Rockshocks fork oil

11 minutes ago, droo said:

Good info, cheers. I didn't think Ohlins would have made a bad call, but not being a tribologist and not knowing any that aren't affiliated to a brand they're selling makes it hard to get an unbiased opinion.

The stability would probably explain the 50 hour oil change intervals on Ohlins forks then, which means that 5W30 would be better for the average bike owner who pushes their service intervals to 200+ hours...

200h...oh **** I was out by an order of magnitude...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, droo said:

Good info, cheers. I didn't think Ohlins would have made a bad call, but not being a tribologist and not knowing any that aren't affiliated to a brand they're selling makes it hard to get an unbiased opinion.

The stability would probably explain the 50 hour oil change intervals on Ohlins forks then, which means that 5W30 would be better for the average bike owner who pushes their service intervals to 200+ hours...

..and calls their fork in classifieds ....."mint condition" 

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

Is this used in self lubricating bushes?

far too broad a request by @Headshot .... is this a high speed requirement, is there cause for concern RE cavitation, just where does this end?

It is a "duallie" or a "hardtail" ?

8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

It is a high heat situation

Viscosity selection depends on the clearances involved. Heat can be a factor too.  Generally self lubricating bushes prefer slow speed long strokes. High speed short stroke applications generally require a bit more additive 

21 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Viscosity selection depends on the clearances involved. Heat can be a factor too.  Generally self lubricating bushes prefer slow speed long strokes. High speed short stroke applications generally require a bit more additive 

So a short stroke runs faster using a shorter piston .... less torque more high speed?

12 minutes ago, Hairy said:

So a short stroke runs faster using a shorter piston .... less torque more high speed?

it generally get to the destination quicker yes.

22 minutes ago, droo said:

Touches the sides of a tuna can, but not the bottom...

Stoke with the oversquare stroke!

• 8 months later...

Talk about moving the goal posts. 

In the past I used the 0W-30 Rockshox oil on my 2020 Pike Ultimate and going through the manual now I see they list Maxima PLUSH Dynamic Suspension Lube Light as the oil to use. 

What is the difference and will I be killing anything sticking to the 0W-30 oil?