Sani2C tyre choice

Forwardloop

Greetings Hubbers

I'm doing the Sani2C Race next year as my first multi stage race. I'm not an XC oriented person, as I spend most of biking life trial riding. XC racing was my youth days, now I'm all about the flow.

Weapon of choice for the event is my tried and tested, 2020 Trek Fuel Ex 7, as it's my only choice because it's really the only bike I need in my garage honestly (downscaled from 4 bikes to 1 now).

While I am not concerned about my choice of bike, I am however concerned about tyre selection. Don't think my current Bontrager XR4 team issue 2.6 (which I was going to bin when I bought the bike, and now trust with my life), will make for a pleasant and efficient ride. 

What tyre recommendations do those who have done the event suggest? Tyres will be mated to RaceFace ARC 30 rims. Looking for a tyre combo that rolls efficiently but has great traction in the corners. Obviously needs to cater to the varied conditions that the Sani can throw at the rides. I'm going to need all the climbing and rolling advantages I can get.

Edited by Forwardloop

2 hours ago, Forwardloop said:

Greetings Hubbers

I'm doing the Sani2C Race next year as my first multi stage race. I'm not an XC oriented person, as I spend most of biking life trial riding. XC racing was my youth days, now I'm all about the flow.

Weapon of choice for the event is my tried and tested, 2020 Trek Fuel Ex 7, as it's my only choice because it's really the only bike I need in my garage honestly (downscaled from 4 bikes to 1 now).

While I am not concerned about my choice of bike, I am however concerned about tyre selection. Don't think my current Bontrager XR4 team issue 2.6 (which I was going to bin when I bought the bike, and now trust with my life), will make for a pleasant and efficient ride. 

What tyre recommendations do those who have done the event suggest? Tyres will be mated to RaceFace ARC 30 rims. Looking for a tyre combo that rolls efficiently but has great traction in the corners. Obviously needs to cater to the varied conditions that the Sani can throw at the rides. I'm going to need all the climbing and rolling advantages I can get.

Great, will be doing my first as well. I'm thinking maxis rekon race, 2.35. Keen to hear what the experts say. 

Did the J2C a few years back with a Vittoria Barzo front and Saguaro rear combo. No problem with traction over the varied terrain, and fast rolling on the district roads / hardpack. And not a single flat / puncture over the 9 days. Winter time here in the WC I run Barzo front and rear. 

Wtb trailboss.

I swear by these tyres. If you are all about the flow, then you really shouldn’t even be uttering the words rolling resitance.

Weight, rolling resistance, all does not matter unless you are top 10 contender. Don’t overthink it.

If you ask ten people, you'll get ten opinions. I like Vittoria Barzo on front 2.35, Maxis crossmark 2 on the back. 

Lots of options. Something with less rolling resistance on the back (e.g. Reckon Race, Crossmark, Saguaro) and then something with a little more grip on the front (Forekaster or Barzo). I find the Forekaster drifts less on "loose over hard" than the Barzo.

Aside from the tread pattern, get the tough build and I find Enduro seal is one of the best. With my Maxxis set up (Reckon race back, Forecaster front), it has been a case of install and forget.

59 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Maxxis Crossmark.

Did 5 Sani's with them, not one puncture.

I don't think there is anything out there that will puncture those tank tires 😁

2 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

If you ask ten people, you'll get ten opinions. I like Vittoria Barzo on front 2.35, Maxis crossmark 2 on the back. 

Yes you will ,but above combo is the best ,or put a maxxis ikon 2.35 at the back

Edited by eala

3 hours ago, Pieterlab1 said:

Maxxis Crossmark.

Did 5 Sani's with them, not one puncture.

Crossmark is a great tyre but to heavy and not enough grip as a front tyre imo

Edited by eala

A more general comment - don't use the same tyre front and back. Always use a grippier tyre on the front - that way the rear "warns" you a bit when you're hitting the traction limit (instead of the front going first and you lying in a ditch with a face full of mud/dust wandering what the hell happened).

If you do have 1 tyre that you love above all other then use a wider version on the front.