(why is there no) bike touring/bikepacking section here?...

Shebeen

28 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I have not, but will give it a try when I plan to go out of town.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried garmin basemaps and a couple of others which gets confusing. 

Exactly what happens to me.  Very confusing.  Dumbnuts!

I tried downloading a route, then onto Garmin .... tested at home .... started the route, at one point I decided to go right when the route said left, knowing I will join back onto the route in a few hundred meters.  Simply could not get Garmin to continue showing the route once I re-joined.

This test was done in an area I knew .... too scared to get unstuck like this in the bundoes ....

Clearly need to spend some more time figuring out this technology ....

I've used RidewithGPS loads.  Many times in areas that I'd never been to and even in different countries where the only roads I could see were on google maps satellite view but not actually on the map.  So there was uncertainty when heading out, but it's yet to let me down.   Even in times where I've gone off route, I've been guided back.  

I find it very easy to use, but I'm pretty good with maps and visualising, so plotting a route for me is just marking down on a screen what I do in my head anyway. 

I also like making routes just to check on their elevation and distances if its an area I'm not familiar with.  

1 hour ago, copperhead said:

You don't need a map or directions when touring. You just ride. It doesn't matter where. You just enjoy. 

What I have done up till now.  Having gone electric I need to plan better. 

11 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Sepia . Try Komoot . Free to register and easy to use .

Even for an old timer like me .

Is that for "making" the route ?

What do you use to "follow" the route while cycling ?  Garmin or a phone ?

Would like to know what I did wrong, and why Garmin did not carry on directing me once I got back on route .... seems it just wanted me to re.join where I deviated from the route.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Sepia . Try Komoot . Free to register and easy to use .

Even for an old timer like me .

Yip, it works!  Piece o Pie!    Gracios Arno.  Even for me this is easy as .....

What a pleasure.  Opens a new world for me. 

I noted most of these routes are in the Western Cape. Are there any bike packing routes in Gauteng or Surrounding provinces. Looking for anything between a 2 - 5 day trip 

Howzit, Im not totally adverse to that idea. Just thinking of the safety factor, I know there is crime every where but Gauteng can be a different kettle of fish 

5 hours ago, Charity85 said:

Howzit, Im not totally adverse to that idea. Just thinking of the safety factor, I know there is crime every where but Gauteng can be a different kettle of fish 

CrazyGuyOnABike is an oldschool website of online journals by people who have done bike tours. I've filtered for south africa: 

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?locale_id=195&doctype=journal

It's interesting to read different people's takes on south africa. Some good, some bad. Most of the time the perception of crime is worse than the reality, but unfortunately you only need one or two incidents of violent crime to be life changing/ending.

This is one below is one of my favourites. This korean lady rode around the world for about a decade. She might still be riding. This is where her journal starts in africa:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=322828&v=38C&src=page_next

It's hard not to read her comments with a korean accent.

Anyway, I guess my point is, a lot of people have ridden bikes right up africa and made it out alive.

Hi all,

The best way to do it is to have a basic idea of how many days you want to ride, take the time off. Book your accommodation unless you want to rough camp or camp at a campsite instead. Get on your bike and go. The wonderful thing about touring/bike packing is you have so much time to explore. If you get lost ask someone for help you will more than likely encounter someone on your way. You don't have to leave at the crack of dawn. Its summer the days are longer. But do yourself a favour and get going there's so much talk here and no riding???? I've just returned from doing the Cederberg Circuit and although the weather was shite we got out there and enjoyed it. 8 of us went and we had an awesome time. I did cross cape in May/June and went the accommodation route instead of carrying a tent and there were 3 of us and we had an unbelievable experience which I'd love to repeat again. Use Cape cycles routes and make up your own trips. We have so many roads out there. There are endless routes to use with so many towns close to each other. Anything is possible. If you concerned about riding from your gate ask a friend to drop you off or even leave your car with someone and give them a small fee or even just asked you may get a surprise and pay nothing! 

On 11/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, Fat Boab said:

Have you or Sepia tried ridewithgps.com? V easy to plot routes and get profiles etc. As yet, I haven't tried downloading onto a device (cos I dont have a mapping device)!

Komoot works really well with plotting and then using routes.

Field tested

Some good points. Thank you all. I did a smaller 5 day route last year up to Langebaan then to Hopefield, Darling, Yzerfontein and back home. Just go like someone else mentioned. I plan a trip through the Karoo as we speak. Bought more water containers etc.