Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 hour ago, AJB76 said:

Well, so much for that idea. Head aches, occasional dizziness and increasing chest pains had me back at quack this week. More tests and X-rays and he's issued me a "stop-ride" until I've been to see a cardiologist. No appointments available next week. 

So no CTCT for me this year 😭

Enjoy it everyone, stay safe and have a lekka ride 💪.

I got Covid on Christmas eve and it was over a month before I felt "normal". The main symptoms were not bad at all and were gone in a few days. But (being a cyclist) a knew what my heart rate was supposed to be going up a certain hill at a certain speed, etc - and that aspect took a good while before I felt OK. My heart rate was way too high the first few times I got back on a bike (dizziness too), it was only in February when I felt like I could give 100% up a hill and not be stressed about what my HR would do.

So I wouldn't worry if I were you, but I also wouldn't ride. Bummer about the CTCT but it will almost certainly be horrific and windy. I know this because I have a good seeding and my last 5 weeks of training have been fantastic and I'm quite fit again.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

All the best with the tests and recovery

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

hopefully any treatment will be swift and effective.

59 minutes ago, KingZA said:

rest up and I'm sure we'll see you there next year 

Thanx chaps.

59 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I got Covid on Christmas eve and it was over a month before I felt "normal". The main symptoms were not bad at all and were gone in a few days. But (being a cyclist) a knew what my heart rate was supposed to be going up a certain hill at a certain speed, etc - and that aspect took a good while before I felt OK. My heart rate was way too high the first few times I got back on a bike (dizziness too), it was only in February when I felt like I could give 100% up a hill and not be stressed about what my HR would do.

So I wouldn't worry if I were you, but I also wouldn't ride. Bummer about the CTCT but it will almost certainly be horrific and windy. I know this because I have a good seeding and my last 5 weeks of training have been fantastic and I'm quite fit again.

Exactly the same thing here. Actual symptoms were super mild and lasted for 2 days. 

26 January. Easy recovery workout. (4 days before I got the C)

8dc08e18-80e7-484d-add4-811dd64d4655.jpg.d89080ef66589bbd036bc477b5ca1ba0.jpg

25 February. Exact same workout (same power)

+31 avg and +38 max

6c9203cb-6f6f-4465-84f6-77867e9c6660.jpg.438af59896e326a6d9779bf1ea80f8d0.jpg

3 hours ago, AJB76 said:

Well, so much for that idea. Head aches, occasional dizziness and increasing chest pains had me back at quack this week. More tests and X-rays and he's issued me a "stop-ride" until I've been to see a cardiologist. No appointments available next week. 

That sucks.

Rest up, hope you are a.okay soon 

This was a truly fantastic weather day.

No wind in the morning.

After lunch just a nice breeze helping you back to town.  Sea was choppy, but wind felt okay along the route.

LOTS of cyclists out on the route.

Screenshot_20220304-142445_Gallery.jpg.c06e217f54467b51020e8670c9ee0023.jpg

Some Swiss riders taking a breather.

Pity I did not take the bike along today.

54 minutes ago, AJB76 said:

Exactly the same thing here. Actual symptoms were super mild and lasted for 2 days. 

26 January. Easy recovery workout. (4 days before I got the C)

8dc08e18-80e7-484d-add4-811dd64d4655.jpg.d89080ef66589bbd036bc477b5ca1ba0.jpg

25 February. Exact same workout (same power)

+31 avg and +38 max

6c9203cb-6f6f-4465-84f6-77867e9c6660.jpg.438af59896e326a6d9779bf1ea80f8d0.jpg

Wow, heal up fast!

28 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What route do you take from the finish back to CTICC, if you park there.

We used to go Waterfront side, depending on when you finish it should still be fairly car-free.
Dock road, according to Google. Like so:
image.png.3e9dcf5de5fd0ff6eca77ba0c019e575.png

Edited by HdB

18 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What route do you take from the finish back to CTICC, if you park there.

Straight down the road from the finish area. Go underneath the "bridge" and keep right to join up with Main road. Cycle down to the CBD, turn left on Long str, and you cycle straight into CTICC. 

4 hours ago, AJB76 said:

You might just be a very rare male that decided to do the right thing. Most of us, me included, would probably have raced and done more harm. Lousy for you, I feel for you. Must be very frustrating.

Just now, Long Wheel Base said:

You might just be a very rare male that decided to do the right thing. Most of us, me included, would probably have raced and done more harm. Lousy for you, I feel for you. Must be very frustrating.

Oh no look, I was considering trying to get an e-bike and try just lap the course in 6 hours just to finish it. And make no mistake, there's still a part of me that wants to roll up there and ride. But, sometimes you gotta think the long game.

I've also got 70.3 PE coming up. So it makes it a bit easier to sit this one out and try come right before then. 

This time next week I will be arriving in Cape Town. Dropping my bike off with the transport company on Sunday. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please can everyone in # ride a nice hard consistent pace. Lets leave the attacks for somewhere around Camps Bay.............

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

No wind in the morning.

After lunch just a nice breeze helping you back to town.  Sea was choppy, but wind felt okay along the route.

....aaaaaahhhhhh the joys of working in cape Town on a Friday.

Such a tough life filled with peril and head wind🙄

43 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

This time next week I will be arriving in Cape Town. Dropping my bike off with the transport company on Sunday. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please can everyone in # ride a nice hard consistent pace. Lets leave the attacks for somewhere around Camps Bay.............

Who have you chosen as your transport company if I may ask? I'm going with Joggie, so I need to drop off tomorrow or Sunday. 

Am growing more excited as time goes by, been a hectic week, new job, so getting to learn the ins and outs, not much time to get buzzing for CTCT.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

No wind in the morning.

With weather like that, why wouldn't you?