the real thing ....  we can dream ....