UCI XCO World Cup 2022 Season

Hairy

18 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Steel is real but what is this new age singlespeed thing? Did someone`s derailleur break and then it became a thing? Mtb needs more than 1 gear. Give me back my full rigid steel 21 speed beast!

Long live elastomer forks!

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

The UCI gave it to themeselves, last time I checked they were kind of in charge…

I’m also sad and it was a great show the past few years, but ten years is a good run. As far as I can tell, Red Bull did tender for the new contract, but the UCI chose Discovery Networks over them, and a host of others. 

I do think people are worrying for nothing though. In all likelihood, there will still be free coverage like there is now, but it will just be run through GMBN (playsports network, who runs GCN/GMBN/GTN etc is owned by Discovery). They already provided the coverage of EWS for free on GMBN, and part of the changes coming next year is to align EWS more with other UCI MTBing events. 

Will miss Rob on commentary though. He has been fired from GMBN once before, so not sure if they will have him back.

Except that that free coverage is not live broadcast WC DH. Enduro coverage is pretty average and the presenters lack the ability and enthusiasm of Rob W, who despite his faults was able to convey his enthusiasm for the sport and the antics of the rider on track  like no other. 

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Except that that free coverage is not live broadcast WC DH. Enduro coverage is pretty average and the presenters lack the ability and enthusiasm of Rob W, who despite his faults was able to convey his enthusiasm for the sport and the antics of the rider on track  like no other. 

Agreed. I think losing Rob on commentary is going to be a sad day for the sport, but I don’t think you can compare the current coverage of EWS to the XCO and Downhill. The EWS coverage could be better, but I don’t think it’s realistic to put together a live broadcast of EWS. You have different riders, in different categories Riding on different parts of a mountain simultaneously. I think it is more suited to the course overview, plus rider interviews, plus highlights package. 

I think it’s fair to give them a chance first and see what the coverage is going to be like next year. We might be pleasantly surprised. 

I think at this point the only thing we can be sure of is Super Sport will make a ballsup of distributing it in South Africa, because it pays more to show re-runs of sundowns playing against chippa unt from six seasons ago. 

36 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Agreed. I think losing Rob on commentary is going to be a sad day for the sport, but I don’t think you can compare the current coverage of EWS to the XCO and Downhill. The EWS coverage could be better, but I don’t think it’s realistic to put together a live broadcast of EWS. You have different riders, in different categories Riding on different parts of a mountain simultaneously. I think it is more suited to the course overview, plus rider interviews, plus highlights package. 

I think it’s fair to give them a chance first and see what the coverage is going to be like next year. We might be pleasantly surprised. 

I think at this point the only thing we can be sure of is Super Sport will make a ballsup of distributing it in South Africa, because it pays more to show re-runs of sundowns playing against chippa unt from six seasons ago. 

Any free feed will be ad-packed and heavily edited. The full live feed will be ad-packed and expensive ... and quite possibly not be available (without VPN) is SA. The riders are so fed-up with the lack of info that they are creating a union to protect their interests. The EWS feed is disappointing, at best. Chris Whatever-his-Surname-is from EWS has been evasive (to put it mildly) regarding info about next year.

The hour-long broadcast Discovery has created concerning the next years has been really, really bad IMHO ... US sport television at its worst. My fingers are crossed for a) accessibility, b) affordability and c) reasonable quality. 

12 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Bart and Rob were great XCO commentators, their vibe can not be replaced or improved on. They`ve never even had a slip of the tongue saying "Tom Pidcock"! , like the SA dude did during the XCO Olympics, in the company of a fellow female commentator!

ah so it wasn't just me that recognized that Saffa accent. Any idea who it was?

1 hour ago, milky4130 said:

It was Gerald.

11 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Gerald de Kock, can’t recall his colleague’s name offhand. I think she often works with Eurosport. IMHO they did a good job and worked well together.

Another Saffa was the venue commentator, Max Cluer. Plus our own Nick Floros designed the course. 

22 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

I loved the post race feedback. they recap Bart and Rob's best moments of XCO racing over the past decade of RedBull coverage starting with Cascades. The battle between Julien and Nino was quite intense, A little tribute to Burry. Rob was tjanking proper at the end which was realy quite awesome to see as the commentary had real chemistry.

One of the funniest moments was Rob slapping an annoying fly off Bart’s forehead on live tv.😂

Next year we wake up to the big unknown

Edited by DieselnDust

3 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Gerald de Kock, can’t recall his colleague’s name offhand. I think she often works with Eurosport. IMHO they did a good job and worked well together.

Another Saffa was the venue commentator, Max Cluer. Plus our own Nick Floros designed the course. 

Yes, but he did have a bad slip of the tongue in the Olympics commentating when saying "Tom Pidcock". The lady commentator also found it slightly amusing. I tried to find the place in the video but can`t remember where it is. I think he said "Tom Cock" and tried to correct and said it wrong again.

Silly season thoughts: who will PFP be riding for next year (don't think it's going to be BMC)? 🤔

4 hours ago, tinmug said:

Silly season thoughts: who will PFP be riding for next year (don't think it's going to be BMC)? 🤔

a couple of rumours going around.

Ineos Ladies team is one, 

A return to Giant/Liv is circulating but probably the less likely of the two.

Unless the bigger teams are expanding, there's not much room in the Inn.

Avancini rumoured to be moving over to his own team (Caloi MTB racing) which could leave a spot open at Cannondale (also aligns with her desire to race #enduro, road and Mtb)

https://www.mountainbike.es/deporte/fichajes-2023-sabemos_263499_102.html

this website has a good article that’s well reasoned 

Edited by DieselnDust

• 3 months later...

So with Henrique Avancini leaving Cannondale Factory Racing I see Charlie Aldridge is training with the boys and girl in Stellenbosch. Exciting announcement in the first week of Jan?

annie Last is also training with them. Don’t want to read anything into that other than she is training with them.

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

So with Henrique Avancini leaving Cannondale Factory Racing I see Charlie Aldridge is training with the boys and girl in Stellenbosch. Exciting announcement in the first week of Jan?

annie Last is also training with them. Don’t want to read anything into that other than she is training with them.

Charlie is big mates with Simon 

• 4 months later...