UCI XCO World Cup 2022 Season

Hairy

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, DieselnDust said:

Tom is a well maintained race horse. He comes in , wins and heads of for a rest block.  

Mvdp is probably the worst maintained race horse of all, hence the slump. Pidcock will carry this form into Les Gets. Just have a look at his rides this week. All endurance and then he starts course practice on Thursday.

Course rules say the course has to be marked by plastic stakes of between 1.5m and 2m high. The orange markers are really just like the white paint used in some courses , guidelines. Also she was not consistently over the markers instead ducking over and under.

then there is also the commissaires making allowances for the conditions. No protest no foul and if there was she would have been penalised for it already 

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pidcock-opts-out-of-worlds-in-australia-due-to-racing-and-training-fatigue/?utm_content=cyclingnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

How sad was the post show? I do not understand how RB can just sell the sport and discard the commentators. This was something special that should not be ending.

20 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

How sad was the post show? I do not understand how RB can just sell the sport and discard the commentators. This was something special that should not be ending.

I do not think it was up to RBTV

The passion of mtbikers should not be for sale ever! Who gave UCI the right to sell the passion of mountain biking?

18 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

The passion of mtbikers should not be for sale ever! Who gave UCI the right to sell the passion of mountain biking?

The UCI gave it to themeselves, last time I checked they were kind of in charge…

I’m also sad and it was a great show the past few years, but ten years is a good run. As far as I can tell, Red Bull did tender for the new contract, but the UCI chose Discovery Networks over them, and a host of others. 

I do think people are worrying for nothing though. In all likelihood, there will still be free coverage like there is now, but it will just be run through GMBN (playsports network, who runs GCN/GMBN/GTN etc is owned by Discovery). They already provided the coverage of EWS for free on GMBN, and part of the changes coming next year is to align EWS more with other UCI MTBing events. 

Will miss Rob on commentary though. He has been fired from GMBN once before, so not sure if they will have him back.

51 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

No one is “just selling the sport and discarding” anything. 

The fact is that the TV rights are held by the governing body, the UCI. RBTV have other projects in the pipeline, some of which might include WC coverage. As Warner alluded to. So it seems the commentary team stays on with RBTV, outside of that they do have other gigs with RBTV as well other stuff. 

No one knows what the actual deal is going forward, the World Cup coverage may even expand with EWS. Chris Ball has some involvement, so that is encouraging at least.

Still, it is the end of an era. Ten years of consistent quality coverage and commentary leaves a substantial legacy to fulfil. Hopefully Discovery Sports step up here and maintain not only the standard and vibe, but also the accessibility. Bigger is not always better, we’ll see though.

21 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Will miss Rob on commentary though. He has been fired from GMBN once before, so not sure if they will have him back.

I won't. Certainly not for XCO, and there are better options for DH, like Eliot Jackson and Andrew Neethling. 

14 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

I won't. Certainly not for XCO, and there are better options for DH, like Eliot Jackson and Andrew Neethling. 

Each to their own I guess. I enjoy the energy rob brings to it. If its not your cup of tea, then hopefully you enjoy whoever the replacement is. 

Andrew was a decent rider, but I can’t say I know what his commentary sounds like. What I do know is whoever did Supersports commentary of the world champs two weeks back was absolutely shocking, they managed to turn what was an exciting race, into a snoozfest. I switched over to a VPN to watch on Red Bull halfway through the race.

Bart and Rob were great XCO commentators, their vibe can not be replaced or improved on. They`ve never even had a slip of the tongue saying "Tom Pidcock"! , like the SA dude did during the XCO Olympics, in the company of a fellow female commentator!

2 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Hos

steel is real viva singlespeeders

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Hos

steel is real viva singlespeeders

Steel is real but what is this new age singlespeed thing? Did someone`s derailleur break and then it became a thing? Mtb needs more than 1 gear. Give me back my full rigid steel 21 speed beast!