Steel MTB 29er hardtail

GMAN79

Hi there, I am looking for a decent steel frame hardtail (large 29er), bike or frame only. There were a few options available, which were either too expensive or I was too slow to react. Has the popularity of these bikes increased the demand and therefore selling price (some really high priced ones out there)? Would I be able to source one for less than R20k or even attempt to build one (have a few friends with extra spare parts). Feels a bit like a unicorn at the moment. šŸ˜€ Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had R20k available, Iā€™d get a Ritchey frame (new). I think Cytek are the distributors currently, so it is possible to order locally.04946525-0571-4056-A1AD-6C963BBDF383.png.262aeca3835b908ab4edcd005937a669.png

I love steel bikes. I've owned lots. I regret selling most of the ones I've sold.

With the Rapide frame being local, available and 'affordable' I question why one would go through the hassle of bringing in a frame for a similar (or greater) cost.Ā 

The frame/rigid fork combo deal is also banging.

I doubt the build or ride quality of the others is 'mind blowingly' better and the Geo is pretty spot on for modern standards. With the built in Sliding drop outs for SS/geared compatibility it ticks all the boxes.Ā 

You will be playing with very very small margins for a whole lot of effort bringing in something unsupported in SA.

But that's just me.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I love steel bikes. I've owned lots. I regret selling most of the ones I've sold.

With the Rapide frame being local, available and 'affordable' I question why one would go through the hassle of bringing in a frame for a similar (or greater) cost.Ā 

The frame/rigid fork combo deal is also banging.

I doubt the build or ride quality of the others is 'mind blowingly' better and the Geo is pretty spot on for modern standards. With the built in Sliding drop outs for SS/geared compatibility it ticks all the boxes.Ā 

You will be playing with very very small margins for a whole lot of effort bringing in something unsupported in SA.

But that's just me.Ā 

So following our last discussion a few days ago, have you cleared out the youngsters study fund for the new Rapide build yet?